Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Hard Acceleration?

Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

Just Curious...

Last edited by MrCool; 03-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
bald tires and a gas tank that gets low faster than usual

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

You know, like

Just Curious...
Instantaneous damage is highly unlikely. However, engines have moving parts (as I'm sure you know) that are most often a metal surface moving across another metal surface. Even with good lubricants, this causes wear over time, and frequent "anti-social behavior" (thanks Number 3) can accelerate that wear.

However, if your car has an issue that is causing knock, you can very rapidly cause massive engine damage. Proper maintenance and a bit of prudence with any modding should prevent any knocking though.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
bald tires and a gas tank that gets low faster than usual
and a case of permagrin.

If you take care of you Camaro properly this shouldn't be a problem. My 95 Z/28 has been to the track plenty of time and so far the only thing with a problem is the rear end.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
MrCool

So just an increase in wear and tear basically?

Oh...I thought there was an instantaneous damage like Xanthos said.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
na man anything can happen u know but its highly unlikely a big boom will occur...My 99 camaro has a 140,000 miles on it and i push it hard often, and no boom.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
7CAMARO7

almost every pretty day outside I get on mine about as hard as you can get on it. Like I said, tires will get balder and gas will leave faster, otherwise enjoy it and it will take the beating. If you've got a m6 then your clutch will not last so long either if you drive like me lol. I've got a fix for that too though.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7
If you've got a m6 then your clutch will not last so long either if you drive like me lol. I've got a fix for that too though.
Right now my dad has an automatic '94 Z28. With 210,XXX miles. :(

Man I love gettin' in that car, a Camaro is a real mans car. It's loud, and just says "Get the F*** outta my way..."
Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Right now my dad has an automatic '94 Z28. With 210,XXX miles. :(

Man I love gettin' in that car, a Camaro is a real mans car. It's loud, and just says "Get the F*** outta my way..."
Funny thing, when I was shopping for my '02 SS my uncle asked me why I do not get a corvette. He said it's a real man's car. To me they do not have the attitude, swag, macheezmo, or cohones that the Camaro does Unless it is a Z06 or better I won't touch a base vette. I'd much rather have a 4th gen Z28 or SS with an ls1 than a base vette of pretty much any gen. As far as racing goes I've got a few C5s under my belt even a Z06 lol. Never raced a c6 of any kind though.

Camaro is just a badass!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
MrCool

Quote:
Funny thing, when I was shopping for my '02 SS my uncle asked me why I do not get a corvette. He said it's a real man's car. To me they do not have the attitude, swag, macheezmo, or cohones that the Camaro does Unless it is a Z06 or better I won't touch a base vette. I'd much rather have a 4th gen Z28 or SS with an ls1 than a base vette of pretty much any gen. As far as racing goes I've got a few C5s under my belt even a Z06 lol. Never raced a c6 of any kind though.

Camaro is just a badass!
Hell yea man!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #11
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Quote:

Camaro is just a badass!
Sorry, my friend. But, I just drove my 02 Vette again and was happy all the way. If you have a couple of C5 Vettes on racing either you have mods vs a stock or the other driver didn't know how to drive. I love my 95 Z/28 but I give props where they are due. The Vette has its own place anomgst sports cars and it is a fantastic place. That doesn't take away from the Camaro but as a driver, and lover, of both, I can honestly say that they are GREAT complements of each other.

If you want a Camaro over a Vette, cool, but don't diss America's Sports Car. It has truly earned it place.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
Sorry, my friend. But, I just drove my 02 Vette again and was happy all the way. If you have a couple of C5 Vettes on racing either you have mods vs a stock or the other driver didn't know how to drive. I love my 95 Z/28 but I give props where they are due. The Vette has its own place anomgst sports cars and it is a fantastic place. That doesn't take away from the Camaro but as a driver, and lover, of both, I can honestly say that they are GREAT complements of each other.

If you want a Camaro over a Vette, cool, but don't diss America's Sports Car. It has truly earned it place.
I'm not dissing vettes. I like them, but love Camaros. I was simply giving my opinion. And yes, I do have mods and think I drive pretty good

Also, from my last race with a stock a4 c5 I'd say my '02 SS vert m6 would've destroyed it no matter if my bolton car was stock or modded. The C5 I raced obviously had 2.73 gears in the rear end which are a killer of down low performance. My car was toward the top of first (35mph) where I can put down more hp and tq while the c5 was noteably lower in the rpm range as well as hp and tq. This gave me the advantage and made him give me the excuse of him needing an oil change

Even if we went from a dig I think I'da ripped him a new one. From like 35-60 I put a car on him after giving him the punch, while spinning past him in 2nd. Note: I'm going to stickier tires so I do less spinning, for now I just pedal it if I need too lol

vettes are nice cars, just not my taste... unless it is the Z0 or ZR

Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
MrCool

In comparison:

When it comes to the 'vette, when someone sees one on the street, they KNOW it's a fast car. But when someone sees a '94 Z28, with horrible exterior, but a strong engine, his jaw will drop when that thing takes off like a rocket.

It just boils down to what your tastes are, what a boring world we would live in if everyone were the same.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
7CAMARO7

Quote:
In comparison:

When it comes to the 'vette, when someone sees one on the street, they KNOW it's (always sometimes, and supposed to be) a fast car. But when someone sees a '94 Z28, with horrible exterior, but a strong engine, his jaw will drop when that thing takes off like a rocket.

It just boils down to what your tastes are, what a boring world we would live in if everyone were the same.
Fixed it and

Tags
acceloration, camaro, ls1, lt1, z28