Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
Ghost78

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
well they replaced the oil cooler block and took the car for a test drive and it is still leaking oil and now they are going to let one of the mechanics who does engine work take a look at the problem but not until early next week so the car has to stay in the shop over the weekend. Very Frustrating !

70 and sunny in Minnesota today
Ghost78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #58
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
This is what GM has to say about the oil leaks and the manual transmission issue..."Nope, No TSB on either of those" .".We have yet to see an engine leaking any oil"....and "we are unable to duplicate customer concerns about the transmission issue"
Attached Images

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #59
Ghost78

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
After 1 week in the shop I finally got my car back. Turns out it had a cracked oil cooler core at the lower oil port also oil pan gasket was leaking. Funny,the tech at my dealer called GM Technical assistance and was told that oil pan gaskets are not common for this engine.

Anyway I will be keeping an eye out for any leaks
Ghost78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #60
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Dammit. I just looked under mine and sure enough, the oil cooler has a drop of oil on it and looks identical to the OPs picture. Looks like I'm another lucky winner here. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheHorse13; 04-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #61
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Just had some gears installed at ADM and he pointed out the oil cooler leak plus an oil pan leak. Andy said it was real common an he pretty much checks everyones that comes in.

I am super worried about taking it to a dealer but looks like I may have no choice. I'll probably take it in next week and keep my fingers crossed something else doesn't get screwed up.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #62
TheHorse13

UPDATE 1: I went to the dealer and they looked over the oil cooler and the rest of the common areas that leak. They confirmed what I already know and they told me that they have to follow a repair procedure for the oil cooler leak issue. The first step is to replace the gasket and two O rings. If that fails, then they replace the entire cooler. They don't have to empty the oil pan and they always place Mobil 1 in Camaros and Corvettes. They estimate that they will spill about a quart of oil during the process.

I go back next Monday for the gasket/O ring replacement. They told me I could wait for the repair to be done. They estimated about an hour and a half. I'm sure some of this time is to allow the car to cool down some before starting the job.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #63
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Anyone tried replacing the oil cooler gaskets yourself? I don't like the dealer touching my car. Especially when it comes to drivetrain issues. I will if I have to but from initial looks it doesn't seem like it would be too bad.....messy but not hard.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #64
TheHorse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Anyone tried replacing the oil cooler gaskets yourself? I don't like the dealer touching my car. Especially when it comes to drivetrain issues. I will if I have to but from initial looks it doesn't seem like it would be too bad.....messy but not hard.
If your car was cold (like sitting overnight) you could be done with the process in 15 minutes. It's not hard at all. Your problem comes later if the leak comes back and you run into complications with your warranty. The oil cooler is a 500 dollar item. I'd rather have the dealer handle it so that I don't have any unforseen warranty issues. It's not worth the risk of a dealer saying that you caused the problem when you messed with it so they're not touching it.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #65
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Don't even bother with the o rings and gaskets. The leakers need a new cooler. Been there, done that, several times.

Do that before messing with the pan, because the cooler leak will make it look like the pan is also leaking.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #66
TheHorse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Don't even bother with the o rings and gaskets. The leakers need a new cooler. Been there, done that, several times.

Do that before messing with the pan, because the cooler leak will make it look like the pan is also leaking.
I printed out and showed this thread to the dealer. I pointed out that the cooler should be replaced to fix it for good. They didn't care. They said they must follow the process and the first step is the gaskets and O rings. If that doesn't fix it, you can be sure I will raise hell for wasting my time.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #67
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Rear main seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Ghost78, after your base bumper to bumper or powertrain warranties are over you also get a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on replacement parts and labor when you pay for both from your dealer. If you buy the part from your dealer you get a warranty on the part and not the labor. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and your dealer can get this taken care of for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
If your rear main seal is replaced, the manual tranny will be dropped. I'm thinking this may damage the tranny and the exhaust system if not put back to spec's. Is there anything we can do or check to make certain all is OK. Thank you for your help.

Regards.

George
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #68
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry George. I would have any ideas on what to check. I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't be able to tell what to check or how to check it or how to tell if I checked what could be wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #69
nm1458

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
My 2010 ls3 has a leaking oil cooler as well. Called the dealer today.
nm1458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #70
TheHorse13

I had the gaskets replaced last Friday. I backed the car out this morning and what do I see on the floor? Yep. An oil spot the size of a dime. A quick picture taken under the car showed a drip hanging off the frame cross member.

This means one of two things. Either they got oil inside the relief cuts in the frame and some dripped out or the cooler is leaking again from a different spot.

I called the dealer and I will be going under the car this evening after work to see what I can find.
Attached Images