Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
Injen CAI sucks - WATER!

Ok,
I have heard some talk on the forums about this. I guess I was like everyone else, it won't happen to me, extreme case, whatever.
I was wrong.
I was on a two week trip from Sudbury, ON Canada to Boston, down the East Coast to Virginia, Across to Nashville, the home through Michigan. During those heavy rains as I was driving through Maryland, it happened. On well graded highway, only doing about 40 mph, speed limit 55 I think it was. with no puddles involved. The car started missing and the engine light came on. I pulled over and shut it down. Waited a couple minutes and fired it up again, still missing. I pulled gently into a side street beside a corn field and hit the Onstar button. While waiting for a tow I pulled out my handy Swiss Army pocket knife (Koodos to Swiss Army) because it was the only thing resembling tools I had, and removed the hose attached to the throttle body . There was water in front of the butterfly valve. After drying out over night, the dealer said everything was ok. They said it was a good thing I shut it down right away.
After a tow, inspection, rental and tools I was out almost $350. The next day I bought tools and shortened the long tube into the engine compartment before proceeding in pouring rain.
I still have to replace the CAI and the windshield washer bottle since others won't work with the Injen washer bottle location.

Bottom line, DO NOT run the Injen long tube CAI without the add on water trap (apparently an option now). As I said, I am switching to a different brand to avoid this potential fatal design flaw.
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Mine did it with the hydra-shield, but it was after about 30k miles on it. It didn't happen until after I cleaned the filter. I think after I took the filter off to clean it that either the elastic on the hydra-shield was stretched out too far, or the tube was warped and the filter didn't seal against the tube, allowing water to get sucked inside the tube. My car shut down 2 separate occasions before I switched back to the stock airbox. Each time, there was water foam in the tube which I suspect caused the MAF to think there was no or little airflow.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
that sucks i have injen for like 2 years now i live in miami and have never had a issue and i dont even run the hydro sheild either
Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Swarm

Drives: 2013 Mustang V6
Got Injen for almost 3 years with no problems.

[BBK LT Headers] [Trifecta Tune] [Injen Intake] [Black Iceloater] [MRT V2 Exhaust] [Sold]

Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Ive had injen for almost three years too and no issues. and I mean, I have driven thru pretty bad storms in NY, VA, MD, DE and all over the east coast.. no water at all.. I am running the hydro shield.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
Got Injen for almost 3 years with no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Ive had injen for almost three years too and no issues. and I mean, I have driven thru pretty bad storms in NY, VA, MD, DE and all over the east coast.. no water at all.. I am running the hydro shield.

..........over 3 years, NP at all. Using a hydro shield. Been thru some HEAVY down pours........
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

unless u took off the mud guard between the cold air and tire then that tire is going to throw water at the filter like crazy.. or if you went ahead and pretended to be a submarine captian then yea lol
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
Nope, no puddles were involved and the mud guard was intact. I have had it for two years, and this is the first problem. Thought it wouldn't happen to me either, but it did. Now, the only way for me to feel comfortable is to get rid of what caused the problem in the first place.
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4dude View Post
Nope, no puddles were involved and the mud guard was intact.
dam i dont know what could of happened i even have the duct with a custom made scoop going right to the fliter
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4dude View Post
Nope, no puddles were involved and the mud guard was intact. I have had it for two years, and this is the first problem. Thought it wouldn't happen to me either, but it did. Now, the only way for me to feel comfortable is to get rid of what caused the problem in the first place.

Over 2 years and about 30k miles for me. Didn't have any issues at all until after I removed it to clean it. After that, the 2 real heavy downpours - raining so hard visibility was limited - I had the issues.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote