Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Piece Together Turbo? (LLT)

Just thinking out loud here, but how much would it cost to piece your own turbo kit together? I guess what i'm thinking is, can you buy just the plumbing/piping of an existing kit?

The kit i'm thinking about is the STS rear mount kit. I know most everyone that went with this kit has had issues, but I think most had to do with the turbo and/or oil. My idea is to get a Comp Turbo (oil-less), and run it like the STS. I could try to top mount it, and that can still be an option, if there is a turbo kit out there, where you can just buy the piping. Or am I over simplifying all of this? I know there are other parts that are needed/recommended, but for the majority, how feasible is this?

it should also be mentioned that I would install this myself. I have access to a lot of tools, welding, and whatnot.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
About 3k

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

lol, ok. I guess i'd just have to contact sts, and see how much it would cost for the piping, minus the oil lines and such.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Anything is possible... I think I'd personally try to avoid a remote mount setup like the STS, you'd be better off mounting the turbo closer to the engine.

I've never heard of this oil-less turbo technology until you mentioned it. I've never been gung-ho about turbos because most people's biggest headaches are related to the oiling and cooling it seems. I looked at their website and picked up some turbos I would consider for a twin setup, and they're about 1800-2000ea... Hmmm a little spendy. One big enough for a single would probably be in the 2000-2500 range, just for the turbo.

I'd also be leery of the oil-less technology. They list that under the "Racing Turbochargers" category... I think it might be find for short drives around town, and short bursts on the race track, but in my mind, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to take on an 8hr road trip? Maybe someone else that knows more about this oil-less tech will chime in.

To give you an idea, I was quoted around $5000 for just the hot side piping and 2 turbos for a twin turbo kit (as I wanted to do my own cold side), granted those turbos were not oil-less. I could drop almost 4k on two of those oil-less turbos, but it doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Anything is possible... I think I'd personally try to avoid a remote mount setup like the STS, you'd be better off mounting the turbo closer to the engine.

I've never heard of this oil-less turbo technology until you mentioned it. I've never been gung-ho about turbos because most people's biggest headaches are related to the oiling and cooling it seems. I looked at their website and picked up some turbos I would consider for a twin setup, and they're about 1800-2000ea... Hmmm a little spendy. One big enough for a single would probably be in the 2000-2500 range, just for the turbo.

I'd also be leery of the oil-less technology. They list that under the "Racing Turbochargers" category... I think it might be find for short drives around town, and short bursts on the race track, but in my mind, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to take on an 8hr road trip? Maybe someone else that knows more about this oil-less tech will chime in.

To give you an idea, I was quoted around $5000 for just the hot side piping and 2 turbos for a twin turbo kit (as I wanted to do my own cold side), granted those turbos were not oil-less. I could drop almost 4k on two of those oil-less turbos, but it doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
bingo, my biggest reason not to go with turbo because of the many stories I hear about the down time, because of oil, and heat soak.

but yeah, the oil-less turbos from Comp have been out for a few years now, and it's hard to find any kind of reviews, but from what little I've read, it's been nothing but great so far. They recommend servicing 3/36k, which really isn't that bad. Our Camaro isn't a daily driver, so i'm not too worried about long continuous use. They are a little pricey, the one I found was just under 2k and it's good for 540hp. which is more than enough for us.

and the biggest reason for the remote setup is to help reduce heat in the engine bay. but like I said, if there's a top mount turbo kit available, where I can just buy the piping, that's also an option.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I like info...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I like info too...
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

have to wait until Monday to get info.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Just post the info, everybody loves info!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Poormc, I custom built a remote mount in my driveway, running for over 50k miles (332whp 305wtq, 13.4 @ 111mph). I have a parts list in excel format that documents all of the expenses if you want that pm me. Remote mount is great as long as you invest in a quality oil pump (ie turbowerx) and have a working pcv setup. You can also buy twin turbo up-pipes that work with the stock manifold for cheap from http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...let/StoreFront if you want to go that route, they won't be in the store listings so you will have email the store and ask for them specifically.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertion View Post
Just post the info, everybody loves info!
I don't have the info, I have to wait until Monday to get it, per lscamaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Poormc, I custom built a remote mount in my driveway, running for over 50k miles (332whp 305wtq, 13.4 @ 111mph). I have a parts list in excel format that documents all of the expenses if you want that pm me. Remote mount is great as long as you invest in a quality oil pump (ie turbowerx) and have a working pcv setup. You can also buy twin turbo up-pipes that work with the stock manifold for cheap from http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...let/StoreFront if you want to go that route, they won't be in the store listings so you will have email the store and ask for them specifically.
ok, pm coming your way. Although, i'm looking at oil-less turbo's.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Info? Haha I get excited when it comes to turbo llt's
Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
Jn2

Drives: Solstice GXP
U could always pick up a used Holsett HX35 or 40 depending on your goals. With a remote set up, your main issue is supplying oil to the turbo, you normally need a pump to help feed and also drain the oil back into the engine. If the pump ever fails, so will the turbo. Don't forget to budget for tuning as well.
Jn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
U could always pick up a used Holsett HX35 or 40 depending on your goals. With a remote set up, your main issue is supplying oil to the turbo, you normally need a pump to help feed and also drain the oil back into the engine. If the pump ever fails, so will the turbo. Don't forget to budget for tuning as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, that's why I'm looking for oil-less turbos