Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #57
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Read this, if it has too much end play then you will either need a new crank or a bearing that has a thicker trust flange but this probably won't happen.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...shaft-endplay/
Thanks I will check it out. I'm checking the caps and plugs now and then bearings. Do the cam bearings have clearances that need measured also?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #58
Witt51

Quote:
make sure all of the plugs are in correctly too

If the oring in the barbell is worn what would it do? The oring is flat but doubt that would cause this.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #59
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
probably not, I would replace it though
Old 04-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #60
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
A few companies make a really nice billet oil barbell/diverter for less than $30. Would probably make a nice upgrade while you have things apart. SAC City Corvette is one I know of.

https://www.saccitycorvette.com/Billet-BarBell.html

Obviously this isn't a necessity, but for the price it's kind of a 'why not while I'm in there' buy.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #61
Witt51

I wanted to add a little update to what I found so far and I think I messed up when putting the motor together. I was doing it over a few month process and part of that time was me moving to a new house. During that time my garage wasnt the cleanest it should of been.

So I pulled the oil pan off and found a layer of lint fibers that looked like they came from my shop towels. I don't know if this would cause my oil pressure to never go past 30 psi and not rise with rpm.

I just wanted to put this out and see if this could be the cause but It's probably a long shot though. I posted a couple pictures. One is the lint that I scraped off and the other is picture showing what was covered up.

I know I screwed up when putting it together and should of waited til i moved where I am now and have a nice clean shop now.

Any ideas? besides keep things cleaner when I'm working

Old 04-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #62
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
I would definitely think that could make your oil pressure drop
Old 04-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #63
Witt51

Quote:
I would definitely think that could make your oil pressure drop
I was talking to another guy on here that's helped me a great deal and he said the same thing. I'm going to check the bearings and put a new oil pump packed with Vaseline and then put it back in.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #64
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt51 View Post
Why can't anything be easy. It's all a big pain in the butt everytime I try to do something

OP, I was reading through this and saw this and I had to laugh - WITH you! This describes my mechanical (electrical, plumbing, etc, etc) life. I have a saying, ‘Simple job turned nightmare.’ I feel for you. There’s a lot of things I’d like to do to my car but I don’t trust anyone else and I’m sure I’d be back to your original question if I did it myself. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #65
Witt51

I just checked the bearings and Clearances. I think this is the issue. This was only the number 1 bearing I have done.

I removed cap put a strip of green plastigage on the crank. Torqued according to specs. Removed cap and the plastigage wasn't even touched. Used the red plastigage to see what I get and the clearance with that came out to . 006.

The crank journal has light scratches on it and the bearings are definitely bad. I can't figure out though by reading the bearings what it's telling me. Any ideas?

I'm most likely going to be changing the rod bearings and going to check the cam bearings to see if they are damaged.

I attached a couple pics. Last one is the plastigage after I installed the bearings and see that it wasn't even touched after torqued.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #66
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Kind f hard to say; Could be trash running through the engine. Be sure to check and plastigage all main bearings and rod bearings. Look for similarities or differences in wear patterns. Do you have a tune? How's the bearing crush, Do the bearings slide out of the saddle or pop out?
Old 04-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #67
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would wonder ab out the plugs at the back of the block, I remember buying my block and paying extra for all the installed plugs and such on just a short block to make sure it was done right by real LS expert at custom engine supply/Sag performance. Otherwise lacking a plug in the back would have made the lack of pressure you describe. My bock runs like 70 up cold never when hot idling goes down to 30.. Good Luck. Your bearings look like you ran them a little dry no great scrapes so no big contamination...so new bearings and things done right and a good check by a real good engine guru with lots of LS experience and you might find the problem...…. was just one little thing....
Old 04-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #68
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Yea pretty sure they cut the crank and ordered regular sized bearings this engine was started twice on a fresh rebuild and shut down asap when the low oil pressure was seen. So he's got .009" clearance on the bearing when it would have been .004 with the right bearings. Crank slapped around hitting the bearings.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #69
Witt51

Greenhornet has been giving me a hand with some guidance. Which I really appreciate.

I removed the heads and pulled the cam tonight to check the cam bearings. They don't look awful but since I'm there I'm going to replace them for piece of mind.

I pulled the #1 rod bearing and checked the clearance it was at about. 0019 which is with in specs from what I've found. The scratches on the bearing are only on the surface. I can't feel them when running my finger nail across them.

I've checked the plugs and they are all there. The bearings are in place in the caps and not popping or sliding out and I haven't checked the bearing crush yet but will tomorrow.

I feel the best about taking the crank to a shop to get looked to see if can be turned and throwing all new bearings in it.

This is the Pic of the rod bearing.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #70
Witt51

This is the other 4 main bearings. The #5 bearing is the worse one but the scratches aren't as deep as they look. In the pictures I know they look awful.