Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #71
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Yea pretty sure they cut the crank and ordered regular sized bearings this engine was started twice on a fresh rebuild and shut down asap when the low oil pressure was seen. So he's got .009" clearance on the bearing when it would have been .004 with the right bearings. Crank slapped around hitting the bearings.
Damn that sucks. If a shop built that I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t go back to them. Especially if they were the ones to to under size the crank and then order bearings.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #72
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Damn that sucks. If a shop built that I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t go back to them. Especially if they were the ones to to under size the crank and then order bearings.
I won't be going back there again. I'm in a Facebook car club and I ask for a machine shop recommendation and people keep giving me that same machine shop name.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #73
Witt51

A update for this issue. Machine shop checked it and the main journals were turned . 010 but the rod journal are standard. I don't know of any situation that you would turn one set of journals and not the other. I verified they had standard size main bearing in there.

It amazes me that at a machine shop that is checking the crank and building the bottom end that would be caught. They could of just checked rod journals and then assume that all bearings should just be standard.

They are able to polish the crank but now I have to try to pick what bearings to use out of the thousands of options.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #74
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
It's common practice to only turn the set of journals that has an issue. If one main journal is scored they will turn all the mains but if the rod journals are fine there's no reason to turn them.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #75
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Agreed.
As for crush, the tell-tale is how easy they move around. (If you were to re-seat one, does it have to be pushed into place or does it slip in with no effort.) Doesn't really matter now. It looks like you're on the right track and you'll be replacing them anyway.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #76
Witt51

I'm going to give a little update. I finished up installing the motor and getting everything back together yesterday. Took the car out for a drive today and everything is all good now. Sitting at about 32 psi at idle when warmed up.

Thanks to greenhornet again for all the help. He walked me through almost everything and gave me a ton of good advice along the way. I haven't had this car up and going in almost 2 1/2 years all together.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #77
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt51 View Post
I'm going to give a little update. I finished up installing the motor and getting everything back together yesterday. Took the car out for a drive today and everything is all good now. Sitting at about 32 psi at idle when warmed up.

Thanks to greenhornet again for all the help. He walked me through almost everything and gave me a ton of good advice along the way. I haven't had this car up and going in almost 2 1/2 years all together.

I just took the time to read through this entire post. You have had one hell of a journey but so happy to hear you up and running. Another positive note from all the hardships is you have gained some serious knowledge! Keep her between the lines!

Larry
Old 05-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #78
Witt51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
I just took the time to read through this entire post. You have had one hell of a journey but so happy to hear you up and running. Another positive note from all the hardships is you have gained some serious knowledge! Keep her between the lines!

Larry
Thanks. It's been very rough. My parents and family are even celebrating. I have definitely learned alot, Especially the ends and outs of the engine. I'm pretty confident I can do this again with no problems. I've actually enjoyed it in way. I've always liked tinkering with things.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #79
Greenhornet2

Now you have the added pride when anyone asks you about it that you did it yourself bottom to top and that is worth a lot! I'm very happy this is working out for you, i was stressed for you at a few points lol.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #80
Witt51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Now you have the added pride when anyone asks you about it that you did it yourself bottom to top and that is worth a lot! I'm very happy this is working out for you, i was stressed for you at a few points lol.
Lol. I figured you were pulling your hair out with me. It definitely feels good. Your the man!! Thanks again for everything

Old 05-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #81
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt51 View Post
Lol. I figured you were pulling your hair out with me. It definitely feels good. Your the man!! Thanks again for everything

No problem man. You deserve to enjoy your car.