Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I seem to remember reading/hearing that head-unit replacement is dying off. That automakers are going the way of the "Silver box". Which is pretty much the car's brain. The stereo, gps, power windows, etc all get routed through one computer, and the radio controls are just buttons attached to it. Could be wrong, though.

You are 100% correct. It's called multiplex, and BMW and MB started doing this in the mid-1990s with their electronics.

It is much more economical, and better for quality control, to engineer one main computer from which every vehicle accessory is operated, than to install many different components, each with their own main processors and memory.

How do you think most luxury marques get 2 person memory from the keyfob remotes for the seat position, steering wheel position, climate control settings, and stereo settings (the Lexus LS460 will even custom set the equalizer settings in memory based on which remote is used if it has the Mark Levinson system)?

I worked in the car electronics industry untill about a month ago when I switched to medical equipment, and I'll say the days of the DIN and DIN and 1/2 and double DIN standard stereo sizes are a thing of the past. Now, you can still, as some have said, wait untill some aftermarket company gets their hands on a vehicle and size up the fitment, contour, and electronic integration to put a standard DIN size aftermarket radio in. It will just be increasingly harder now without loosing other vehicle features, or without adding other electronic filters and processors in between.

My advice, and this is something I may do myself on my own Camaro, is keep the stock head unit, and if you want good sound run amps off the output of the stock head unit. You may have to install some gain adjustments to either turn them up or down before you hit your power amps, but its alot easier, safer, and better quality to do it this way.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
I think I will keep the stock unit as well but I will be running aftermarket amps and subs. It is good to know that it is possible because I am debating on one or two 13W7's.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
NewYorkjon
Chef

Drives: 2007 Civic SI, 2010 Camaro SS
Is Gm going to have an option for a factory Nav unit?, that is the only thing I will want to change, lol
NewYorkjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkjon View Post
Is Gm going to have an option for a factory Nav unit?, that is the only thing I will want to change, lol
That won't be an option for the Camaro any time soon. The best you've got for navigation is OnStar coupled with a personal navigation unit. I like those better anyway.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #19
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I thought I read that navigation would become available as an option late 2009
Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Well that sucks

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Good thing I am not buying until late 2009, seems the first batch of Camaro's will be missing features I treasure.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #22
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Just as long as the factory CD has 24bit DAC, it'll stay put... otherwise that will be first thing modded (even if i have to pull the factory deck apart and solder in better components)
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Just as long as the factory CD has 24bit DAC, it'll stay put... otherwise that will be first thing modded (even if i have to pull the factory deck apart and solder in better components)

That probably won't be possible: the HVAC, heated seats (if you get leather), power door lock button, hazzard flasher button, and all the radio and CD player controls look like they are integrated into one component. If you get the connections package or BA sound system it will also have the bluetooth functions integrated.

Your suggestion of "pulling the deck appart and soldering in better components" would require not only the factory schematic for the head unit, but also how it is integrated into the car's ECU, and where the tuner and amplifiers are located (the tuner isn't in the head unit, I can tell you that), so you will need to ask Sheryl Pilcher for the 500+ page full body control manual and wiring diagram.

Have fun!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
MEENGREENGTP
FLAWLESS PRODUCTIONS LLC.

Drives: Grand Prix GTP Comp G
its gonna really suck if theres no way to change it.. all my cars i've ever owned i've done something with the stereo... i love Pioneer Double Din DVD/Navi units..... =(

what the hell am i gonna do with subs.. can i even fit any in the trunk? through the back seat??! =(

HUD isnt all its cracked up to be.. after a while u forget its there.. i have one in the gtp, who cares.. im getting this thing NOW. im done waiting
MEENGREENGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEENGREENGTP View Post
its gonna really suck if theres no way to change it.. all my cars i've ever owned i've done something with the stereo... i love Pioneer Double Din DVD/Navi units..... =(

what the hell am i gonna do with subs.. can i even fit any in the trunk? through the back seat??! =(

The days of throwing a system into a car in a day are pretty much over. Even for cheapo cars like a Civic. Eventually, every new car will have full multiplex integration of all electronic functions.

Your best bet, if you insist on putting subs into the car, is check the Boston Accoustic sound system box on your order form, and then upgrade the sub (I recall there will be a sub included with the system).

Now, there is the option of bypassing the factory amplifiers and running your own amps. You will need to find where the low voltage pre-amped signal goes into the factory amps, pull them out of the factory amps, and route them to your own amps (however, for all I know, they could be grouped in a harness of about a hundred wires). Then, using your own speaker wire, run that wiring to all of your own upgraded speakers. Then you will at least have the system you want without the near impossible task of replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one (plus you also get to keep your bluetooth and steering wheel controls).

The downside of that is, again without the factory wiring diagram you won't know which wires are pre-amp into the amps and which ones are amplified output (trust me, there will me more than just audio wires going in and out of the factory amps - you will have digital communication wiring that the head unit, ECM, and tuner will all use to communicate with the amps). Everything is digital logic now, so you can also forget your old fashioned +12 vdc power, +12 vdc switched, and ground running the factory amps.

You'll still need them for your aftermarket amps (since the battery is in the trunk now, that will be easy), but you may not even find a +12 vdc switched line anywhere in the car (maybe the 12 volt accessory outlet on the console by the gear shift).

So, having said all that, before you even go out the store and buy a single speaker wire or a set of subs, do your homework. Test all the wires by the factory amplifiers to see what is what (don't short them out though).

If there is something you aren't sure of, don't attempt anything.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I switched out my factory deck in my 2002 Monte Carlo and it was a BEYOTCH! I put in the Alpine XDA-001, it cost a butt load to get it to hook up to my steering wheel controls, on star and door chimes. I had to buy three different harness, it ended up costing me around $800...not worth it, I'll never get rid of another factory installed deck again. :(
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
num1panthersfan

Drives: Mazda Rx-8
IDK cuz i've seen quite a few mazda rx-8's with aftermarket decks in and everything is all tied up in the OEM deck except the door locks. So we might be able to put aftermarket decks in eventually or at least i hope so.
num1panthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #28
chevyXstacy

Drives: Chevy Malibu
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyXstacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbird777 View Post
I think I will keep the stock unit as well but I will be running aftermarket amps and subs. It is good to know that it is possible because I am debating on one or two 13W7's.
I agree I think Im going the stealth way also the only thing I may consider replacing the factory speakers with speakers that handle a higher wattage
chevyXstacy is offline   Reply With Quote