Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
LoL - I figured that the JBL W12GTI was about 11" deep but couldnt think of many others... but I know they are out there

But back to the OP - It totally depends on the sound your looking for...

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Position them however you want, and I'll wager most here, if any one here, myself included, in a blind test, will not be able to tell which way you faced them. The difference in sound is that close, minute, not really there, that quite possibly only trained ears will detect the subtle differences and be able to tell you how the subs are faced. Bass is omnidirectional, it's shape so big, that the only thing really affected by how the subs are faced is output on a mic, and that's due to how the wave develops, and if you caught in on a peak. I'll take money even trained ears will have a hard time, repeatily, being accurate in how a sub is faced, in car.

Another sad truth, about in car audio. What happens on paper doesn't translate straight into what happens in car. Too many things affect in car performance, from cabin size, to cabin insulation, to location of braces and brackets to how wore down your seats are and if your sun visors are up or down. Not too mention where your seats are adjusted too and if you have those funky beaded seat covers. Yeah, those seat covers can actually add a little to the output of a sound system. You won't hear it, but the mic will.

My advice? Build it for how you want it to look, and how much trunk you want left. You want a certain response? Build the enclosure to suit that ideal, it's the enclosure that's the most important part of the install anyway.

Hoffman's Iron Law says you can two out of three things. Small enclosure, lowend response or high efficiency. You can't have all three. Car audio is a game of compromise. Here's a good read from a car audio forum I frequent. It's put into terms better then I could do it, and while it doesn't truly answer the question as to which way is the best to face subs, it'll give you a little insight into how this talk about cargo room, sub enclosure size and power all have to give and take in a vehicle.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I want to rip the back seat out and install two 15" with full glass. Has anybody taken the back seat out yet?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I want to rip the back seat out and install two 15" with full glass. Has anybody taken the back seat out yet?
Nice! cant wait to see it!

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Position them however you want, and I'll wager most here, if any one here, myself included, in a blind test, will not be able to tell which way you faced them. The difference in sound is that close, minute, not really there, that quite possibly only trained ears will detect the subtle differences and be able to tell you how the subs are faced. Bass is omnidirectional, it's shape so big, that the only thing really affected by how the subs are faced is output on a mic, and that's due to how the wave develops, and if you caught in on a peak. I'll take money even trained ears will have a hard time, repeatily, being accurate in how a sub is faced, in car.

Another sad truth, about in car audio. What happens on paper doesn't translate straight into what happens in car. Too many things affect in car performance, from cabin size, to cabin insulation, to location of braces and brackets to how wore down your seats are and if your sun visors are up or down. Not too mention where your seats are adjusted too and if you have those funky beaded seat covers. Yeah, those seat covers can actually add a little to the output of a sound system. You won't hear it, but the mic will.

My advice? Build it for how you want it to look, and how much trunk you want left. You want a certain response? Build the enclosure to suit that ideal, it's the enclosure that's the most important part of the install anyway.

Hoffman's Iron Law says you can two out of three things. Small enclosure, lowend response or high efficiency. You can't have all three. Car audio is a game of compromise. Here's a good read from a car audio forum I frequent. It's put into terms better then I could do it, and while it doesn't truly answer the question as to which way is the best to face subs, it'll give you a little insight into how this talk about cargo room, sub enclosure size and power all have to give and take in a vehicle.

All true, then if you add Time Delay to the mix that will make it even harder to discern the sub direction.

I have been competing and juding Sound Q comps for years and I can tell you the mrray is saying about even trained ears being able to tell is 100% true. I do not know of a single person that could get it right more then 30% of the time as most of it would be guessing.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
spi

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
Send a message via MSN to spi Send a message via Yahoo to spi
i have a mtx 9500 with a mtx x thunder 1000xd amp pushing it, in a ported box built specifically for a 9500 by mtx, mine is facing the rear of the car and it is one of the hardest hitting subs in town. but its personal reference, i thought about building a raised floor in my trunk and putting it in the spare tire place over the battery, but i opted for the box.

VIN# 2G1FK1EJ0A9106637
spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
All true, then if you add Time Delay to the mix that will make it even harder to discern the sub direction.

I have been competing and juding Sound Q comps for years and I can tell you the mrray is saying about even trained ears being able to tell is 100% true. I do not know of a single person that could get it right more then 30% of the time as most of it would be guessing.
With Time Delay, it'll be hard to pinpoint where the sub is, nevermind how it's faced, if adjusted properly.

God, I hate time alignment, lol. I'm so glad I'm a basshead when it comes to car audio. I played with it once in one of my trucks and with an Alpine h/u. So glad it was easy to restore to default, lol. I seriously jacked the sound bad!! Me? good strong frontend, nice loud, deep lowend, and Kent is a happy man, lol.