Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #71
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
I'd race one of your 700hp twin turbo cars with my puny Whipple.
You would. Really? Thanks.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #72
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
You would. Really? Thanks.
Yes I would. See a lot of big numbers but nothing fast yet

Just saying.

Fast list should be nothing but turbo cars. That's not the case is it
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #73
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
1/4 mile drag racing is more about car setup, wonky suspensions, and 55gal drums of VHT. If we are talking power adder vs. power adder and not these tires vs. these tires, we should look to other forms of racing like the texas mile. No PD camaro5 has ever run over 200mph in a standing mile without nitrous. Bunch of TT and Centri cars have. Where's the PD power?

Actual street racing where you can't VHT down the track and do a smokey burnout on your 15" slicks, TT kills PD every time. Been there, done that with PD cars that claim to dyno 100whp more than our TT set-ups.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #74
davisonss

Drives: 2014 camaro 2ss
Centri's are always good option for the price point. If you're just looking at fun highway pulls and roll racing from similar speeds. Without knowing the distances and speeds involved I would still recommend the pd blower for reasons mentioned prior. Having an automatic you're going to have a bit less control of keeping your rpm in the sweet spot so to speak of turbo or centri systems. Sure you can use paddles but you lose any advantage you had for being an auto at that point.

If you wanna do drag racing every weekend. You can do alot with a good centri system at that power level with the cost savings going to a good stall, trans tune, tires, and bushings. The little crap that goes in organized race conditions.

The things I don't like about Centri's is that it share's many of the cons of both turbo's and PD's. You have to worry bout belt slippage like a PD. You get power delivery similar to turbos. Like a PD there is more parasitic loss than you get from turbo's.
However you get some of the pro's of both as well. Cooler charge temp like turbo's. Reliable power delivery of a PD(as long as there is no belt slippage). Less wear on components like turbo systems. (Who needs 700 ft/lbs hammering components while putzing around in a parking lot?)

While each is capable of performing well, for what you want to do, at the power level that you are aiming for I would go with PD, with runner up being TT.

Call livernois, lingenfelter, calloway or most any nationally recognized builder/tuner and I almost all will recommend a PD system for what you want. I know because a year ago I was going through a similar process in deciding what direction I want to take with my build so I don't end up redoing things unnecessarily.
davisonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #75
Scuzz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Pretty sure I know of a ctsv that has with a pd blower. But I just don't think a lot of pd blowers go to the mile, not that they can't do it
Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #76
davisonss

Quote:
1/4 mile drag racing is more about car setup, wonky suspensions, and 55gal drums of VHT. If we are talking power adder vs. power adder and not these tires vs. these tires, we should look to other forms of racing like the texas mile. No PD camaro5 has ever run over 200mph in a standing mile without nitrous. Bunch of TT and Centri cars have. Where's the PD power?
If we were talking about the texas mile and 200 mph passes I totally agree. But the OP made no mention of wanting to compete in such events. My expressed opinion is based solely on what OP stated he wanted. Should OP have said hey I want a 1000 hp car, or I wanna compete in the texas mile my recommendation would be different.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #77
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Lingenfelter, Callaway, and Livernois will recommend PD blowers because that's what they deal with most and sell. Doesn't really say anything for objectivity. Besides that if you want real performance Livernois is the only out of that group I would deal with but they wouldn't be allowed to put a furnace on my car.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #78
davisonss

Quote:
You should overlay a dyno sheet from a PD blower bolted to a 100% stock LS3 car and see who's got more power under the curve. Who's got more torque at redline (TT carries 125lbft more at redline). It's real easy to have a flatter line on the dyno chart when it's so low. But flatter doesn't win races. Higher numbers do.
Also the OP never mentioned having or keeping it "otherwise stock". The OP wanted a car that would be successful in a rather wide set of conditions similar to that found on road ways at a specific power level. Presumably for longevity of drivetrain components. The OP already stated having a blower cam so why in the world would I compare stock vs stock overlays. With what the OP already has, all 3 systems can pretty easily make his power requirements so it's simply a question of what form of power delivery will be most successful for him in the activities he wishes to pursue.

You guys make a fantastic kit. Never heard anything bad about you. But that doesn't mean I think turbo's are a one size fit all power adder. It would sound equally silly for someone to proclaim that a nightfury cam is the best cam there is regardless of your goals. Is it a great product? Sure. Is it the best for every individual? Nope.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #79
davisonss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Lingenfelter, Callaway, and Livernois will recommend PD blowers because that's what they deal with most and sell. Doesn't really say anything for objectivity. Besides that if you want real performance Livernois is the only out of that group I would deal with but they wouldn't be allowed to put a furnace on my car.
I know for a fact that both Lingenfelter and Livernois do turbo kits. You're going to question their objectivity in the matter but not the turbo kit vendor? Really?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #80
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:

Actual street racing where you can't VHT down the track and do a smokey burnout on your 15" slicks, TT kills PD every time. Been there, done that with PD cars that claim to dyno 100whp more than our TT set-ups.
Hows 199.2(Dam close) in the mile with no nitrous and my first pass ever at the mile in this combo and car......Heartbeat by Magnasun

Look at these torque numbers below 4000 rpm

But we still like our Turbo's
Attached Images

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 05-13-2015 at 08:01 PM.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #81
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Quote:

You made my point for me. You guys make it sound like you slap a turbo on and your done. Want to go faster well then just turn up the boost....nope..a properly setup car is required for any forced induction

So what if I make 750 with a turbo on stock car... What's it going to do in the 1/4 without additional mods...not too good from what I seen..

Turbos have there place. If you want to be a highway king or all out drag build. For the average guy why does he need a turbo ? Its definitely not setting the 5th gen world on fire
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #82
davisonss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Hows 199.2(Dam close) in the mile with no nitrous and my first pass ever at the mile in this combo and car......Heartbeat by Magnasun

Look at these torque numbers below 4000 rpm

But we still like our Turbo's
That torque curve is amazing. Its like wherever your are, whatever the situation... You step on the gas and you going to take off like a rocket.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #83
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisonss View Post
That torque curve is amazing. Its like wherever your are, whatever the situation... You step on the gas and you going to take off like a rocket.
Yep ,Only a handful of people got to ride in this car and all they could say was - WOW!

2 are on this forum

I challenge this forum to find such numbers like this in a turbo or centri at 3000rpm

BTW - Yes I have Turbo Graphs that make BIG POWER AND TORQUE but not like this Heartbeat
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #84
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This is a great thread. We have the turbo guys in here trying their best to slam down PD's like they usually do. While the PD guys are remaining objective and praising all systems. Why is it that the turbo guys feel the need to put down other systems? Why can't they admit that PD's and others have their strong suits as well? It's a recurring theme around here.

To the OP:
Go back and read what I wrote in post #2. All systems have their pluses, minuses, and trade offs. And that includes turbos too. You're getting a heavy dose of the fanboys around here trying their best to skew things in favor of their favorite system. But truth is, you probably can make all of them work for a roll on race like you want.

And even though I personally am a PD guy...and I hate the way the turbo fanboys act sometimes....I still think that you can't ignore the massive torque and HP that twins can give you. Get that thing into boost before the roll on take off and your gone. But don't think that just because you have a TT that there is no PD or Centri out there that can't beat you. All have their place and can be made to run well.

Cool thread...

Last edited by cc-rider; 05-13-2015 at 08:49 PM.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote