Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Keep them coming, I love your videos! You could make a video about how to clean a toilet and I would watch it no problem!
Yeah I don't think I'd ask a Marine to make a toilet cleaning video, if I was standing next to him.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Yeah I don't think I'd ask a Marine to make a toilet cleaning video, if I was standing next to him.
We do like to blow up stuff.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
rich3fan
What's this button do?

I remember in high school a kid threw an M-80 in the toilet then flushed it. The water spout was awesome!

My real deal Clay Magic shipped today so I'll watch your vid then get started over the weekend. Thanks man!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I remember in high school a kid threw an M-80 in the toilet then flushed it. The water spout was awesome!

My real deal Clay Magic shipped today so I'll watch your vid then get started over the weekend. Thanks man!
Get back with me and let me know how it goes.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
rich3fan
What's this button do?

I ordered my Clay Magic kit on Monday, it shipped on Tuesday, and was at my door when I got home from work on Wednesday. to Auto Wax Co. for that. (Helps that they're just on the other side of Dallas from me)

So I did a pre-clay wash with Adam's car wash shampoo, then clayed the entire back end of my SS with the blue bar, washed again then wiped down w/Adam's detail spray. These pics may not tell a very good story because I'm using my Kodak 4MP camera, and I reduced the pic size to 1280x960...

Also, these pics were taken today; claying, washing and spraying was done Friday and a cruise and photo shoot with my club happened yesterday. And no wax applied but another detail spray wipe-down (I know, shame on me).

I don't really feel a difference in the finished product between Mother's clay kit and Clay Magic's, but I feel like I'm using a better overall product because my Clay Magic bar is more sturdy, I guess you could say.

Thing is though, with both the Mother's bar and the CM bar, very little contamination is showing up on them and I'm not at this time sure why that is, other than it's possible the dealer prep guy treated my car with kid gloves. As I mentioned in another thread, when I was using my old clay bar and not bearing down very hard, the finish was still rough so I took Matt's advice and used more pressure this time.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Don't ask me to make a video like Junkman's okay?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Did you do the baggie test before you clayed? If so, how did the paint feel?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Actually no because I was afraid of scratching the clearcoat. Just paranoia I guess, but OTOH at the time I just assumed there would be roughness so I didn't bother. The after was smooth, and again, very little dirt in either bar.

And I'll tell ya something else Junkman, I'm trying every angle and some different light conditions to see if there are any swirls, and I can't find any. Granted, silver metallic does a good job of hiding them, but I can't see any. Another reason why I think maybe the detailer at the dealer where I picked it up went above and beyond the norm.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Actually no because I was afraid of scratching the clearcoat. Just paranoia I guess, but OTOH at the time I just assumed there would be roughness so I didn't bother. The after was smooth, and again, very little dirt in either bar.

And I'll tell ya something else Junkman, I'm trying every angle and some different light conditions to see if there are any swirls, and I can't find any. Granted, silver metallic does a good job of hiding them, but I can't see any. Another reason why I think maybe the detailer at the dealer where I picked it up went above and beyond the norm.

If you want either PM me or start a new thread on silver paint, and I'll help you out, I don't want to hijack someone's thread.

So
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:

You will never know if you NEED to clay your car, have removed all of the impurities from the paint by claying the car, nor will you know the success of your claying unless you do the baggie test. It is your gauge. Not using the baggie test to determine the need or results of claying is like trying to guess how much gas is in your car by listening to the engine running. That would be next to impossible until the car quit running.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Here's a shot of my '98 Formula after it's dawn bath, Clay Magic clay, Zaino car wash, Zaino polish that I did back in... 1998...

Didn't really care whether my SS needed claying or not, it was going to be done regardless because of the results I got back then on the Formula. That was the first and only time I bothered with the before & after "baggie" test which was actually a little plastic glove that comes with the Clay kit. I got 2nd place at a Pop's Malt Shop car show, and 1st place at a car club event, so that experience with Clay Magic was all I needed.

You wanted me to let you know how it went with the Clay Magic bar from Auto Wax Co. so that's what I did. Disregard the irrelevant side notes.

Edit: Yes, for the 1st time clayer, do the "baggie" test !

Last edited by rich3fan; 06-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

The main thing that I want to stress to folks who know nothing about claying is that there is no major visual difference in the appearance DIRECTLY afterward unless you have some really nasty stuff on your paint that claying has removed and that you could actually see. The main thing that you may notice directly after claying is the marring that can be left behind, depending on how hard you clay and how soft your clear coat is. You actually can appreciate what claying does AFTER you have finished the entire routine, including polishing and waxing. Personally, I have never clayed a car without polishing immediately afterward.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Bump, super useful information here. Anyone got any recommendations for Clay?
What does everyone use here? Autozone sells it in a kit with detail spray... but that's like an extra $10 I don't need to spend.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Hell yeah thanks Junkman!!
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote