Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
What wires to use for MSD GMR Pickup?

I have Msd 8918 gmr pickup for a tach signal on my gauge and progressive controller. I've been trying the pink #1 cylinder coil pack wire with no luck. I've also tried purple as well.

Can anyone walk me through setting this thing up on our cars? I have ground and my switched 12v setup, I just need to know how to successfully get a tach signal

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
macSS

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro LS3
I used the pink wire...drivers side of motor but not by the actual coil...connect it at the coil harness connection...the side coming from the coils if I can remember correctly...also try not to separate the wires from one another too far in the harness...just clip it over the pink wire. Ran my wire to 12v in the inside fuse box...grounded under the middle console. Check your tach or device to make sure its set to the proper cylinder operation....Its cold as hell here but Ill try to snap a pic of mine today for you.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body_Custom Black Anodized Fuel Rails_3:91 Rear
ARP Stainless Bolts_MSD Wires_Elite Engineering Catch Can_MGW Flat Stick_Stewart Warner Pro Gauges_BMR Rear Suspension_ZL1 Rear Swaybar
427 HP To The Wheels_Tuned and Dyno'd by ECS

macSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macSS View Post
I used the pink wire...drivers side of motor but not by the actual coil...connect it at the coil harness connection...the side coming from the coils if I can remember correctly...also try not to separate the wires from one another too far in the harness...just clip it over the pink wire. Ran my wire to 12v in the inside fuse box...grounded under the middle console. Check your tach or device to make sure its set to the proper cylinder operation....Its cold as hell here but Ill try to snap a pic of mine today for you.
Thanks a lot man! I'm going to try that out today and I'll report back with what happens. Yeah it's freezing here too,so much for that early Spring.

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macSS View Post
Okay so I just got a good rpm signal on my 2 devices. The only problem is at higher rpm's it seems like the signal goes crazy and the rpm's are way off. I'd say like above 4k or so. Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
macSS

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro LS3
How off are the rpm's ? I would have to think its in the PPR (pulses per revolution) selection of the device. Things used to be that you just set your tach to how ever many cylinders you have and you're good. But with all the new ECM's and stuff its different. I think I set mine on 1. I also recall having the same issue with my shift light. It would work on a few settings but still wasn't correct even though it was reading the rpm signal....I just kept messing with cylinder selections until everything matched up. Even now my digital tach will read higher than the dash tach by about a few hundred rpm's. I think that's because the factory tach is driven on a canbus system and there's a delay or something going on and the MSD pickup is connected right at the source of spark and signal. I trust my digital tach over the factory tach now. Hope this helps.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body_Custom Black Anodized Fuel Rails_3:91 Rear
ARP Stainless Bolts_MSD Wires_Elite Engineering Catch Can_MGW Flat Stick_Stewart Warner Pro Gauges_BMR Rear Suspension_ZL1 Rear Swaybar
427 HP To The Wheels_Tuned and Dyno'd by ECS

macSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
booneSS13

Okay I called MSD and they told me that I need to use the #8913 tach driver. So I just hooked it up today and tried every wire on the #1 coil and got nothing!

I even tried the pink wire on the harness and still did not get anything. Am I the ONLY one with this issue? Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Just got this off of Amazon..https://www.amazon.com/MSD-8963-Digi.../dp/B000JKIOAY, came with the pickup but have not installed yet. Too busy rerouting the heater hoses and doing the injector flip plus put prothane inserts in the rear sub frame mounts...whew!

Hope to get to this project in the next couple of days so will have a better idea then but good luck....peace out
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Just got this off of Amazon..https://www.amazon.com/MSD-8963-Digi.../dp/B000JKIOAY, came with the pickup but have not installed yet. Too busy rerouting the heater hoses and doing the injector flip plus put prothane inserts in the rear sub frame mounts...whew!

Hope to get to this project in the next couple of days so will have a better idea then but good luck....peace out
Thanks a lot man. I actually got the 8913 to work. I had it wired incorrectly, I was assuming that it was supposed to be wired just like the gmr pickup which is incorrect.

The 8913 works great! I don't know if the GMR pickup just doesn't work on our cars or what. I know for a fact I had that one wired right. It would work until around 4k rpm and then the signal would "scramble". I had 2 of them too since I sent one back. That's when I called MSD and they told me to use this one.

Maybe it will work for yours Idk if others here have got it to work right or not. If not here's the link to the one I have now:
http://m.autozone.com/ignition/tacho...ver/438279_0_0

If you have your local autozone get it they'll have it in next day and you don't have to pay shipping plus you get a 90 day warranty I believe.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
I have the GMR with an MSD shift light. It works great. One time I removed it for a while and when I put it back on it went screwey above 4K rpm. I sanded on the wire "clamp" for a better connection and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-bayou View Post
I have the GMR with an MSD shift light. It works great. One time I removed it for a while and when I put it back on it went screwey above 4K rpm. I sanded on the wire "clamp" for a better connection and haven't had a problem since.
That's weird, maybe some of them need to be sanded right out of the box then. I was pretty sure others have gotten them to work, I wonder if that would've fixed the problem.

Mine is used to give a signal to a Innovate gauge/shift light and Nos mini btw. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
Okay so I just got a good rpm signal on my 2 devices. The only problem is at higher rpm's it seems like the signal goes crazy and the rpm's are way off. I'd say like above 4k or so. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue with my 8918. Should I buy the 8913???
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #12
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 8918. Should I buy the 8913???
Yes you need the 8913. I couldn't get the 8918 to work no matter what I tried. The 8913 worked easily with no problems

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
Yes you need the 8913. I couldn't get the 8918 to work no matter what I tried. The 8913 worked easily with no problems

Thanks, does it clip over the coil wire or splice in?
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Thanks, does it clip over the coil wire or splice in?
You have to splice it in. I soldered mine in. I'll take a picture when I get home