Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
It amazes me the stupid crap they put on cars that people have to pay or tweak or do some work around to get rid of. I can see possibly putting this nonsense on a non-enthusiast type car but a Camaro? Anyone that buys a stick shift Camaro doesn't need or want this idiotic crap! COME ON!
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Don't let hill assist be a reason not to get what you want. If you are used to driving a stick, it is true you would not need it, but if you have any ability at all, it is very easy to work around (and I am not saying disable it, just deal with it). Now, I do live in flat coastal GA, so when I lived in north GA (mountains) it may have been more of a pain in the butt (so where yo live will depend on how often you encounter it, as well as how you drive). Get the manual, if it bothers you (which I doubt it will) change the yaw sensor, and if not, drive your car. It, like skip shift, is just no where near the big deal that people make of it (had skip shift on my WS6 since 2001.....simply a non-issue).
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
StealthZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersades View Post
Hello Camaro comrades,

I miss driving manual and am planning on either trading for a used model or custom ordering a new one in late spring. I know there has been some unhappiness with the 2013's hill assist. Can any of the 2014 manual owner chime in on how their experience has been? I searched the forums/Google and haven't found any commentary thus far.

Appreciated!
I got used to it rather quickly. It's truly a non-issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
StealthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersades View Post
Hello Camaro comrades,

I miss driving manual and am planning on either trading for a used model or custom ordering a new one in late spring. I know there has been some unhappiness with the 2013's hill assist. Can any of the 2014 manual owner chime in on how their experience has been? I searched the forums/Google and haven't found any commentary thus far.

Appreciated!
Probably the best plan of attack here would be to drive a manual-tranny version of any Camaro just to see how often it kicks in and how obtrusively. Might even be best to drive an LS or LT, where the lower engine torque would be more easily overwhelmed by slow-to-disengage brakes.

Then decide whether it's likely to be sufficiently bothersome to justify swapping in the AT sensor module.

It appears to bother some people more than others, and I suspect that those who can get their car rolling using little or no throttle until the clutch has grabbed are going to be the most affected. If that describes the way you naturally tend to drive a MT car, you'll probably want to do the mod.

gajagfan - at best, being arbitrarily forced to revise a valid driving technique that comes natural to you simply because somebody else is afraid that maybe you can't pull it off - this without knowing that you even exist - is busybody-ness carried to the extreme.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
I tried that on my '13 and it only clears it from the DIC, doesn't actually do anything
Same on my '14 no workie
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
As someone who owns a manual Camaro without this feature, what about it has people so violently against it?

Seems like it could only help.

That said, I do know how to drive a manual on a hill without it but I'm just wondering why all the hate.

Again, like I said, I've never driven a Camaro (or any car, actually) with hill assist.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Apparently it can take up to two full seconds to let go of the brakes, and there is no way to default it to "off" like there is with at least some Ford and Dodge cars.

When it gets in the way, you are a lot more likely to stall. Unless you overpower it with a lot more throttle than is necessary to just get the car moving, and unexpected wheelspin is an occasional result.

I agree that there can be times and situations where it could be of value. Ideally you'd get an off/on switch that you could set "on the fly" as circumstances warrant, similar to the simplest off/on traction control system switching. See later post.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-12-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
As someone who owns a manual Camaro without this feature, what about it has people so violently against it?

Seems like it could only help.

That said, I do know how to drive a manual on a hill without it but I'm just wondering why all the hate.

Again, like I said, I've never driven a Camaro (or any car, actually) with hill assist.
I agree with you. In certain steep hills I welcome it. The issue is its implementation. The system is glitchy. It does not always disengage the brakes, and like Norm said, you could stall.

Like I said, I got used to it. You just need to add more gas.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Hit the reset button on the end of turn signal lever when it engages and displays on the DIC, it will turn off hill assist for that moment and you can go about your day.
Doesn't work on my '13. But I like the HSA. Just have to take off like you would from flat ground. I absolutely HATED it at first, stalled my car plenty of times (messed with my equilibrium at first), and I've never owned an automatic. But, once I figured out how to use it properly, I like it. It will probably save some wear and tear on the clutch over the years.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Apparently it can take up to two full seconds to let go of the brakes

Norm
I've never had that happen to me
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I agree that there might be times and situations where it could be of value, and whether or how often this occurs probably depends on the individual driver.

Ideally you'd get an off/on switch that you could set "on the fly" as circumstances warrant, similar to the simplest off/on traction control system switching.

Guess I had a senior moment yesterday. The 2010 Subaru Legacy (look under my avatar) does exactly this. I have never used it except for once or twice purely out of curiosity.
Fixed.

Norm
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #26
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
If the hill asisst is active push the clutch in and it will release the break. you may have to push it in twice but it does release.
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
Deebo
2SS/1LE GAZ 1 of 221

Drives: 2013 1LE
Oh, how I hate the Hill Start Assist! I'm getting better at it, but it's caused me to slip my clutch a couple of times. Prior to that...
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I think that I saw a post in another section about a member who once he saw the hill assist icon on the DIC he hit the DIC information button , the icon went away and he didn't have to deal with the hill assist..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote