Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
GXP25

Drives: A
Group Buy: Morimoto XB LED Fog Light Housings

EDIT: For clarification: I am not trying to sell these or make any money. Nor am I affiliated with The Retrofit Source. If there is a sponsor on this board that is able to work on a group buy price then feel free chime in.

Since these replacement fogs are the same for the G8, I was looking for some people to get into a group buy. I'm looking at the $150-$160 range if we can get The Retrofit Source to agree. They're currently at $200.

Here are the LED fog light housings that are a direct replacement: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.Vztc3vkrJYI

EDIT #2: Interest:

UPDATE: I found another vendor who is willing to sell these for $155 shipped with a minimum of 10 people. We're currently at 13 so as far as I'm concerned we're good to go. The slight caveat is that everyone would need to make sure their orders are in and paid for before we could get them at said price.

So far, as of 05/27/2016, the interest is as follows here at Camaro5:
  • CamALot
  • Eddiefuzz - maybe?
  • foo.fighter
  • Arogg
  • Kleen
At G8Board:
  • orkrule1
  • s/c'd cav
  • 6 litre
  • GXP25
  • MGMGXP
  • di11avou
  • JessMan (for G8)
  • CamaroSS27
  • Boosted97
  • GT_KEN
  • Fiesty
At GM-Trucks:
  • BIGDOGx
  • Johnny13 (square housings)
  • thetruck454 (square housings)
  • kkmitchell5
  • Jessman (for '15 Sierra)
  • schultzy375
  • chriscote781
  • moody1221
  • CptMcSaug (square housings)

That's 25 people total. New minimum goal of 10 reached.

This is happening very soon. The vendor is aware of this and just needs me to provide information about how many lights and which type. After this post I will provide the vendor with the total list so far.

Square housings for trucks for reference. Still waiting to hear back from the vendor if they can be included in the group buy.

Last edited by GXP25; 05-27-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Clarification.
GXP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
CamALot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SSRS Black on Black
I would be interested!
CamALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Do these work with my car? I have HID and daytime running lights. The cars with the regular lights have fog lights. Would these be a replacement for my daytime running lights?
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
I bought these and they look great...not very adjustable without some modification and engineering, but very nice. I'll try to get some pics up...
Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
GXP25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Do these work with my car? I have HID and daytime running lights. The cars with the regular lights have fog lights. Would these be a replacement for my daytime running lights?
As long as you have the stock fog lights, you will be able to replace them with these.

To be clear, these are [LED] fog lights and have no bearing on your HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8daneh View Post
I bought these and they look great...not very adjustable without some modification and engineering, but very nice. I'll try to get some pics up...
Care to clarify? These should be plug and play. I've read of some slight modification on G8s by the factory black plastic but nothing major.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
GXP25

Anyone else interested? Also, these do come with a 10-year warranty (!), which is rather impressive for aftermarket lights.

So far, the interest is as follows here at Camaro5:
  • CamALot
And over at G8Board:
  • orkrule1
  • s/c'd cav
  • 6 litre
  • GXP25
I can and will update the list as interest increases.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM M6
im interested but have some questions.. mainly what gr8daneh said.. What kind of modification was needed? and how is the light output? ive got HID currently installed in my fogs and that wasn't the greatest idea..
This looks pretty straight forward but since gr8daneh them installed id love to hear the feedback before committing to anything.
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
GXP25

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo.fighter View Post
im interested but have some questions.. mainly what gr8daneh said.. What kind of modification was needed? and how is the light output? ive got HID currently installed in my fogs and that wasn't the greatest idea..
This looks pretty straight forward but since gr8daneh them installed id love to hear the feedback before committing to anything.
I agree and this was a concern of mine with respect to the G8. Someone with a G8 had to shave a little bit of the black plastic in the bumper area on a G8. Nothing serious and nothing noticeable. I don't have a Camaro nor do I have these lights so we'll have to wait on gr8daneh.

As far as light output, I believe the pictures speak for themselves.

Here's what The Retrofit Source has to say about them:

Quote:
Powered: by Nichia 5500K LED's from Japan that produce around 1200 raw lumens per side. The all-new projector based optics inside concentrate a total of 2400 lumens of pure white light into a beam that's super wide and perfectly distributed for use as a fog light. They are SAE, DOT, and ECE approved.
For reference:
  • 35W HIDs will produce ~3,000-3,600 lumens (Lumens = Measure of Light Output (Brightness)) per bulb. This is more than 2x the light output than a factory 55W halogen bulb.

• The factory 5202 fog light bulbs produce 500 lumens per bulb. That's 1,000 lumens total.
So these LED bulbs at 1,200 lumens per side (2,400 lumens total) are quite nice and won't melt housings like HIDs in factory fog housings will. Not to mention the fact they have a lens with a proper cutoff versus having HIDs inside of a reflective housing designed for halogen bulbs.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
definitely interested...

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
GXP25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
definitely interested...
I'll add you to my list.

Also, just an FYI, these are for MY2010-2013 only. The 2014 redesign feature different fog light assemblies.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Do these work with the DRLs and "always on" harness?
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
I agree and this was a concern of mine with respect to the G8. Someone with a G8 had to shave a little bit of the black plastic in the bumper area on a G8. Nothing serious and nothing noticeable. I don't have a Camaro nor do I have these lights so we'll have to wait on gr8daneh.

As far as light output, I believe the pictures speak for themselves.

Here's what The Retrofit Source has to say about them:

For reference:
  • 35W HIDs will produce ~3,000-3,600 lumens (Lumens = Measure of Light Output (Brightness)) per bulb. This is more than 2x the light output than a factory 55W halogen bulb.

• The factory 5202 fog light bulbs produce 500 lumens per bulb. That's 1,000 lumens total.
So these LED bulbs at 1,200 lumens per side (2,400 lumens total) are quite nice and won't melt housings like HIDs in factory fog housings will. Not to mention the fact they have a lens with a proper cutoff versus having HIDs inside of a reflective housing designed for halogen bulbs.

Okay, so they are a direct fit, so no messing with that, but I had to get elongated bolts to fit the insert location for the factory adjuster (if there were one on the Camaro, which there is not) and a couple of nuts. The two nuts created the ability to move the light bottom up or down. The lights need to be pulled in (from the bottom) so they don't blind other drivers. It is a slight adjustment and may not be necessary for all, but I noticed they are aimed a little high without that ability to pull them in from the bottom a bit. One nut on the inside of the insert, the other on the outside allowing you to adjust the angle. The lighting is superb. The housings are top notch engineering and the cutoff it just perfect. They are really a nice add and have a great look. GO FOR IT!!! And again, the promise of pictures tonight....

-Dane
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
I'll add you to my list.

Also, just an FYI, these are for MY2010-2013 only. The 2014 redesign feature different fog light assemblies.
yep....only the round "parts bin" GM lights will work. Works on the new Colorado's too, even though I went with LED bulbs on the truck.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #14
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Do these work with the DRLs and "always on" harness?
Yes