Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Anyone got water in the battery well in the trunk? Have you even checked?

About a month ago, after hurricane Irma, I happened to check the battery and noticed about a 1/4" of water in the battery well. I also noticed that the trunk padding was wet almost directly under the speaker. I cleaned up the water and decided to check it later.

I pulled everything out of the trunk today and found some more water and the mat was a little damp. Not much but enough to be concerned. When I felt up under the speaker deck, everything seemed dry. Anyone else run across this?

One other thing I noticed is that the molding on the roof top is about 3/16" short at the rear of the roof. Could that be where a leak might be?
Attached Images

Last edited by OlePhu; 11-19-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: More info
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
you got a sun roof?
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Just brainstorming. The part you mentioned that's short. Could you post a pic so we can look at our car, I can't envision it.
Sunroof or seal around the trunk. Especially if you went and did a high pressure car wash. You might have forgotten you went there until you see the water a week later. They can force water around a weak rubber seal.
There is a vent tube for the battery, and also I think there is a rubber flap covering a vent in the lower fender area going to the trunk but I'm not positive about that. It could have let in water splashing through a deep puddle.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
OlePhu
Oldskool

I'll take a picture of the molding tomorrow.
No sunroof.
No high pressure car wash; I only use a garden hose
I was thinking of the trunk seal as well but the wet part of the padding is under a rubber trunk mat well forward of the trunk and no water visible on the rubber mat.
I was thinking of the vent tube and solid rubber grommet as well but that wouldn't explain moisture above the battery well.
I toyed with the idea that the battery was leaking but it's not battery acid.
I'm taking it by the dealership tomorrow ... curious what they say.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Just don't let them repair anything until you see for sure they & you know the actual cause.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
If it's never happened before, I would just clean it out and let it dry with the trunk open. It sat through a bad storm, forcing water into places it normally never goes and may never happen again.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
If it's never happened before, I would just clean it out and let it dry with the trunk open. It sat through a bad storm, forcing water into places it normally never goes and may never happen again.
Great advice, you might pull your hair out looking for a one off situation.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Get someone who can fit in the trunk and close the lid. Then, get a hose and start drenching the back half of the car to determine where the water is coming in. Easy peasy!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #9
Gordo-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Get someone who can fit in the trunk and close the lid. Then, get a hose and start drenching the back half of the car to determine where the water is coming in. Easy peasy!

I used to use the local car wash for that, used to get some funny looks doing it.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I have an 18 yr old grand kid I'd like to put in the trunk ... but then I'd be tempted to leave her there lol
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
OlePhu
Oldskool

OK, so I went to the dealership and they put paper down in the trunk and ran water all over the windows, on-star antennae, down the crack of the trunk lid for a couple of hours and no water inside. I paid them their diagnostic fee and drove home hoping for the best but when I got home, I had water in the battery well...not much but it was still there. We noticed that the grommets for the sunroof drain were loose so I put silicon on them just in case even though I don't have a sun roof.

This morning I made sure the well was dry, laid out a bunch of paper towels and sprayed from the window back and looked in the trunk and no water. Ran up to the store and when I got back, I had some water in the well plus on the paper towels but nothing from the speaker deck back felt wet.

Now I'm really baffled so I removed the back piece of plastic that the luggage net attaches to and both fabric side panels and noticed some water sitting under fuse panel and air release vent. I dried it up, laid down the paper towels again, closed the trunk and hit the windows and trunk again. No water on the towels so I drove it around the block and when I got back, there was a little water in the well. I also noticed a little water under the side marker.

Cleaned everything up but this time I was careful to only hit the side marker and fuel door. When I checked the inside, it was wet again under the vent and I could see some droplets on the vent but nothing in the well ... until I drove around the block and then I had water but still nothing on the paper towels.

So, the only thing I can think of right now is that when we had the driving rain from the hurricane or when i hit the car with a jet of water, somehow it's getting through the fuel door/housing and pooling under the vent and then when I make a right hand turn, the water flows under the floor mat over to and into the well. Sounds like another trip back to the dealership. Oh yeah, he said leaks weren't covered under CPO ... we'll see.
Attached Images

Last edited by OlePhu; 10-14-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: corrected term to air release vent
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
What you show in the picture is a vent.
The vent should only open when there is positive pressure in the trunk.
Perhaps it has some dirt preventing it from closing completely. It does appear to have water marks on it.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
What you show in the picture is a vent.
The vent should only open when there is positive pressure in the trunk.
Perhaps it has some dirt preventing it from closing completely. It does appear to have water marks on it.
Thanks for the correction. I just found that on utube and was about to make the correction but you beat me to it. . I did check the flaps and they seem to be working freely and I didn't see any dirt but I'll blow them out anyway. Regardless, the water is coming from someplace. I may try to remove it; it looks like it just pops out. Maybe it's not sealing well enough. I've only got 14000 miles on the car but who knows.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Gordo-D

It doesn't need to seal, its to get rid of cabin pressure.