Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I would NOT use 3M DiNoc on the exterior surface of your car. It is not recommended by 3M. We use Superior quality 3M 1080 wrap series for automobile applications.

Here's a few pics of the CF we sell at Night Shades.
Attached Images

SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
I would NOT use 3M DiNoc on the exterior surface of your car. It is not recommended by 3M. We use Superior quality 3M 1080 wrap series for automobile applications.

Here's a few pics of the CF we sell at Night Shades.
Ive heard only from 2 people on here not to use 3M DiNoc but nothing on the internet or even the local custom shops say not to use. They all say its fine for exterior use. A large shop that has cars at SEMA here in town has DiNoc all over their show car and its perfectly fine. Its easy to use, durable and fine to use.

Heres some good info..its less expensive but just as good OP:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/faq/

http://calicarguys.com/3m-di-noc
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Night Shades

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Ive heard only from 2 people on here not to use 3M DiNoc but nothing on the internet or even the local custom shops say not to use. They all say its fine for exterior use. A large shop that has cars at SEMA here in town has DiNoc all over their show car and its perfectly fine. Its easy to use, durable and fine to use.

Heres some good info..its less expensive but just as good OP:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/faq/

http://calicarguys.com/3m-di-noc
3M will tell you it was designed for Home interiors. Can and do people use it, yes. Is it the correct application for it, no.
That is why 3M developed the 1080 wrap series. If your looking for the best durability then be informed. If your looking for a cheaper alternative there are many out there.
Night Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
SSTG

This is directly off of 3M's site. In Bold.

3M DI-NOC Architectural Finishes are durable,
dimensionally stable, vinyl films that were
specifically developed for interior/exterior
decorations and refurbishment.

The warranty for 3M DI-NOC Architectural
Finishes for interior/exterior decoration as stated
here does not extend to automotive or personal
vehicle applications which have to conform to OEM
automotive specifications.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
This is directly off of 3M's site. In Bold.

3M DI-NOC Architectural Finishes are durable,
dimensionally stable, vinyl films that were
specifically developed for interior/exterior
decorations and refurbishment.

The warranty for 3M DI-NOC Architectural
Finishes for interior/exterior decoration as stated
here does not extend to automotive or personal
vehicle applications which have to conform to OEM
automotive specifications.
Ok so its good enough to use on the outside of your house but not your car? That doesnt make sense nothing says its bad to use on exterior? Major custom shops all over are using this material. I have yet to hear anything bad. Im not trying to argue but I have yet to read anything bad about this or a reason why not to use it. I did a lot of reasearch on this subject before using it and it takes more then one site saying its ok on the outside of homes but not cars without a valid reason. Sounds like they dont want added liability. Im gonna believe the many custom shops using this material.

heres some more info, this blog compares both types of 3M
http://blog.undergroundgraphics.com/...arbon.html?m=1
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
SSTG

Quote:
Ok so its good enough to use on the outside of your house but not your car? That doesnt make sense nothing says its bad to use on exterior? Major custom shops all over are using this material. I have yet to hear anything bad. Im not trying to argue but I have yet to read anything bad about this or a reason why not to use it. I did a lot of reasearch on this subject before using it and it takes more then one site saying its ok on the outside of homes but not cars without a valid reason. Sounds like they dont want added liability. Im gonna believe the many custom shops using this material.

heres some more info, this blog compares both types of 3M
http://blog.undergroundgraphics.com/...arbon.html?m=1

Certainly, I'm not arguing either. Just want to state the facts. Just so we are clear, those statements are off of 3M's website. Not just any website.

We are a Major, cutting edge Vinyl & Tint Shop also with many designs to our name. But sadly most shops are ill informed. Most shops don't even know of the newest products that are available to them. We know, we have many shops call us on our kits and ask what we use. We pride ourselves on carrying the best vinyl and the correct Vinyl for the job.

Shops have used DI-NOC for years. It will work for on most projects including Cars BUT it is not the correct Vinyl for Automobiles. There is a correct Vinyl for that and it is 3M's 1080 Wrap series. That is all I am trying to say. I'm glad you are happy with yours and I hope it lasts for MANY years.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
Definitely appreciate all the info, from both sides. SSTG, I understand where you are coming from basing your statements off of what is actual product recommendations. It's hard to argue with simple fact. At the same time, if there are Ops out there like Angie who are using it with no issues, and it continues to hold up and look great, I am comfortable taking their advice as well. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what kind of vinyl my buddy uses...just know it's 3M, so I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. If he has DI NOC, and he's willing to do it for free...can't complain, even if it doesn't hold up. I just appreciate the hook up. Again, thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate all the pics too. SSTG, I like the first pic you posted. Looks great. I was really hoping someone would have pics of cf hood spears, but I guess they aren't too common. Angie, I'm looking forward to seeing your car with the new stripes.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
you may want to check this out; http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/...oating-di-noc/
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
I have carbon fiber vinyl hash stripes on my black SS. I went with the Hexis vinyl from Headlight Armor.
Looks great, nice idea!

Quote:
3M Di-Noc should not be used on an automotive application. A lot of places will sell it to you, but it is the wrong material for automotive applications. 3M was slow to respond to other companies wrap specific materials (like our Hexis wrap) but have recently brought out a 1080 wrap which is good, though we do not feel it is the best material out there.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
diamondmike

Drives: 2SS/RS
here's the race car and street car.
Attached Images

7.83 @ 172 and 1.15 60ft 5th gen
4.93@143
diamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote