Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #57
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
If he managed to massage a stock 4th gen SS motor from 320 hp to 380 hp with only intake, exhaust and ECM reprogram than does that mean 422 hp to 480 hp with same mods on 5th gen is possible?

If the 5th gen SS had 480 hp that would put is at 8 lbs per hp which is GT500 territory.
1_2Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #58
Tom Henry Racing

Drives: 98 Brickyard,The latest THR build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
If he managed to massage a stock 4th gen SS motor from 320 hp to 380 hp with only intake, exhaust and ECM reprogram than does that mean 422 hp to 480 hp with same mods on 5th gen is possible?

If the 5th gen SS had 480 hp that would put is at 8 lbs per hp which is GT500 territory.
We'll know once we get on the dyno and get into the computer.
Tom Henry Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #59
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Weasel View Post
We'll know once we get on the dyno and get into the computer.

Oh me gosh...

480 sounds great...BUT I WANT 500hp+!!!

Just thinking about this gets me all excited....

shhhhhh.....

Be very, very quiet....I'm hunting GT500's....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #60
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
seriously cam + tune = 500+ hp.....the l92 heads on the ls3 are the ones people want gmpp wise so you cant get much better without a port and polish. aswell as the intake on the ls3 being excellent.

Weasel, how do you feel about putting a lsx 454 in mine =)
Old 10-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #61
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Remember that GM always under estimates thier motors. You probably will not have to do much to see 500hp.......
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #62
Tom Henry Racing

I need to do a little legal legwork before I say we are going to put crate motors in.........
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #63
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
I need to do a little legal legwork before I say we are going to put crate motors in.........

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #64
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
As in if I wanted saaaaaay an LS9, you might be able to do the install? What would the warranty outcome of that swap be?

Can you enlighten me...

I know this is way out in left field. But lets say I just wanted to lower the CR a bit for an Eaton2300. Would the LS9 or LSA internals be a better way to go???

Any input would be great. If you don't have the answers now I completely understand.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #65
headpunter

Quote:
ill be waiting
Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #66
Tom Henry Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
As in if I wanted saaaaaay an LS9, you might be able to do the install? What would the warranty outcome of that swap be?

Can you enlighten me...

I know this is way out in left field. But lets say I just wanted to lower the CR a bit for an Eaton2300. Would the LS9 or LSA internals be a better way to go???

Any input would be great. If you don't have the answers now I completely understand.
As it stands now when we open the engine up and alter it that would void the warranty, the same goes for installing a crate motor. That is one of the issues i am checking into. I can't answer the internals question.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #67
headpunter

you would want the ls9 internals, they are stronger forged parts. If having the titanium rods is importnant to you that would be the way to go, you could save your seld a ton of money though and get a set of eagle forged crank/pisions/rods that was balanced for less then the price of 4 of the LS9/ls7 Forged titanium rods....so considering how much more the rest of the rotating assembly would cost from the ls9 i would say eagle is a more cost effective way to go.

if you were using the whole ls9 then i would say the titanium bits are worth it since you can say yeah this IS an ls9, if your making a bastard motor i dont think its worth the money.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #68
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
As it stands now when we open the engine up and alter it that would void the warranty, the same goes for installing a crate motor. That is one of the issues i am checking into. I can't answer the internals question.
I'm very intersted to know what you find out. Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you would want the ls9 internals, they are stronger forged parts. If having the titanium rods is importnant to you that would be the way to go, you could save your seld a ton of money though and get a set of eagle forged crank/pisions/rods that was balanced for less then the price of 4 of the LS9/ls7 Forged titanium rods....so considering how much more the rest of the rotating assembly would cost from the ls9 i would say eagle is a more cost effective way to go.

if you were using the whole ls9 then i would say the titanium bits are worth it since you can say yeah this IS an ls9, if your making a bastard motor i dont think its worth the money.
I do understand that aftermarket will be cheaper. But I'm trying to accomplish two things. Get a blown car under warranty and put everything into my car payment.

I know I'm asking for the world but, I got time. Why did they have to go and build that damn CTS-V or the stupid ZR1 anyway.

Why?

The camaro is just beggin' for one of these motors.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #69
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

I know I'm asking for the world but, I got time.
See....I would love to toss on a supercharger as well. But, I won't have that kind of money. I'd much rather look into a cam swap w/ tune. But, like you, I'd want the work to be under warranty. Not a one year type of deal either....I'd want the regular manufacturers warranty. I know it's a lot to ask....but imagine putting out a 500hp 5th Gen!!!

Like you...I want to have my cake and eat it too!

Please!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #70
headpunter

Quote:

I do understand that aftermarket will be cheaper. But I'm trying to accomplish two things. Get a blown car under warranty and put everything into my car payment.

I know I'm asking for the world but, I got time. Why did they have to go and build that damn CTS-V or the stupid ZR1 anyway.

Why?

The camaro is just beggin' for one of these motors.

the one thing to think about is the engine itself would still have the 24 months/50,000 miles warranty. so the only things not covered would be rearend and transmission. which cost substantially less to repair then the motor will if anything was to go wrong.