Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #57
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
This thread is from 2006, bringing it back is just going to confuse people. As it already has because no one pays any attention to dates, or the fact that Pontiac is mentioned in the article.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #58
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
I'm with you on the "M" being all over the place. BMW is worst with its prolific use of M than Chevy with "SS", but that isn't saying much. The problem is that Chevy makes dirt cheap common cars like the Cobalt and Malibu and sticks "SS" on them.

Every time I see a "Cobalt SS" I just shake my head. Maybe they do have something under the hood, but every one of them just look like base models that someone just stuck a badge on. They're just very uninteresting cars.

A "performance oriented" model has to also LOOK and SOUND hot. I'm not against any model having a performance badge so long as it looks the part, which the Malibu/Cobalt etc. do not. Oh yeah, and FWD is also a no-no for a performance badge.
Cobalt SS's are actually bada$$ little cars. Older models=supercharged. Newer models=Turbo'd. You could also get warrantied "Stage" work done on them from GM (close to 275 HP warrantied ponies). They also looked quite different from the standard Cobalt. High spoiler, huge/sporty wheels, boost gauge, different chin spoiler, the interior was done in two-tone stitched leather to match the exterior and the things flat out ran! Drive one some time, it's fun! Stripes, wheels, chrome tips, etc. has NOTHING to do with performance. "SS" means performance, not looks! Anything can look fast.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #59
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
I'm with you on the "M" being all over the place. BMW is worst with its prolific use of M than Chevy with "SS", but that isn't saying much. The problem is that Chevy makes dirt cheap common cars like the Cobalt and Malibu and sticks "SS" on them.

Every time I see a "Cobalt SS" I just shake my head. Maybe they do have something under the hood, but every one of them just look like base models that someone just stuck a badge on. They're just very uninteresting cars.

A "performance oriented" model has to also LOOK and SOUND hot. I'm not against any model having a performance badge so long as it looks the part, which the Malibu/Cobalt etc. do not. Oh yeah, and FWD is also a no-no for a performance badge.
Yea, M/ AMG/ RS badges are allowed on many cars, but none of those are common on the road where SS can be seen everyday.

Or they could make the SS/Z models look more distinguished like the M3 compared to a standard 3
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #60
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Cobalt SS's are actually bada$$ little cars. Older models=supercharged. Newer models=Turbo'd. You could also get warrantied "Stage" work done on them from GM (close to 275 HP warrantied ponies). They also looked quite different from the standard Cobalt. High spoiler, huge/sporty wheels, boost gauge, different chin spoiler, the interior was done in two-tone stitched leather to match the exterior and the things flat out ran! Drive one some time, it's fun! Stripes, wheels, chrome tips, etc. has NOTHING to do with performance. "SS" means performance, not looks! Anything can look fast.
The Cobalt mods look ricer to my eye. The SS Cobalt may look different, but they don't look hot. I don't think anything can be done to a Cobalt to make it look "hot".

Once you reach a certain income level, I think it's impossible to actually want a Cobalt in any form; on the other hand, very wealthy people can still desire a Camaro - and that's the litmus test for allowing an "SS" type badge IMO.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #61
DRKS1D3

Quote:
The Cobalt mods look ricer to my eye. The SS Cobalt may look different, but they don't look hot. I don't think anything can be done to a Cobalt to make it look "hot".

Once you reach a certain income level, I think it's impossible to actually want a Cobalt in any form; on the other hand, very wealthy people can still desire a Camaro - and that's the litmus test for allowing an "SS" type badge IMO.
I would rock this all day long as my DD. It's all in what you like. Bottom line: It has performance, not just some stripes and an exhaust tip like other lame "SS" badged cars.
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #62
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
IMO, the only two cars that should ever have received the SS nameplate are the Camaro and the Chevelle. Thank God they are going to cut their crap out. I was really getting sick of seeing "SS" on Cobalts, Impalas, Malibus, Silverados, etc, etc. Save it for the race cars, damnit! That's just the way I see it. Good call, GM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #63
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
I would rock this all day long as my DD. It's all in what you like. Bottom line: It has performance, not just some stripes and an exhaust tip like other lame "SS" badged cars.
That car may be quick but it looks like it should be badged Si instead of SS
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #64
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
That car may be quick but it looks like it should be badged Si instead of SS
Again...it's all in what you like. If everybody liked the same things, there would be one car brand, one model, one color, one transmission option, etc., etc., etc..

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #65
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Again...it's all in what you like. If everybody liked the same things, there would be one car brand, one model, one color, one transmission option, etc., etc., etc..
Oh sorry I thought I was stating a fact
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #66
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Glad to hear this... I think they should refine the SS badge to its original carriers, like the days of old. Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, etc. 2-doors only. And nothing that doesn't at least carry an optional V8.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #67
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
Too bad the SS name is going to be a "name" on a upcoming car . . not a sub label . . or trim package . .

Dumb to me.

I loved my HHR SS . . deserved the name.
2018 Traverse High Country, 2017 Tom Henry Racing ZL1 Convertible, 2016 Silverado High Country HD, 2014 Camaro SS Convertible, 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1, 2002 Berger SS Phase II, 2001 Camaro SS Convertible, 1997 Hendrick Motorsports 30th Anniversary LT4 SS, 1992 Camaro RS Z03 25th . . .
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #68
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Yeah but they're doing the same as Nissan with the (Skyline) GT-R.

But then, they don't call anything else GT-R so it's different really.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #69
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
from 2006 to now... here's your SS.

Road & Track says (and I quote)
' For all intents and purposes, the Chevrolet SS is a Camaro with an extra set of doors."

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #70
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
from 2006 to now... here's your SS.

Road & Track says (and I quote)
' For all intents and purposes, the Chevrolet SS is a Camaro with an extra set of doors."
WOW thats a

That may be a sweet grocery getter but not what I envision when I hear SS