Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
I'm giving it monster status since it was only a few ticks behing the GT500 with over 200 more HP!
Agreed, and since we are going after Ford here, it beat the Boss 302 Laguna Seca at the Streets of Willow track by 3 seconds, and that car cost $12K more!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
My first 5th gen was an early 2010 V6 2LT (vin 35xx). I drove that car for a couple of years before trading in on a 2011 2SS. That was a big leap in performance. I recently traded that car for a 13 2SS 1LE. While nowhere near that level of change, I wanted to chime in on the differences. I'm not a person to track cars, just a Camaro junkie who has regularly had them as daily drivers over the past ~30 years.

The suspension pieces work very well - the ride is very similar around town to a non-1LE, but you definitely notice the performance upgrade when cornering or driving spiritedly. My 2LT had springs and sways, and that was a rougher ride certainly. Not-so with the 1LE.

The 2011 2SS had a very bad case of the TR6060 rattles when releasing/pressing the clutch at low speeds in first gear - a problem that others have had. It was so bad in my car that folks were startled even 20 feet away at the grocery store or wherever. The new shifter/transmission and the gears are wonderful. No significant rattles, smooth shifts. The feel of the steering wheel and shifter is a noticeable upgrade.

This car is definitely quicker than my 2011. Both were LS3s. As others have said, this is probably due to the sum of the parts, not any one thing in particular other than the 3.91 gears. It pulls harder, feels stronger that my '11.

The rims and tires are very cool - they do have a downside (as all ZL1 and 1LE owners prolly know) - you will hear lots of rocks and road debris hitting your underside as they're sticky.

The 2012/2013 features also should be considered - power passenger seat, electric steering, revised dash, door lock button relocation, etc.

All in all I have no regrets, and believe that the 1LE addresses many of the things I would have wanted to improve on my 2011. These updates are under warranty though and I wouldn't have been able to achieve this level of performance for the $3500 asking price. It's an excellent value and you will feel a positive difference in driving experience.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
My first 5th gen was an early 2010 V6 2LT (vin 35xx). I drove that car for a couple of years before trading in on a 2011 2SS. That was a big leap in performance. I recently traded that car for a 13 2SS 1LE. While nowhere near that level of change, I wanted to chime in on the differences. I'm not a person to track cars, just a Camaro junkie who has regularly had them as daily drivers over the past ~30 years.

The suspension pieces work very well - the ride is very similar around town to a non-1LE, but you definitely notice the performance upgrade when cornering or driving spiritedly. My 2LT had springs and sways, and that was a rougher ride certainly. Not-so with the 1LE.

The 2011 2SS had a very bad case of the TR6060 rattles when releasing/pressing the clutch at low speeds in first gear - a problem that others have had. It was so bad in my car that folks were startled even 20 feet away at the grocery store or wherever. The new shifter/transmission and the gears are wonderful. No significant rattles, smooth shifts. The feel of the steering wheel and shifter is a noticeable upgrade.

This car is definitely quicker than my 2011. Both were LS3s. As others have said, this is probably due to the sum of the parts, not any one thing in particular other than the 3.91 gears. It pulls harder, feels stronger that my '11.

The rims and tires are very cool - they do have a downside (as all ZL1 and 1LE owners prolly know) - you will hear lots of rocks and road debris hitting your underside as they're sticky.

The 2012/2013 features also should be considered - power passenger seat, electric steering, revised dash, door lock button relocation, etc.

All in all I have no regrets, and believe that the 1LE addresses many of the things I would have wanted to improve on my 2011. These updates are under warranty though and I wouldn't have been able to achieve this level of performance for the $3500 asking price. It's an excellent value and you will feel a positive difference in driving experience.
Agree 100% with Dynabyte! My impressions, thoughts, and considerations are very much inline with his.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #32
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
Looks like you need to order a set of rear ZL1 splash guards and install them. Very easy mod that only costs about $60 and they look very subtle and offer nice protection!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Ready for it, I drive a ZL1 as a daily driver, and flat out I wish I could afford to buy a 1LE do drive every day instead and keep my ZL1 in a garage a little more. I'm not sure I'd be happy in a SS at this point, but I could do a 1LE, as a second car of course.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Camss57

Drives: 2008 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
If you don't go to the track then it is probably a waste of money. Most will say it's not a waste of money even if you don't go to the track, but it is...
Have you driven a 1LE? Every person who has and every magazine review says otherwise. What you get for $3500 a real upgrade over a standard SS. I think it was Motor Trend that said the 1LE package take the Camaro from "pig to pony". Sounds like it is worth every penny to me.
Camss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #35
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camss57 View Post
Have you driven a 1LE? Every person who has and every magazine review says otherwise. What you get for $3500 a real upgrade over a standard SS. I think it was Motor Trend that said the 1LE package take the Camaro from "pig to pony". Sounds like it is worth every penny to me.
No I haven't. I haven't even seen a 1LE in my area (cold weather, I think that's why). Although, in my case, I couldn't justify spending that amount of money if I do not go to the track.

As I said, I don't go to the track so I wouldn't be able to enjoy what the package is for. I live in a place where it's usually cold, and a Camaro being my DD, I would have to change the wheels. Also, I'm sure that a normal SS could pull better numbers with the wheels that the 1LE has. So having to remove the wheels would semi defeat the purpose of a track package.

I could turn in an intersection at 30mph or get off a curved freeway ramp at 60 mph to "push" the car and get my money's worth out of the track package, but I really try not to be a reckless driver.

So in my case, I would only choose to get the 1LE for the looks. Since it would only be for the looks, I would just get aftermarket cosmetic stuff and it would be a lot cheaper. Only downside would be getting called a poser here at camaro5.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
The 3.91 rear pumpkin feels awesome in my L99, no upgrade here, to attached to this one.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #37
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
No I haven't. I haven't even seen a 1LE in my area (cold weather, I think that's why). Although, in my case, I couldn't justify spending that amount of money if I do not go to the track.

As I said, I don't go to the track so I wouldn't be able to enjoy what the package is for. I live in a place where it's usually cold, and a Camaro being my DD, I would have to change the wheels. Also, I'm sure that a normal SS could pull better numbers with the wheels that the 1LE has. So having to remove the wheels would semi defeat the purpose of a track package.

I could turn in an intersection at 30mph or get off a curved freeway ramp at 60 mph to "push" the car and get my money's worth out of the track package, but I really try not to be a reckless driver.

So in my case, I would only choose to get the 1LE for the looks. Since it would only be for the looks, I would just get aftermarket cosmetic stuff and it would be a lot cheaper. Only downside would be getting called a poser here at camaro5.
im not sure if i read this wrong but are you sayin a normal ss could pull better numbers than a 1le if it had its wheels i agree with that but the only problem is the wheels cost more than the 3500 dollar package itself so it kinda defeats the purpose of not justifying spending 3500 dollars plus to make a normal ss look like a 1le would be way more than 3500 oem hood is around a grand aftermarket have it wrapped or painted mate black thats more money
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #38
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
the 1le's wheels suck imo, black wheels=garbage
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #39
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
the 1le's wheels suck imo, black wheels=garbage
I'm guessing you don't like the 1LE wheels...

now, can you connect the dots for us where A+B=garbage? Structurally, I believe they're up to the task, are probably round within tolerances, and allows the tires to hold air. So, just how are they garbage?

I don't mind reading other people's opinions even when I don't share the same sentiments, but your opinion stops being an opinion after your comma- it appears trollish. Since we want to do some math, my equation could look like 11fastss=troll. But that's just my opinion.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 View Post
also dont forget the amount of horsepower the 1les are putting to the ground i now they say there rated for 426 at the crank but multiple users ( check the 1le forum for dyno sheets) are puttin anywhere from 385-406 hp to the wheels bone stock i had mine put on the dyno with no mods in 55 degree weather at close to sea level and i put 397, 395, 395 on 3 runs about ten minutes apart
Dyno numbers are great for a tool but take your car to the strip and compare it's trap speed to standard LS3 times and you will know if your car is indeed making more power.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #41
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I can't see trading in an SS and getting bent over on the trade, just for the 1LE. To me, losing that much money wouldn't be worth the small differences.

I like the comment above about taking the platform and making it your own. There are tons of upgrades that can be done to an SS to get it just the way you want it. For me, it's a moot point anyway...I don't drive stick.
I'm getting bent over trying to make my '12 a 1LE. I gave up and mine is on the way. You spend TOO MUCH $$ converting an SS. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #42
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I'm getting bent over trying to make my '12 a 1LE. I gave up and mine is on the way. You spend TOO MUCH $$ converting an SS. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
Good luck Make sure the dealer uses lube, haha. Trading in cars sucks, but you gotta be happy with your ride.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote