Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #5405
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Nice Pics guys! M1 Carbine is pretty sweet!
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #5406
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post

Correct Grade (now, swapped out all the non-matching parts)

This was my headboard several years ago; The M1 Carbine is a Saginaw Steering Gear production, still stamped "GENERAL MOTORS" on the barrel and receiver, the Garand is the same as pictured above, but the 1911 is an all matching 1917 production World War One Army Colt, still stamped "United States Property"

Now you're speaking my language! Your 'US Property' Colt is one year older than my US Property Colt. I should have left the original grips on for the photo, but I was going for a calendar shoot. I lost!

1944 Springfield M1 rifle, 1919 Springfield Model of 1905 bayonet, Detroit Gasket scabbard, 1943 Inland Division of General Motors M1 carbine. I say I'm not a collector but that is apparently a bunch of lies!

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 07-29-2013 at 06:58 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #5407
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Old Rifle Info?

I received some guns from family member after their mother passed and I'm looking for info on them.

If you have any ideas on what they may be that'd be awesome, but if you don't and have a good suggestion for a site to check with that'd be great too.

The only info i've been told is the one on the left is a quad barrel American rifle and the one on the right is suppose to be a authentic British musket.
Attached Images

Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #5408
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
the one on the left is a CVA and worth about $100.. i have/had about three versions of the same rifle

that is one i had
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #5409
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
So awhile back we were talking about wall penetration, rifle vs pistol (maybe someone included a shotgun as well).

I found an interesting site that I had never seen before where some guys ran some tests with various pistol rounds and rifle rounds. I thought I would share.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Basically, we were all pretty wrong as far as what was "safe" to fire in a house. By that I mean specifically just how much penetration some rounds would make. I would not really have imagined a round like a .22 making it through 3 interior walls. The only part I didn't really care for in the test, was comparing 9mm/.45 rounds with some version of a HD round (hollowpoint of some variation), but using XM193 ball for the rifle instead of a HD round as well. I think later they used a frangible ammo though... maybe in a different test, but I can't remember.

The first piece of write up surprised me the most...

Quote:
First, we loaded the box with 12 sheets of 5/8 sheetrock, which is also called wallboard in some areas.
Since it takes 2 sheets per wall, this is the thickness of 6 interior walls.

Why twelve? It seemed like a good number and I thought it might stop most rounds.
I was about to learn something.

First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet.
That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls.
And that's only a .22 pistol.

Long story short, we proceeded to shoot several rounds and they all penetrated all 12 sheets and exited.
Anyway, there are lots of tests/articles on the site. Take a look!

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #5410
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Billabongi-

usually it's easiest to ID those types of rifles by seeing the lockplate side of the rifle
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #5411
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
So awhile back we were talking about wall penetration, rifle vs pistol (maybe someone included a shotgun as well).

I found an interesting site that I had never seen before where some guys ran some tests with various pistol rounds and rifle rounds. I thought I would share.

Basically, we were all pretty wrong as far as what was "safe" to fire in a house. By that I mean specifically just how much penetration some rounds would make. I would not really have imagined a round like a .22 making it through 3 interior walls. The only part I didn't really care for in the test, was comparing 9mm/.45 rounds with some version of a HD round (hollowpoint of some variation), but using XM193 ball for the rifle instead of a HD round as well. I think later they used a frangible ammo though... maybe in a different test, but I can't remember.

Thanks for the post. People don't believe me when I say that I've seen shots fired in a home go completely through the house and exit the residence. This test only covers 6 interior sheet rock walls but I can't think of any firing position in my house that has this many in any given direction, they all have 3 interior walls before the exterior wall or less.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #5412
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Thanks for the post. People don't believe me when I say that I've seen shots fired in a home go completely through the house and exit the residence. This test only covers 6 interior sheet rock walls but I can't think of any firing position in my house that has this many in any given direction, they all have 3 interior walls before the exterior wall or less.
There is another test that they do, when they put sheets up, and then a water jug, and then bricks. The XM193 broke the bricks, but didn't make it all the way through. Most importantly about that test, is they said it was inconsistent. The next time they shot it, it didn't make it to the bricks.

Either way, I'm not as surprised with FMJ 5.56, but I was really surprised how far some of those handgun rounds penetrated, especially being that they were HP. I'm still making my way through some of their other "box o' whatevers".... makes me want to do some of my own testing next time I go shooting.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #5413
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Quote:
There is another test that they do, when they put sheets up, and then a water jug, and then bricks. The XM193 broke the bricks, but didn't make it all the way through. Most importantly about that test, is they said it was inconsistent. The next time they shot it, it didn't make it to the bricks.

Either way, I'm not as surprised with FMJ 5.56, but I was really surprised how far some of those handgun rounds penetrated, especially being that they were HP. I'm still making my way through some of their other "box o' whatevers".... makes me want to do some of my own testing next time I go shooting.
While this is certainly interesting, I believe there is a flaw in their testing method. I have never seen a house that had two walls spaced an inch or two apart that only had an inch or two of clear space between the drywall sheets.

For a projectile to travel through two walls of a normal house, it has to penetrate two drywall sheets spaced roughly four inches apart, then travel upwards of eight feet before penetrating another two drywall sheets spaced four inches apart.

And that's all assuming the projectile is hitting each wall completely perpendicular to the wall face. Even a slight angle of incidence to the face of the wall will create some seriously awkward ballistics.

A projectile loses energy every foot that it travels. It loses a significant amount of energy when it has to penetrated a medium that is 5/8" thick, regardless of its composition.

I have a feeling that most rounds, after traveling through a single typical wall will have a tendency to tumble once they come out the other side.

This test doesn't allow any of the projectiles to replicate any type of tumbling between walls. The projectiles immediately engage another sheet every inch or two, and therefore have no space for any tumbling effect to take place.

I would certainly be curious to see this same set of tests performed with a more accurate depiction of typical home construction with appropriate air gaps between each wall.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #5414
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
While this is certainly interesting, I believe there is a flaw in their testing method. I have never seen a house that had two walls spaced an inch or two apart that only had an inch or two of clear space between the drywall sheets.

For a projectile to travel through two walls of a normal house, it has to penetrate two drywall sheets spaced roughly four inches apart, then travel upwards of eight feet before penetrating another two drywall sheets spaced four inches apart.

And that's all assuming the projectile is hitting each wall completely perpendicular to the wall face. Even a slight angle of incidence to the face of the wall will create some seriously awkward ballistics.

A projectile loses energy every foot that it travels. It loses a significant amount of energy when it has to penetrated a medium that is 5/8" thick, regardless of its composition.

I have a feeling that most rounds, after traveling through a single typical wall will have a tendency to tumble once they come out the other side.

This test doesn't allow any of the projectiles to replicate any type of tumbling between walls. The projectiles immediately engage another sheet every inch or two, and therefore have no space for any tumbling effect to take place.

I would certainly be curious to see this same set of tests performed with a more accurate depiction of typical home construction with appropriate air gaps between each wall.

I agree. They're creating the "perfect storm" by shooting straight through layers of sheetrock, but we all know there's a whole lot more inside a typical home. What about studs, electrical wire, brick, furniture or even insulation? All these things can either slow or change the trajectory of the bullet.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #5415
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I agree. They're creating the "perfect storm" by shooting straight through layers of sheetrock, but we all know there's a whole lot more inside a typical home. What about studs, electrical wire, brick, furniture or even insulation? All these things can either slow or change the trajectory of the bullet.
I agree with both of you, but it's the closest "test" I could really find on the subject. I don't know about the insulation thought... most homes interior walls don't use insulation. They only use it on the exterior walls. Yes, I know some homes do, but a surprising amount do not.

I'd like to find someone from out of town that needs some "rennovation" to their home Maybe Mythbusters will do a more accurate test if I write in? Then again, maybe my curiousity will get the better of me... there are some deserts out here, and all I would need are the same materials and about 100 feet to stage a 3-room wall set up. Maybe I'll set aside some money over the next couple of months and do some of my own testing....

My friends and I have everything from a .22 to a 30-06, and multiple ammo types for each firearm...

If I decide to do this, I'll be back here asking for everyone's input to the test conditions to make sure I don't miss anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #5416
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
I agree with both of you, but it's the closest "test" I could really find on the subject. I don't know about the insulation thought... most homes interior walls don't use insulation. They only use it on the exterior walls. Yes, I know some homes do, but a surprising amount do not.

I'd like to find someone from out of town that needs some "rennovation" to their home Maybe Mythbusters will do a more accurate test if I write in? Then again, maybe my curiousity will get the better of me... there are some deserts out here, and all I would need are the same materials and about 100 feet to stage a 3-room wall set up. Maybe I'll set aside some money over the next couple of months and do some of my own testing....

My friends and I have everything from a .22 to a 30-06, and multiple ammo types for each firearm...

If I decide to do this, I'll be back here asking for everyone's input to the test conditions to make sure I don't miss anything.
That would be cool.

These pics might more accurately convey what I was talking about. Here are some images I took when my house was being built. Obviously there's a lot more to hit than just sheetrock.
Attached Images

Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #5417
kalimus

Quote:
That would be cool.

These pics might more accurately convey what I was talking about. Here are some images I took when my house was being built. Obviously there's a lot more to hit than just sheetrock.
Absolutely. I'm not sure how to test something like framework, since the chance to hit is is completely random, and less likely than punching through the sheetrock. I want to say that studs are placed every 18 inches, and they are generally 2" wide... I'd be open to suggestions about that...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #5418
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Quote:
That would be cool.

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm not sure how to test something like framework, since the chance to hit is is completely random, and less likely than punching through the sheetrock. I want to say that studs are placed every 18 inches, and they are generally 2" wide... I'd be open to suggestions about that...
That would absolutely be cool. I'd love to be able to do that kind of testing.

Typical home construction studs are 18" apart on center. And yeah, a round hitting a stud would be a whole different issue from just hitting drywall. So, to plan for that, you simply mark the wall where the studs are located to know where to aim.

For the sake of "worst-case scenario" you'd want to test the walls without anything inside them. But to be the most realistic and still be scientific about it, you could build two interior walls 8-feet apart and then add a third exterior wall complete with insulation and a brick layer behind it. Each wall really only needs to be about the size of a single sheet of drywall (typically 4' wide x 8' tall). Another potential factor could be plumbing, but I don't know if many home invasion shootings occur in the bathroom, which would then introduce a variety of wall surface treatments like different tile types or mirrors and cabinets which is probably a bit of overkill.

That kind of testing wouldn't necessarily be expensive, but it wouldn't necessarily be cheap either. And it would certainly require a significant amount of setup time. So, it just depends on how comprehensive you want to be.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun