Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Had my blood boiling early on today

Today went to a local dealer for a simple oil change
Just like the book says ,change the engine oil at least once a year or when the
oil change indicator lights up
When asked by the Service ADVISER for the odometer numbers , just shy of
15k ( 2010 ) model

I was offered a 15k service for only $422
I had to explain twice to him that I just wanted/needed a simple oil change

He went on explaining that this car required the said service , and that the dealers around the country are better informed about on how to take care of these cars than what it says on the book
Then I try to explain that I think that those people that designed ,built and texted these cars should know better than the people that service the cars

He comes back saying , My friend ! I do this for over 22 years , I know my job !!!

I had to say again that I'm just following the BOOK AND IM sticking with that

Man , I was ready to take my car keys ( fob ) back and just drive off

Somehow he got it , and just did what I wanted

Needless to say , that I'M no longer going there , and I do have a little tag to make my feelings know to his boss

Going to get myself a set of ramps , gloves , oil filters and do it my self for next time

Last edited by oldfriend; 02-22-2015 at 06:30 PM.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Dealers suck, I never deal with them unless it's a recall. You are better off getting a set of Rhino ramps and doing just what you said.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
Dealers suck, I never deal with them unless it's a recall. You are better off getting a set of Rhino ramps and doing just what you said.
come on man, i'm at a dealer but for the most part your right and that ruins the reputations for the few that try to fly straight. and regarding this guys issue, that was his job to offer this but was not his job to keep hounding you about it so I agree, find somewhere or someone else, but if you are at all mechanically inclined, most of that you can doo at home
I would keep recipts though
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Its the nature of the business its geared toward being dishonest. If the mechanics don't fix anything they don't get a paycheck. Imo dealerships compensation package is completely broken at how they pay there mechanics. A complete overhaul is badly needed. Paying them a honest living that is right for the customer should be top priority not ripping off unsuspecting customers. We the tax payers saved there ass big time and how do they repay us by going back to there old ways and playing the same old tricks its disgusting. I go to jiffy lube then stand and supervise while they change my oil. When i need repairs that i cant do i go to a independent. I have tried over and over to find a honest dealership just to fix and maintain only what it needs without them trying to take me to the cleaners with 0 luck. Now i know some of our members have had great relationships with some of there dealers but for me not so much. Dealerships aka stealerships suck for the most part.

Last edited by Thrillz; 03-15-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
honestly, I've never understood why people go to the dealership for maintenance and repairs. I would think by now everyone knows how they are. I mean, why do you think they love to give free oil changes when you buy a car

as someone else said, just go to a jiffy lube,. though I wouldn't stand over them. if they do something wrong, they're liable.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Outlander
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
You could always call Chevy customer service to lodge a complaint regarding the dealership pushing unneeded services.

What if your dentist worked like that?

Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Engine oil conditioner?

Even the owner's manual says: don't use oil additives. This dealer is a crook.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
$422 to inspect stuff.. wow yeah stay clear of them!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
I go to jiffy lube then stand and supervise while they change my oil. When i need repairs that i cant do i go to a independent. I have tried over and over to find a honest dealership just to fix and maintain only what it needs without them trying to take me to the cleaners with 0 luck. Now i know some of our members have had great relationships with some of there dealers but for me not so much. Dealerships aka stealerships suck for the most part.
I'm doing it for now on , I use to get it done myself on other cars tha I have owned before , but one sometimes gets really tight up with all the other things in life and just go to some place to have it done
But from now on , I have a little more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
come on man, i'm at a dealer but for the most part your right and that ruins the reputations for the few that try to fly straight. and regarding this guys issue, that was his job to offer this but was not his job to keep hounding you about it so I agree, find somewhere or someone else, but if you are at all mechanically inclined, most of that you can doo at home
I would keep recipts though
I do know that some are good , I used one before that was honest (service advi/)
But one day I took the Avalanche over there , my kid went to get it , I drove her there and she drove the truck back home , she had to pull over on the freeway , because the dashboard got all the warning lights blinking , we return to the shop , and the service Advi/ start saying that she might have done something wrong while driving , she got all red and just saying that she was just driving it home ( about 1/2 from the dealer when it happen ) he continue saying that nothing was wrong with the truck , even without taking a look at it before start saying that to her
That did it for me
And yes I made sure that she did the report card for that visit to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
I believed that this dealer was a better one , it may still bee , but this service advi/ is a no keeper

I'm not sure about what oil thy did the service , I have no way to find out .
And I also still have that tag to report how good the service advi/ was
And I'm that kind off a guy that when credit is due , I jump some loops to do just that
But on the other side , I tend to make sure that the guys above the food chain
get to know how the people below them are doing
Maybe they are just following orders from above , but it's not up to me to find that out
Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Engine oil conditioner?

Even the owner's manual says: don't use oil additives. This dealer is a crook.
Little bastards huh !!!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
You could always call Chevy customer service to lodge a complaint regarding the dealership pushing unneeded services.

What if your dentist worked like that?

Holy crap , you don't want go there
Imagine if the dentist was like that , open one's mouth and say nothing !
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
I understand everyone's feelings about the dealer, all I can say for me personally, i'm not in the rip off business, I am not superstitious but do believe in karma, and being crooked will bite them
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm involved with an aftermarket Auto Service provider and they check all of those items in a Courtesy Check and a base service for around $30. There are good dealers out there but with costs skyrocketing you are seeing all service providers trying to sell maintanence because these cars just don't break down like the old ones use too.

Just like individual shops there are good and bad ones.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 03-15-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Let's put it like this, that dealer was lubing everything except your rear end.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote