Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
I understand everyone's feelings about the dealer, all I can say for me personally, i'm not in the rip off business, I am not superstitious but do believe in karma, and being crooked will bite them
I don't think that's the dealer per say , but this S/A was a pushy guy , this was may third visit to this place , once with this car , and once with my working van
First two was with a different S/A ,each time and I was very pleased with the service

While there , and before he got me that estimate , I notice him looking at the computer screen with a deeper attention , like , this guy is coming again for service , (we have him in the bag )
Going to nail him this time .
It may be a dealer policy , that after a certain number of visits, try and sell more
But again I have no way to find out

Or could it be that he though , this guy have a different accent , yeah , I did come from a different place , but that's not the way to do business .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I work for an aftermarket Auto Service provider and we check all of those items in a Courtesy Check and a base service for around $30. There are good dealers out there but with costs skyrocketing you are seeing all service providers trying to sell maintanence because these cars just don't break down like the old ones use too.
And that gives them the reason to screw the costumers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Let's put it like this, that dealer was lubing everything except your rear end.
You got that one right

I'm thinking on how to send an email with a copy off the offered service (((. oil cleaner )))
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #17
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
I don't think that's the dealer per say , but this S/A was a pushy guy , this was may third visit to this place , once with this car , and once with my working van
First two was with a different S/A ,each time and I was very pleased with the service

While there , and before he got me that estimate , I notice him looking at the computer screen with a deeper attention , like , this guy is coming again for service , (we have him in the bag )
Going to nail him this time .
It may be a dealer policy , that after a certain number of visits, try and sell more
But again I have no way to find out

Or could it be that he though , this guy have a different accent , yeah , I did come from a different place , but that's not the way to do business .
they do use your record as a tool but should never be pushy because that runs people off, it would me. also if you liked a writer, you can deal with him only if you want. most good ones know what to do for you
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
And that gives them the reason to screw the r)))
Where the hell did I say that?

But you have to keep in mind all Service providers need to make a profit. The McQuick Lubes have an average ticket of $80-$100 and dealers and independents lose money on a LOF. So, the reality is they will try and sell service maintenance items to pay the their bills, just the way it is. Also, look at it this way given the opportunity to do only LOF's most people will do nothing else and they are the first ones to whine when the car falls apart at 80K miles. Just a fact as Ive been in this business for decades.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Looks like they don't know it takes 8 quarts of oil also.
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:

But you have to keep in mind all Service providers need to make a profit. The McQuick Lubes have an average ticket of $80-$100 and dealers and independents lose money on a LOF. So, the reality is they will try and sell service maintenance items to pay the their bills, just the way it is. Also, look at it this way given the opportunity to do only LOF's most people will do nothing else and they are the first ones to whine when the car falls apart at 80K miles. Just a fact as Ive been in this business for decades.
well said, remember, like anything else, you get back what you put in
Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
oldfriend

Quote:
Off course you didn't say it like that
But when you say that ,,,,costs are sky rocking ,,,,,one can take that like
one have to find a way to make a living and keep up with the costs by selling things/ services that aren't needed or recommended

Well , I already said it and I'm saying it again
I'm that guy that do understand that the dealers , just like anyone else have to make a living , pay their workers , rent , parts etc, etc
I'm not the one that go to ask for services , and ask to get something for free , for the above reasons
I , on the other hand expect that the service done is in line with the requirements off the (book) , already explained that too
Where I work I explain to everyone that we have to make sure people get quality workmanship , in time , and to take pride when asked who did that ?
We did ,thank you .
We have being busy all the time , while others in the trade took unwanted vacations
And I tend to take that mindset with me , when buying services
I never asked for free things when asking for services or otherwise
I'm not a good bargain hunter , and I don't like when people try to bargain me down
I at some point had to find some excuse not to take X job for that reason
Good workmanship = to a Fair price
If someone is looking for the cheapest way to get things done , that's not me
And there you have ,,,,if you pay peanuts , you get monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
well said, remember, like anything else, you get back what you put in
When you bought the car , it came with the ( Book ) for a reason
If one wants to go beyond that , that's fine , but in my eyes , the people that put all of that together , knows a little more than the S/A
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #22
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
i get back by getting summer air for my tires in the winter time.

/karma/payback.

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Quote:
Today went to a local dealer for a simple oil change
Just like the book says ,change the engine oil at least once a year or when the
oil change indicator lights up
When asked by the Service ADVISER for the odometer numbers , just shy of
15k ( 2010 ) model

I was offered a 15k service for only $422
I had to explain twice to him that I just wanted/needed a simple oil change

He went on explaining that this car required the said service , and that the dealers around the country are better informed about on how to take care of these cars than what it says on the book
Then I try to explain that I think that those people that designed ,built and texted these cars should know better than the people that service the cars

He comes back saying , My friend ! I do this for over 22 years , I know my job !!!

I had to say again that I'm just following the BOOK AND IM sticking with that

Man , I was ready to take my car keys ( fob ) back and just drive off

Somehow he got it , and just did what I wanted

Needless to say , that I'M no longer going there , and I do have a little tag to make my feelings know to his boss

Going to get myself a set of ramps , gloves , oil filters and do it my self for next time
Reset Oil Life indicator
Rotate Tires
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
You could always call Chevy customer service to lodge a complaint regarding the dealership pushing unneeded services.

What if your dentist worked like that?

And from GM, you will hear.......deafening.....silence
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Well according to the 2010 Camaro owners manual, those services are needed every other oil change or if more than 10 months since the last oil change pages 10-3 through 10-5. (the 2013 says every 7500 miles)

When the “Change Engine Oil Soon” message displays, certain services, checks, and inspections are required. The services described for Maintenance I should be performed at every engine oil change. The services described for Maintenance II should be performed when: . Maintenance I was performed the last time the engine oil was changed. . It has been 10 months or more since the “ Change Engine Oil Soon ” message has displayed or since the last service.

Maintenance I.
Change engine oil and filter.
See Engine Oil on page 910. An Emission Control Service.
Engine coolant level check. See Engine Coolant on page 918.
.Windshield washer fluid level check. See Washer Fluid on page 926.
.Tire inflation check. See Tire Pressure on page 956.
.Tire wear inspection. See Tire
Inspection on page 963.
If tire rotation is recommended for the vehicle, rotate tires. See Tire Rotation on page 963.
.Fluids visual leak check (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). A leak in any system must be repaired and the fluid level checked.
.Engine air cleaner filter inspection (vehicles driven in dusty conditions only). See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter on page 915.
.Brake system inspection (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first).

MaintenanceII
.Perform all services described in Maintenance I.
.Steering and suspension inspection. Visual inspection for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear.
.Engine cooling system inspection. Visual inspection of hoses, pipes, fittings, and clamps and replacement, if needed

10-4 Service and Maintenance
.Windshield wiper blade inspection for wear, cracking, or contamination and windshield and wiper blade cleaning, if contaminated. See Exterior Care on page 9‑90. Worn or damaged wiper blade replacement. See Wiper Blade Replacement on page 9‑32.

.Body hinges and latches, key lock cylinders, folding seat hardware, and sunroof (if equipped) lubrication. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 10‑8. More frequent lubrication may be required when vehicle is exposed to a corrosive environment. Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth makes them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.

.Restraint system component check. See Safety System Check on page 2‑21.

.Automatic transmission fluid level check and adding fluid, if needed. See Automatic Transmission Fluid on page 9‑14.

.Rear axle fluid level check and adding fluid, if needed. See Rear Axle on page 9‑29.

.Engine air cleaner filter inspection. See Engine AirCleaner/Filter on page 9‑15.

.Passenger compartment air filter replacement (or every 12 months, whichever occurs
first). More frequent replacement may be required if vehicle is driven regularly under dusty
conditions.

There is more to preventative maintenance than just changing the fluids and filters, although most owners rarely ever do. Based on the info we have, I would say that the S/A was right that those services were due. I do agree that he shouldn't have been so pushy. Instead he could have shown you where the owners manual states when they are due instead of insisting that you have them done because he said they were due. 400+ is outrageous to have a mechanic "look over" the car and I would not have paid that either.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #26
TigerFA

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017 Red Hot
Ouch....

2017 2SS, 2014 2SS 1LE, 2014 2SS
TigerFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #27
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
Well according to the 2010 Camaro owners manual, those services are needed every other oil change or if more than 10 months since the last oil change pages 10-3 through 10-5. (the 2013 says every 7500 miles)

When the “Change Engine Oil Soon” message displays, certain services, checks, and inspections are required. The services described for Maintenance I should be performed at every engine oil change. The services described for Maintenance II should be performed when: . Maintenance I was performed the last time the engine oil was changed. . It has been 10 months or more since the “ Change Engine Oil Soon ” message has displayed or since the last service.

Maintenance I.
Change engine oil and filter.
See Engine Oil on page 910. An Emission Control Service.
Engine coolant level check. See Engine Coolant on page 918.
.Windshield washer fluid level check. See Washer Fluid on page 926.
.Tire inflation check. See Tire Pressure on page 956.
.Tire wear inspection. See Tire
Inspection on page 963.
If tire rotation is recommended for the vehicle, rotate tires. See Tire Rotation on page 963.
.Fluids visual leak check (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). A leak in any system must be repaired and the fluid level checked.
.Engine air cleaner filter inspection (vehicles driven in dusty conditions only). See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter on page 915.
.Brake system inspection (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first).

MaintenanceII
.Perform all services described in Maintenance I.
.Steering and suspension inspection. Visual inspection for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear.
.Engine cooling system inspection. Visual inspection of hoses, pipes, fittings, and clamps and replacement, if needed

10-4 Service and Maintenance
.Windshield wiper blade inspection for wear, cracking, or contamination and windshield and wiper blade cleaning, if contaminated. See Exterior Care on page 9‑90. Worn or damaged wiper blade replacement. See Wiper Blade Replacement on page 9‑32.

.Body hinges and latches, key lock cylinders, folding seat hardware, and sunroof (if equipped) lubrication. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 10‑8. More frequent lubrication may be required when vehicle is exposed to a corrosive environment. Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth makes them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.

.Restraint system component check. See Safety System Check on page 2‑21.

.Automatic transmission fluid level check and adding fluid, if needed. See Automatic Transmission Fluid on page 9‑14.

.Rear axle fluid level check and adding fluid, if needed. See Rear Axle on page 9‑29.

.Engine air cleaner filter inspection. See Engine AirCleaner/Filter on page 9‑15.

.Passenger compartment air filter replacement (or every 12 months, whichever occurs
first). More frequent replacement may be required if vehicle is driven regularly under dusty
conditions.

There is more to preventative maintenance than just changing the fluids and filters, although most owners rarely ever do. Based on the info we have, I would say that the S/A was right that those services were due. I do agree that he shouldn't have been so pushy. Instead he could have shown you where the owners manual states when they are due instead of insisting that you have them done because he said they were due. 400+ is outrageous to have a mechanic "look over" the car and I would not have paid that either.
Just going to get to 9,14 about the Automatic transmition oil check
I says in there that THERE IS NO NEED TO ADD TRANSMITION OIL unless there is a visible leak ,other than that There Is No Reason to Add oil to it

What drove me up the wall was that he said that GM when did the BOOK was just a general service recommendations ,and that the dealers S/A are the ones that knows best about the vehicules conditions at the ares where we drive , really ?

I'm sticking with my plan on following the Book

Besides I drive my car only on weekends in general and have always keep an eye on things , windshield whispers , door looks cylinders , door hings etc etc please
Like someone said , up tp 6 qt oil ( engine )
Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I love my stealership in fact i make it a point to steal from them when i'm there for warranty work or my free oil change i feel like robin hood.

I was offered that same BS maintenance albeit a bit cheaper but not by much then they said caliper knuckle service was recommended now i hope no one falls for that load of crap caliper knuckle service is another way they screw people out of money with no knowledge of what it actually is. Anyone can rub a little grease on their calipers and slides in fact it easy to do when your changing wheels or brake pads and what they will take an hour to do will take you 2 minutes for all four calipers max.

My favorite visit was replacing an elderly lady's cabin air filter for free right in there parking lot they were gonna charge her $45 to do it and $65 if she needed the filter to. Takes about 1 minute to change these and it's as easy as opening your glove box cept in our camaro's but it's still damn easy.

I feel your pain OP and all those who've been screwed by the GM dealerships i wish mechanics would rise up and rebel against this crap but they need their jobs so don't expect much.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote