Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Trade In Advice Needed

So my girlfriend has a 2008 Rogue SL AWD with 98k miles that is in pretty good condition, except that the windshield has a crack.

We're looking at trading it in for a used Cruze, with there being some pretty nice ones around here for $14k or less. My question is, would it be more worth it to get the windshield fixed on her Rogue, and then trade it in?

She is upside down in her loan, by how much I'm not exactly sure, still owes about 12k, with $280 month payments....I had no say so in the purchase of this vehicle lol, and it is not in my name.

We would like for her payment to drop some if possible, if anything, switching to the more fuel efficient Cruze will help if the payments can't be lowered. I have about $1250 - $1500 to include with a down payment.

I have really good credit, her not so much, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by nitto85; 07-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
They are probably going to offer you like $5000 for it. You could probably sell it pretty easy for $8000-$8500. Snap some photos and list it on Craigslist. Its free and you will be surprised. Also drop into CarMax and see what they will offer her for it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
I have really good credit, her not so much, let me know what you guys think.
She should keep the Rogue. Moving from one upside down used car loan to another is not economically smart unless it's the only way she can get a lower finance rate (I had this happen years ago, couldn't refinance but got 4-5 percent lower on a new car/loan). Sadly if she's had the car for a while she's already ate most of the interest paid into her current loan (part off the reason she's still upside down). She must have a very high percentage rate on that current loan.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
They are probably going to offer you like $5000 for it. You could probably sell it pretty easy for $8000-$8500. Snap some photos and list it on Craigslist. Its free and you will be surprised. Also drop into CarMax and see what they will offer her for it.
I'm going to guess they're cash strapped and need every bit of equity from the current vehicle to take some of the bite out of the new vehicle, and possibly to roll the gap into the new loan at a lower rate as I explained above.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Being upside down and trading a car in is never good. If she owes 12k and the trade is 8 you spend 12k you will be financing 16k without tax and title fees. You also have to be careful and protect yourself. You stated she is you girlfriend. You don't want to be on the loan just in case something goes wrong in the relationship because then that could ruin your good credit rating if she defaults. Good luck.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I'd say if you're trading it in they are gonna hose you no matter what, but if you try to sell it privately it would definitely be worth it to have it fixed and give it a good cleaning.

Think of how you would feel if you were buying the car and saw it. You're probably not going to pay asking price.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote