Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The Amazing Jumping Car!

A recent post got stuck on, "Who invented mag ride suspension." I don't know who the original idea came from, but it was long before technology could make it work.

This is an excellent video of a suspension before it's time, Bose magic jumping car! Enjoy.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Interesting.....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr Twisty

I have more questions than answers...
Old 09-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
That is a completely different system than mag ride.

Basically, Bose installed linear electric motors in the suspension of each car. Sensors read the road ahead and tell the motors to extend or retract in order to keep the car level. By pulling the wheel up when going over the bump, the bump doesn't have a chance to jolt the wheel up (and the wheel can't jolt the car, and the car can't jolt the driver).

With Magride, the shock fluid has iron particles suspended in it. By introducing a magnetic field, the viscosity of the fluid can be adjusted. Thin for ride comfort, thick for better performance and handling. Sensors measure the vertical movement of the wheel, and from that can determine what the desired shock stiffness should be. If the left side is extending while the right is compressing the car is cornering. If one of the wheels suddenly drops down, you've probably hit a pot hole. And so on.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Sure, spoil the magic with logic and reasoning!

I would say though, this system has more in common with a modern magnetorheological system than your basic hydraulic or pneumatic accumulator.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
My 71 Austin America had a crazy suspension in it... Hydrolastic suspension... cray cray, but it worked, some what.

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx...a/3749289.html

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Sure, spoil the magic with logic and reasoning!

I would say though, this system has more in common with a modern magnetorheological system than your basic hydraulic or pneumatic accumulator.
'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Ford kinda stole that idea:

Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote