Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
chowder

Drives: 2001 chevy camaro z28
ls1 or ls6 block?

Ive been told that in 2001 that Gm placed ls6 blocks in certain f bodies rather than ls1. How do i find out whether or not that i have an ls1 or an ls6 block in my '01 z28?
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

I heard it was the opposite, and it was the different heads were used. I am PRETTY sure that the LS1 and LS6 share the same block and displacement. maybe one of the forumers here can shed more light on this interesting question .
Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It is my understanding that it was the 02 models only and they were done half way through the model year. It, if I remember correctly, is still an LS1 block, but w/ LS6 heads. And, I do recall that the way to find out is that the back of the engine head is stamped w/ "LS6." I almost certain it is behind the block on the drivers side. You have to use some good lighting and a mirror to see back there.

I'm sure on the location...99.99% sure on the model year, etc. But, take a look back there and see what you come up with!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I'll throw some more confusion into the mix.

I thought it was the LS6 intake manifold that was placed in some of the late 4th gen engines.

But I am 90% sure the LS1 and LS6 are the same 5.7L block with the same bore and stroke.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I'll add to that...

The 01 model year got the LS6 intake to add another 5 hp over the year before.

Quote:
Beginning in 2001, the LS1 received the higher-flowing intake (from the LS6), and a smaller camshaft to keep power at the same level; this also allowed GM to remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system (Camaro/Firebird only; 97-00 Corvette LS1 never used an EGR system). The block is very similar to that of the higher-output LS6; beginning in 2002, some LS1 engines were actually built using the LS6 block instead. The LS1 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1998.
It's from wikepedia..take it for what you believe. But, I am certain (in my mind) that it was only the last of the 02's that had the LS1 blocks w/ LS6 heads.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
VIN number? just throwing it in there. Unless this was an off-the-record thing, Wouldn't your Vin # tell you all?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Don't think so. Think the VIN just shows "LS1" designation. Then again, I could be wrong. I do remember reading about this whole deal in either Car Craft, Chevy Hi-Performance, or GMHTP. They had a picture of the LS6 stamp on the back of the engine head. It was a loooooooong time ago. But, yeah...01's forward got the LS6 intake. And something like the last half of 02's got the LS6 heads.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Which would exlplain:rollyes:...why the F-bodys (SS) were slightly more powerful/faster than the Corvette of that time(not the Z06)...interesting.

I thought that was completely due to underrating...cool
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

What ticks me off is that a stock SS could have actually been a SS by GM not putting in a smaller camshaft to keep the hp leves down and away from the vette. They could have left it alone making the SS hp #'s 50hp or so more than a stock Z28. Serioulsy, all I had to do to make my Z28 #'s match my SS were to replace the air intake and toss in a cold air kit. Heck...just putting in the SLP lid made a HUGE differece.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

That was the "package". Hopefully we shan't see that again.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Actually, the ram air hood is what GM claimed to be giving the SS the extra hp over the Z28. Because there was no other engine changes between the two.

Ran a 12.88 in my SS
Ran a 12.74 in my Z28

Only difference...Loudmouth exhaust on my Z28 vs. the SLP Dual/dual exhaust on my SS. The weather conditions were the same, the track conditions the same, and it was even at the same track. The Z28 was consistently running quicker times....I don't know...weird.

But, all I'm saying is that they should have left the same cam in the SS instead of using a smaller one for the production SS.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Okay this is off topic but....

What exactly is a Lid? Someone told me it was just a CAI for the F-bodies, but I see that you also have a CAI listed.

Those times were both on street tires right? I think I asked that before, but I can't remember.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Okay this is off topic but....

What exactly is a Lid? Someone told me it was just a CAI for the F-bodies, but I see that you also have a CAI listed.

Those times were both on street tires right? I think I asked that before, but I can't remember.
CAI is a cold air intake that can come in on one of two places (normally). The first is through the OEM SS hood. It pushes the cold air into the SLP lid under the front lip of the lid. There's a small slit under the front about 3/4 of an inch in height and is the length of the lid.

Then, the other method for cold air intake is to add a CAI under the air filter in front of the radiator. You cut holes under your air filter in the black plastic. If anyone is interested in this, I can find the mod write up on it and post it.

The SLP lid is simply a lid that covers the air filter. The stock air intake is huge and has two air resivoirs that don't allow for a quick, fluid, air flow. The stock peice also has multiple plastic ridges inside the lid which further prevents free air flow. The SLP lid is smooth on its underside...and doens't have the resivoirs.

Here's the pix I just took. Yes, it's dirty as all heck under the hood. It's getting cleaned ASAP for the car show. But, for now...you can see the SLP lid (has big SLP letters on top) which directs airflow into the Mass Air Flow sensor, through the smooth bellows, and on into the engine, etc...
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Yes from 2002+ GM had LS6 vice LS1 blocks, they also had the LS6 intake manifold with them also.

so heres how to tell. the LS1 manifold isnt flat on its bottom side and has an "X" pattern on the plastic. the LS6 manifold is flat on its bottom and has a SQUARE pattern on the plastic. Im at work so I dont have picks but if you need me to clarify further let me know
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote