Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Breesy

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT
Unhappy Need help. Window scratches...maybe

Looking for some expertise on windows streaks/scratches. My driver side window had streaks on it when I purchased it. It was a certified pre-owned...barely over a year old. But it looks like the bottom window seal had caused the windows to streak or actually scratch the glass.

I've tried everything from alcohol to window cleaner to a clay bar but it seems it might be scratched. The whole back half of the driver's side windows is like this. I've attached a close up of what it looks like.

Any ideas on how to fix it or will I have to replace it? If so how much would that cost? Thanks for the help in advance.
Attached Images

Breesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
If they are scratches you will likely need a machine polisher to fix them. Do you own or have any experience with machine polishing?
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
From the pic though they don't really look like scratches as they appear to wave back and forth. When you cleaned with alcohol did you notice any transfer (color) on the cloth?
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Breesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
If they are scratches you will likely need a machine polisher to fix them. Do you own or have any experience with machine polishing?
I don't have any experience doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
From the pic though they don't really look like scratches as they appear to wave back and forth. When you cleaned with alcohol did you notice any transfer (color) on the cloth?
When I rub my hand across it the marks feel like bumps or ridges. I can't remember if there was any transfer after cleaning it with alcohol...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Try Duragloss Nu-Glass by hand. It will not scratch, distort, haze, dull, or damage your glass. It runs about 6-7 bucks and works pretty well in polishing and removing junk off your windshield. You can also use a PC with a White pad to remove and polish the glass.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Those don't look like scratches to me... like Todd suggested wipe with alcohol first to see if they come off. Even take a mild polishing compound and rub on a small section to see if the area improves... its possible the glass just has something stuck to it.

I've also seen cases where there was grease or some kind of contamination on the bottom seal that just keeps streaking up the glass when its rolled up/down.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

It also could be dirt trap in the window channel and when you raise or lower the window this is what you get. Check your weather strip in that area for trap dirt or junk in there.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Breesy

Thanks guys. I tried alcohol before and it didn't do anything for the streaks. I have cleaned the weather strip on the bottom...that's probably what caused it in the first place. I'll have to try that polish to see if it helps.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Breesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Try Duragloss Nu-Glass by hand. It will not scratch, distort, haze, dull, or damage your glass. It runs about 6-7 bucks and works pretty well in polishing and removing junk off your windshield. You can also use a PC with a White pad to remove and polish the glass.
any place local I can get this? I see you're in Tampa also.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Angelo@Autopia

Most Car Quest stores have them and these places also: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/duragloss-car-care.html
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/durag...FYqb7QodF2CzUg

Yes, I'm in the Palm harbor area.