Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Adam's Americana - Just Half A Test Episode 3

This video series is all about testing the beading and sheeting properties of different LSPs and bringing the results to you.

Video in link, hope you enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/2UVYEajqvBE

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 05-30-2013 at 11:12 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
I agree it sheets very well! Short and sweet and to the point, nice job.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Thanks chase!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
First off, I'm not knocking your video or Americana- I think they're both very good.

That being said, the uncoated side sheets just as well as Americana in that video if you just give it a couple more seconds. Kind of interesting.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
First off, I'm not knocking your video or Americana- I think they're both very good.

That being said, the uncoated side sheets just as well as Americana in that video if you just give it a couple more seconds. Kind of interesting.
Yeah, that is true.

But what I've noticed is that when the hood is very clean bare paint, it does sheet.

Once it gets dirty, the waxed side continues to bead and sheet, while the non-waxed side loses all ability to sheet and bead.

That's why I didn't mention that aspect.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yeah, that is true.

But what I've noticed is that when the hood is very clean bare paint, it does sheet.

Once it gets dirty, the waxed side continues to bead and sheet, while the non-waxed side loses all ability to sheet and bead.

That's why I didn't mention that aspect.
I agree. It's my opinion that what allows water to sheet is not so much the hydrophobic properties of an LSP, but rather a smooth surface that presents less surface area for water to cling to.

I'm far from a scientist, but I sometimes think about these things and formulate my own opinions, right or wrong lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
I agree. It's my opinion that what allows water to sheet is not so much the hydrophobic properties of an LSP, but rather a smooth surface that presents less surface area for water to cling to.

I'm far from a scientist, but I sometimes think about these things and formulate my own opinions, right or wrong lol.
Still compare Adam's Americana to Wolfgang Fuzion and anyone like me who has both will be pissed they spent so much on Fuzion!

Fuzion actually shed much less water than the clean side, how's that for a non-hydrophobic wax.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Still compare Adam's Americana to Wolfgang Fuzion and anyone like me who has both will be pissed they spent so much on Fuzion!

Fuzion actually shed much less water than the clean side, how's that for a non-hydrophobic wax.
Lol. For sure. Top 5 worst LSPs ever. Crisco would be better.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:

Theres definitely something to your thought process... a perfectly clean and smoothed paint surface will sheet well, but typically doesn't bead very well when compared to the waxed side.

Its when the surfaces start to become contaminated that you see a bigger difference in the sheeting properties (as Roshan touched on)

Water will sheet off of almost any clean/smooth surface.

What I find really interesting is how even a cleaned but unpolished/swirled surface holds water. You'd think with as small the actual swirl is on the surface is it wouldn't have as big of an impact on beading/sheeting, but it truly does.

If you ever get bored, decon a whole panel, then polish only one half then play with water on it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

I'll definitely do so... If my internet and cable quit and my laptop and books burn down, all at once

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
I'll definitely do so... If my internet and cable quit and my laptop and books burn down, all at once

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
well you keep fiddling away with your toys, I'll do the test. Got too much spare time as it is lol!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Good stuff Roshan, thanks for posting!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
great video
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:

CRAP, my camaro doesn't sheet if freaking stands on the hood, and everywhere else, guess I need to clay. Yay me...
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote