Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #57
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
The argument is about LED's vs incandescent not being about style. What you're showing is accent lighting. The Camaro taillights are not accent lights, they are turn signals, brakes and backup lights. In that case, it's not about style and LED's offer numerous advantages over incandescent.

You're just twisting his words and manipulating the subject to try and prove you're right, but you're not.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #58
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
I always feel like I'm one of the few people who actually really like the 14-15 taillights!
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #59
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
The argument is about LED's vs incandescent not being about style. What you're showing is accent lighting. The Camaro taillights are not accent lights, they are turn signals, brakes and backup lights. In that case, it's not about style and LED's offer numerous advantages over incandescent.

You're just twisting his words and manipulating the subject to try and prove you're right, but you're not.
Well you can twist my words all you want - go back and read my original opinion. My original point was LEDs are more for show than anything - more to grab potential buyer's attention and appeal to their love of bling. LEDs are where it's at for many of today's drivers, and it's for style and appearance... not safety or any of that crap. You may like them because they look cool and that's fine for you. To finalize, I don't think they look cool - I think they look gaudy and glitzy and that's about it.

But be happy! Your opinion wins per GM's design philosophy: Dazzle them with bright and shiny objects and they'll open their wallets to get some.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #60
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Well you can twist my words all you want - go back and read my original opinion. My original point was LEDs are more for show than anything - more to grab potential buyer's attention and appeal to their love of bling. LEDs are where it's at for many of today's drivers, and it's for style and appearance... not safety or any of that crap. You may like them because they look cool and that's fine for you. To finalize, I don't think they look cool - I think they look gaudy and glitzy and that's about it.

But be happy! Your opinion wins per GM's design philosophy: Dazzle them with bright and shiny objects and they'll open their wallets to get some.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #61
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

Do you hate your Halos?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #62
IOMike

Quote:

No, you said the LED tail lights are about show and they're ugly. You're proof that LED taillights are only for show us some pics of accent lighting, which is completely irrelevant.

The actual LED technology does increase the safety aspect over incandescent and that's a fact. Your opinion is that they look worse.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #63
IOMike

Here is a quote I stole from another forum, I did not write it.

"I've known that LEDs are faster to come up to brightness than Incandescent bulbs, but didn't realize how much different they really were. Looking over a bunch of video, frame by frame (easiest method at hand right now), I see about 0.2 seconds faster, and really 0.3 seconds faster for the LEDs to hit full brightness. The circuit used on the LEDs takes 0.0002 seconds to hit full brightness, from when the brake pedal is touched.

So, lets say it takes 0.2 seconds. Assume you are driving 60 mph on the highway. There are 5,280 feet in a mile. 60 mph * 5,280 ft = 316,800 feet per hour.

There are 60 minutes in an hour, 316,800 feet per hour / 60 minutes = 5,280 feet per minute.

There are 60 seconds in a minute. 5280/60 = 88 feet per second.

88 * 0.2 seconds = 17.6 feet

So, an LED brake light could allow a person to <font color="red">stop 17.6 feet sooner</font> than with Incandescent.

But there is more. I've noticed that folks react alot quicker to the instant on effect of an LED vs. the slow ramp up in brightness of an incandescent. What this equates to in reaction time is unknown to me.

Here is a compressed video, sorry about the loss of frames and poor quality due to the compression, notice how the LED light, the top 3rd tail light comes on faster than the lower two normal incandescent tail lights:

http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/dougta~6.avi

(I had to watch the video about 20 times to get my mind and eyes sync'd to actually appreaciate it)"
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #64
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'm having a hell of a time finding it...perhaps it was just a very popular mod in my area for the 3rd gen firebirds?
You can't find it because no firebird/trans am ever had round tailgate in any generation.

There were a few people that bastardized some third gens by doing corvette taillight conversions like this abortion.

Last edited by motorhead; 12-09-2015 at 08:10 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #65
PalmerGA

Quote:
Here is a quote I stole from another forum, I did not write it.

"I've known that LEDs are faster to come up to brightness than Incandescent bulbs, but didn't realize how much different they really were. Looking over a bunch of video, frame by frame (easiest method at hand right now), I see about 0.2 seconds faster, and really 0.3 seconds faster for the LEDs to hit full brightness. The circuit used on the LEDs takes 0.0002 seconds to hit full brightness, from when the brake pedal is touched.

So, lets say it takes 0.2 seconds. Assume you are driving 60 mph on the highway. There are 5,280 feet in a mile. 60 mph * 5,280 ft = 316,800 feet per hour.

There are 60 minutes in an hour, 316,800 feet per hour / 60 minutes = 5,280 feet per minute.

There are 60 seconds in a minute. 5280/60 = 88 feet per second.

88 * 0.2 seconds = 17.6 feet

So, an LED brake light could allow a person to <font color="red">stop 17.6 feet sooner</font> than with Incandescent.

But there is more. I've noticed that folks react alot quicker to the instant on effect of an LED vs. the slow ramp up in brightness of an incandescent. What this equates to in reaction time is unknown to me.

Here is a compressed video, sorry about the loss of frames and poor quality due to the compression, notice how the LED light, the top 3rd tail light comes on faster than the lower two normal incandescent tail lights:

http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/dougta~6.avi

(I had to watch the video about 20 times to get my mind and eyes sync'd to actually appreaciate it)"
That's a very long and convoluted way of saying... until you see these LED brake lights applied up ahead of you time after time after time, over and over again, your mind and your eyes won't synch quickly enough to know the difference. So what's the point?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #66
PalmerGA

Quote:
No, you said the LED tail lights are about show and they're ugly.
I believe I said "gaudy and glitzy". Not the same as ugly, but whatever.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #67
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Do you hate your Halos?
Nope... don't hate them. I admit they are a bit over the top since they serve no purpose other than for looks, but they came with the HID headlights for the RS package (which I very much wanted) so there ya go. As I said earlier, the LED tail lights on the 6th Gen would not stop me from buying one. I just see them as a gimmick to attract buyers and if it were an option I could pass on... I would.

Last edited by PalmerGA; 06-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #68
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Nope... don't hate them. I admit they are a bit over the top since they serve no purpose other than for looks, but they came with the HID headlights for the RS package (which I very much wanted) so there ya go. As I said earlier, the LED tail lights on the 6th Gen would not stop me from buying one. I just see them as a gimmick to attract buyers and if it were an option I could pass on... I would.
Just because you don't like it makes it a gimmick to attract buyers. I hate to tell you ,but that's what the entire car is if you think about how you are putting it. The name of of the game is to sell cars. That's how car makers stay in business. With your philosophy convertibles, chrome wheels, black wheels, V8s, stripes, leather seats, heated seats, cooled seats, power seats, keyless entry, push button start, automatic transmissions, choices of paint colors, Nav, stereos, Bluetooth, and so on and so on are all gimmicks to sell cars. None of it is needed to move you safely from point a to point b.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #69
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
So basically you got the RS on your SS just for the HID headlights..Well if you want an SS 6th gen then you don't need to buy an RS package to get the HIDs its all standard, it's the same thing. If you want something sometimes you get more than you want.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #70
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
How about 2010 - 2013 tail lights in a '70 Z28? The 2010 tail lights to me at least...hearken back to the 2nd gen, early 70's tail lights.

This instead of...

Originally this...
I believe this is what NJScorpio was referring to when he mistakenly stated round "Firebird" tail lights. 1970 - 1973 Camaro tail lights.