Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #71
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
"Better"? I would NOT want to be seen in that!

huh
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #72
J666

Drives: Camaro
Congrats, OP!
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #73
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
All I expect is some common sense and respect as well. What I've seen is a bunch of simulations and magazine preaching although every real world result so far has been the opposite. Not taking away from the zl1 because I believe it has GREAT potential but not in stock form. There are things that clearly need to be addressed but that's with every Car that comes out. I would love to see a 3900 lb 620 hp zl1 in the near future with an upgraded intercooler system. Now that would be upping the ante.

yeah but a 660HP ZL1 with an upgraded intercooler..would definitely upppp the ante..let's say apples for apples, but the ZL1 would be clear winner then IMO
No doubt but as others have said will they really do that with the zr1 only having 638 hp? Hypothetically it would be a drivers race in a straightline(ie highway, street or drag strip) but around the road course I'd have to give the zl1 the win.
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #74
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
yeah but a 660HP ZL1 with an upgraded intercooler..would definitely upppp the ante..let's say apples for apples, but the ZL1 would be clear winner then IMO
what if the next gt500 had IRS? would the upgraded ZL1 still be the clear winner? let's keep it apples to apples, right?
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #75
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
what if the next gt500 had IRS? would the upgraded ZL1 still be the clear winner? let's keep it apples to apples, right?

How in the HELL is that apples to apples?

A car that exists vs a hypothetical?
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #76
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
My apples to apples comparison was based soley on horsepower, since obviously there are many differences between the two cars..if the ZL1 can hang with the GT500 lacking 80hp i would think that if the two had similar HP the ZL1 would be the clear winner even being a heavier car..I think that makes 3 times now I've said the said the same thing but I hope this clarifies it.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #77
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
My apples to apples comparison was based soley on horsepower, since obviously there are many differences between the two cars..if the ZL1 can hang with the GT500 lacking 80hp i would think that if the two had similar HP the ZL1 would be the clear winner even being a heavier car..I think that makes 3 times now I've said the said the same thing but I hope this clarifies it.
Both are going to add significant cost to each respective car. You want factory offered hp to match the gt500? There's another 10k in the engine alone. You want a factory suspension on the gt500 to match the zl1? There's another 10k in suspension alone. Both cars are built to perform extremely well and they do, just using different approaches. You can't have both for this price, it is not going to happen. A 2015 zl1 with 662hp would molest a current gt500. On the other hand, a 2015 gt500 with switchblade IRS would destroy a current zl1. Both are going to cost an arm and a leg.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #78
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg680 View Post
I couldn't be happier! I've never owned a Ford in my life but I decided back in March that I wanted one and put down a deposit. After waiting months and hearing more and more great feedback on the ZL1 and also some of the issues folks were having with the GT500, I found a Victory Red ZL1 with the six speed manual and silver wheels up in Michigan. I flew up last Wednesday and drove it home.

I sold my 2009 CTS-V to get the ZL1 and I was a little apprehensive that I was giving up such an awesome car for something lesser. My concerns were unfounded because the ZL1 is simply an outstanding vehicle. Although the CTS-V was equipped with every bell and whistle, It was too quiet, had an automatic transmission, and was black (tough to keep clean). Simply put... It was too nice.

The ZL1 on the other hand is a more engaging performance vehicle. The sound coupled with the familiar power of the LSA engine, and six speed transmission is an intoxicating combination. I couldn't be happier...

It looks like my modified C5 Corvette is gonna be collecting some dust.
Congrats OP. Sorry your thread got derailed by beating a dead horse discussions.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #79
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Congrats op. if you're happy. That's all that matters
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #80
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Congrats! I'm not surprised about the transmission problems. Ford's been having trouble with that lately.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #81
WILD67

Drives: '12 ZL1 / '67 RS
OP - Congrats on the new ZL1!

Generally speaking, as far as I'm concerned both cars are amazing, and yes while we all want our car / manufacturer to have and be the best out there the reality is each car has pros and cons. We simply need to accept, keep the games off the playground (ie. Don’t act like 12yr olds) and no low blows.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it shouldn't be a stretch to be respectful to fellow enthusiasts and try to understand where others with differing opinions are coming from. Now that said, "Sh!t fights" can be entertaining as long as they are kept respectful and don't go down the preverbal rat hole.
I have the 2012 ZL1 and would have been equally as happy with a GT500. And like the OP I originally had (and still do have) a deposit on a '13 GT500, for a few reasons – it appears to be a truly amazing ride (and this yes stmt is coming from a GM guy), dealers have a higher num of allocations therefore easier to get, and the ford dealers, at least in my area, were much better to deal with. I'm a long term GM loyalist but I just about stitched allegiance due to the poor service from of some of the GM sales folks around here… oops… hope I’m not going down the above said rat hole. Don’t want to be a hypocrite.
Anyway, get out on the road and enjoy your rides, whichever or whatever you have!
WILD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #82
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Post pics of your new ZL1.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #83
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD67 View Post
OP - Congrats on the new ZL1!

Generally speaking, as far as I'm concerned both cars are amazing, and yes while we all want our car / manufacturer to have and be the best out there the reality is each car has pros and cons. We simply need to accept, keep the games off the playground (ie. Don’t act like 12yr olds) and no low blows.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it shouldn't be a stretch to be respectful to fellow enthusiasts and try to understand where others with differing opinions are coming from. Now that said, "Sh!t fights" can be entertaining as long as they are kept respectful and don't go down the preverbal rat hole.
I have the 2012 ZL1 and would have been equally as happy with a GT500. And like the OP I originally had (and still do have) a deposit on a '13 GT500, for a few reasons – it appears to be a truly amazing ride (and this yes stmt is coming from a GM guy), dealers have a higher num of allocations therefore easier to get, and the ford dealers, at least in my area, were much better to deal with. I'm a long term GM loyalist but I just about stitched allegiance due to the poor service from of some of the GM sales folks around here… oops… hope I’m not going down the above said rat hole. Don’t want to be a hypocrite.
Anyway, get out on the road and enjoy your rides, whichever or whatever you have!
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #84
WILD67

Drives: '12 ZL1 / '67 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
Post pics of your new ZL1.
Pesky iPad won't let me upload pics... Either that or user error. Will do when I get back to my laptop.
WILD67 is offline   Reply With Quote