Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #267
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_CATALYTIC View Post
No problem man, glad to help. We are about to get a whippled camaro from a friend of the companies owner so we can do some tests with it and develop the best product we can for you guys.
Nice. Ill keep an eye out. Glad to see someone step up to the plate and stand behind their product.
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #268
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
Nice. Ill keep an eye out. Glad to see someone step up to the plate and stand behind their product.
I'm actually on the phone with the owner right now lol, did the cats blow pre or post whipple?
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #269
cammed06

Drives: '09 G8 GXP A6
I have kooks cats, raise heck in my car, bought the catless connection pipes and put them on my shelf, just in case... No wait time if there is an issue... plus I plan on building another exhaust setup down the road starting there anyway...

1989 Turbo T/A / Mint / All original / 16K miles / FOR SALE
cammed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #270
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammed06 View Post
I have kooks cats, raise heck in my car, bought the catless connection pipes and put them on my shelf, just in case... No wait time if there is an issue... plus I plan on building another exhaust setup down the road starting there anyway...

If you'd like some new cats for your current setup or your future setup than I can definately hook you up man, just let me know. I hear there are alot of problems with kooks cats as well as SLP and stainless works.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #271
nyny69

Quote:
I'm actually on the phone with the owner right now lol, did the cats blow pre or post whipple?
After Whipple. September as a matter of fact. Blower installed February.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #272
PIC

Quote:
After Whipple. September as a matter of fact. Blower installed February.
OK cool thanks, sorry for all the questions. How long had you had your headers on before the whipple?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #273
nyny69

Quote:
OK cool thanks, sorry for all the questions. How long had you had your headers on before the whipple?
Probably about a year.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #274
PIC

Quote:
Probably about a year.
Awesome, I'll look into the situation as soon as I get to the shop tomorrow.
Would you be willing to put some prototype cats on your car for a study? Were only allowed to have this guys camaro for 2 days and we wont be able to test enough on it to get the best results.

We have a mini jet engine made from a semi turbo that were going to use to test heat durability on a new design. If it can hold up to that heat and that amount of thrust, it should be able to handle a whipple lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #275
nyny69

Quote:
Awesome, I'll look into the situation as soon as I get to the shop tomorrow.
Would you be willing to put some prototype cats on your car for a study? Were only allowed to have this guys camaro for 2 days and we wont be able to test enough on it to get the best results.

We have a mini jet engine made from a semi turbo that were going to use to test heat durability on a new design. If it can hold up to that heat and that amount of thrust, it should be able to handle a whipple lol.
Sure I'd love too.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #276
PIC

Quote:
Sure I'd love too.
Awesome, I'll keep you updated on our progress.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #277
nyny69

Quote:
Awesome, I'll keep you updated on our progress.
Thanks. I hope it works out either way.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #278
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
I've been running an Edelbrock Eforce, Thunder Racing V.3 camshaft and Vmax ported TB with exhaust manifolds and stock front cats with rear cats removed for about 3k miles. Since the car is making 585 rwhp with this setup and this thread has certainly decreased my comfort level, I removed the cats last week and installed JBA catless midpipes.

My inspection of the cats showed them to be undamaged and intact after approximately 3k miles of supercharged driving. I'd rather be safe than sorry and had the car inspected a week prior to removing the cats so I have almost 12 months before the next inspection.

As an added benefit, the car definitely has a more throaty, muscle car sound through the stock exhaust and mufflers after cat removal. Personally, I would like to retain the cats to ensure no problems with emission compliance but the increased potential for failure outweighed their retention and it isn't very difficult to swap them back in for a yearly inspection.

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #279
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
I've been running an Edelbrock Eforce, Thunder Racing V.3 camshaft and Vmax ported TB with exhaust manifolds and stock front cats with rear cats removed for about 3k miles. Since the car is making 585 rwhp with this setup and this thread has certainly decreased my comfort level, I removed the cats last week and installed JBA catless midpipes.

My inspection of the cats showed them to be undamaged and intact after approximately 3k miles of supercharged driving. I'd rather be safe than sorry and had the car inspected a week prior to removing the cats so I have almost 12 months before the next inspection.

As an added benefit, the car definitely has a more throaty, muscle car sound through the stock exhaust and mufflers after cat removal. Personally, I would like to retain the cats to ensure no problems with emission compliance but the increased potential for failure outweighed their retention and it isn't very difficult to swap them back in for a yearly inspection.
Factory Cat are Much more Robust and will withstand a lot more abuse that aftermarket cats.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #280
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Hey guys, I work for Performance Industries, we make the cats that ARH, Bassanni and Magnaflow use. I am the lead welder/fabricator. I was pointed to this thread by some camaro owners on LS1tech. I may be able to lend a hand here.

The only other manufacturer of high flow cats is Random Technologies that we are aware of, and they supply most of the other exhaust companies that we dont....yet.

Does anybody that has ARH ever had a problem with their cats? We've personally never heard anything from any of our clients so far about a cat failing, so if they have please tell me, I would love to hear what happened and if possible see pics or even have the failed cats sent back to us so we can improve our product.

Most pictures I see right now of failed cats are 300 CPI cores with no washcoating on them at all and it looks as if the nickel alloy brazing agent didnt hold up to the heat of the exhaust or maybe they werent even brazed to begin with from the manufacturer.

If anybody has any question or concerns, please let me know, I would love to help out here.
Cheers for stepping up to the plate.

You have any idea who supplies Dynatech? I have the Dynatech headers and CATS, we had to gut them.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote