Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #1149
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkittrell View Post
Gotch, I understood it wrong then, so is 5th and 6th going to feel flat then?
4th will get you over 100mph...so 5th and 6th are pretty much irrelevant. The only consideration to be made here is if and how you will be tracking (ie: legitimately racing) the car. If it's not going to see the track, it's a non issue.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #1150
dkittrell

Drives: 2SS
Initially no it won't see any track or strip. But once I get bored and the car isnt as new I will mod it and will see the strip after that.
dkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1151
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears. They are for fuel economy purposes. They should not be used for acceleration in the quarter.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1152
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:

They might "feel flat" compared to gears 1 thru 4, but 5th and 6th will feel the same in an SS and a 1LE. The overall ratios are pretty much the same in both cars. The only major difference will be that the ratio from 4th to 5th will be a little more noticeable in the 1LE, than it would be in an SS. If you were to drive both cars on a race track, the difference would be obvious. However, in normal, every-day driving, most people wouldn't notice a difference.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #1153
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
They might "feel flat" compared to gears 1 thru 4, but 5th and 6th will feel the same in an SS and a 1LE. The overall ratios are pretty much the same in both cars. The only major difference will be that the ratio from 4th to 5th will be a little more noticeable in the 1LE, than it would be in an SS. If you were to drive both cars on a race track, the difference would be obvious. However, in normal, every-day driving, most people wouldn't notice a difference.
This pretty much sums it up. The difference between first gear in a SS and 1LE is 100 rpm. So if you are traveling at x mph at 3000 rpm in a SS, then to travel at the same speed in a 1LE the engine will need to be spinning 3100 rpm.

Second gear between the two is exactly the same.

Third gear is about a 150 rpm difference.

Fourth gear is a 500 rpm difference which is the most significant.

60 rpm Difference in 5th and 6th gear for the 1LE compared to a SS (very minor).
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #1154
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
If you are correct, the 1/4 times may be slower than an SS. Looks like a shift to fourth will be almost guaranteed and depending on the driver, that will cost time. Of course the improved acceleration may help cover the difference. 3rd and 4th gear is a pretty substantial difference IMO. 3rd and 4th gear in a 1LE should pull a lot harder as you are more likely to stay in the power after a shift than the SS. I really want to see performance numbers now!!!
You bring up an interesting point. If they made 3rd gear a little taller, then you would think it would be better in the 1/4 and save you a shift. There are two possibilities. 1. It's a track car and not a drag car so that ratio works out better. 2. We are missing something. Those max speeds are based on the 6600 rpm redline. The hp peak on those motors is 5900 rpm. So maybe it does end up being faster. Time will tell.

If you decide to run a 285/40-20 on the rear instead of a 285/35-20 that would bring it up to 112. If you run a 315/35-20 (the tire will be less stretched on the rim too) then it will be 111.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #1155
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
You're going to have to be going "fast" to notice the improvement in 4th compared to the stock SS. On the street I doubt you'll notice it at all because you can't legally go at the speeds necessary to see the benefit of the 1LE's gearing from 3-4. 3rd is going to be slightly better coming out of a corner but 4th is really going to be usable; especially on tracks where you don't have enough room to get into 5th.

Although the ratios are similar in many ways to the SS I suspect the 1LE is going to respond much better to adding power. Get another 100 hp and torque to the rear wheels and the ratios in the 1LE are really going to sparkle.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1156
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You're going to have to be going "fast" to notice the improvement in 4th compared to the stock SS. On the street I doubt you'll notice it at all because you can't legally go at the speeds necessary to see the benefit of the 1LE's gearing from 3-4. 3rd is going to be slightly better coming out of a corner but 4th is really going to be usable; especially on tracks where you don't have enough room to get into 5th.

Although the ratios are similar in many ways to the SS I suspect the 1LE is going to respond much better to adding power. Get another 100 hp and torque to the rear wheels and the ratios in the 1LE are really going to sparkle.
To be honest I appreciate the time GM took to change the ratios on the 1LE in the transmission instead of just slapping a final drive ratio on there like the mustang. This allows it to preserve fuel economy and driveability on the street while delivering the advantages from lower gearing on the track. I think it's very nicely done.

The mustang, on the other hand, just slaps on a 3.73 final drive on already some really low gearing and that affects all the gears. It essentially makes first gear useless/redundant on the mustang.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #1157
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
1st gear in the mustang has always been super low------ going back to the eighties.
It makes a low rear end not that usable.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #1158
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
okay, a few extra hp from the exhaust and a few from the new rear end, not much to really compete, I was hoping for around 450 from the factory, this should be pretty easy to get from the LS3.

Either way I think I'm leaning very heavely towards buying one. I do like the looks better.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1159
mountsalami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
1LE appears to be a poor man's ZL1.
My brother has the brand new ZL1 and it's amazing.
I'll stick with my 2SS until they redesign the whole enchilada, as far as body style and engine.
Outside of the ZL1, Chevy is basically using the same car they made in 2010 with very little added of any significance and charging more for it.
I'm in the wait and see mode. I love my 2SS.
mountsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1160
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.

I too would rather have the gen 6 but i dont have the patience to wait. I will take this 1LE until the real Z28 returns after 2015 brings the gen 6.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1161
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.

I too would rather have the gen 6 but i dont have the patience to wait. I will take this 1LE until the real Z28 returns after 2015 brings the gen 6.

They've changed some very vital parts of the car to really get the most impact on performance. Sometimes, "less is more".
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1162
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
New one on me. Hadn't seen that.

Road course performance? Pretty close, imho. 1/4-mile? We'll see.

Of course an LS7 and a name change would adequately insure BOTH.
If the 1LE is for the track rats does it matter if the Boss 302 beats the 1LE in the quarter? It surely will. Bet on it.

A higher HP Z28 would only matter at the drags and for about 1% of all Camaro owners who could use all of it at the track.

And if I might add does it really matter?

If the 1LE holds up to its advance billing it will be the best "affordable" performance Camaro ever. It looks like right now just to buy the 1LE wheels and tires you could spend $3K. Time will tell.

I would be happy to have a Boss 302 or a 1LE in my garage. The 1LE however is a much better deal.

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?