Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Can some one post up a pic of the L99 resonators, now removing these for an x-pipe should surely free up some of the flow.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #30
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Nope......and not mine
Umm yes you do..if you have an ls3 you have a resonator. You had an h pipe and a resonator. They didn't forget yours and put em on everyone else's.......
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #31
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
its the idea of a cat back that i like. you have to cut and weld if you dont go cat back route, and want the cat back performance. also i feel they sound better.
Welding is not true, I just installed a Flowmaster outlaw axle back and no welding..........
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Umm yes you do..if you have an ls3 you have a resonator. You had an h pipe and a resonator. They didn't forget yours and put em on everyone else's.......
Truth, just saw the setup today when they were installing my Super 44's
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Umm, never said I didnt have an H pipe
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #34
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Bah! Tomato tamato. If you call those straight through nothing in the way thingys resonators........then I guess the we all better get rid of those restictive fuel filters.
Just because there is nothing inside them does not mean they aren't restrictive. The resonators have a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the exhaust. Imagine air going through a 2.5" tube at a certain velocity. As the air travels it will retain its speed up to a certain distance if the tubing stays the same size and the engine maintains the same RPM. So the air is going through the tube and at some point the diameter in the tube increases and then returns to normal. This increase in diameter would cause a decrease in velocity of the volume of air traveling through at that point. That sudden decrease in speed would further restrict the air flow all the way back. Then when the tube returns to 2.5" diameter the volume of air that was slowed will have to push the air in front of it and it will have to rely on the air behind it to push itself out thus causing more restriction and slowing of the volume of air in front of the diameter increase. This all decreases engine efficiency and power. Which is why aftermarket exhausts do increase performance. Not to mention that aftermarket exhausts are usually more consistent in diameter and have smoother bends...all of which relates to better performance. How much performance varies.

Remember, these resonators were placed on these cars for a specific reason. GM didn't just put them there for the heck of it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Just because there is nothing inside them does not mean they aren't restrictive. The resonators have a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the exhaust. Imagine air going through a 2.5" tube at a certain velocity. As the air travels it will retain its speed up to a certain distance if the tubing stays the same size and the engine maintains the same RPM. So the air is going through the tube and at some point the diameter in the tube increases and then returns to normal. This increase in diameter would cause a decrease in velocity of the volume of air traveling through at that point. That sudden decrease in speed would further restrict the air flow all the way back. Then when the tube returns to 2.5" diameter the volume of air that was slowed will have to push the air in front of it and it will have to rely on the air behind it to push itself out thus causing more restriction and slowing of the volume of air in front of the diameter increase. This all decreases engine efficiency and power. Which is why aftermarket exhausts do increase performance. Not to mention that aftermarket exhausts are usually more consistent in diameter and have smoother bends...all of which relates to better performance. How much performance varies.

Remember, these resonators were placed on these cars for a specific reason. GM didn't just put them there for the heck of it.

No.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #36
BluegraSS

Drives: 2012 Victory Red SS/RS
L99 Resonator

Bottom View

Top view

BluegraSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
No.
I'm all ears then...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Umm, never said I didnt have an H pipe
Nope you said you didn't have a resonator , therefore you either: removed it, bought it used and the previous owner removed it or the most likely scenario, YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT......

Chances are its the latter.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
Cody6.2

Quote:
I'm all ears then...
Take a look inside the factory resonators, that is all.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Take a look inside the factory resonators, that is all.
An engine is a pump, and the air it pumps has to flow through exhaust tubes. The flow can be altered based on the size and shape of the tubing. Any change in size or shape that affects flow can also affect engine performance. Resonators are put in place to control the sound of the exhaust and I believe drone, from what I understand. In doing so it also hinders performance.

Now are you suggesting that the diameter on the inside of the exhaust resonator of the LS3 is the same as the rest of the exhaust piping? I haven't looked inside it or cut one open. And being as how I don't have access to one I have no way of looking inside it. But again, I'm all ears...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
Cody6.2

Quote:
An engine is a pump, and the air it pumps has to flow through exhaust tubes. The flow can be altered based on the size and shape of the tubing. Any change in size or shape that affects flow can also affect engine performance. Resonators are put in place to control the sound of the exhaust and I believe drone, from what I understand. In doing so it also hinders performance.

Now are you suggesting that the diameter on the inside of the exhaust resonator of the LS3 is the same as the rest of the exhaust piping? I haven't looked inside it or cut one open. And being as how I don't have access to one I have no way of looking inside it. But again, I'm all ears...

First of quit talking like were stupid, second quit writing book length responses when a single paragraph will do. There is a difference between flow direction and sound deflection/absobtion/cancelation and one may not affect the other. Continuing to say that a perf. tube muffler or resonator is restrictive is silly.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #42
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Maybe I've just missed a lot, having dealt with the parts of my exhaust I care about.. but.. I thought it had been decided that mid-sections on the LS3 Camaros had very little if any power held up in them and that even the OE Mufflers weren't all that restrictive and pretty much granted you different sound and less weight.

When did that change? I thought it was headers + cats that gave you the power changes, followed by stepping up the pipe size (for big builds)
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote