Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: If you're ordering a Z/28, what percentage of it's usage will be on-track?
Zero 46 44.23%
0 to 20% 25 24.04%
20 to 40% 10 9.62%
40 to 60% 4 3.85%
60 to 80% 9 8.65%
80 to 100% 10 9.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So, I will be the odd one here. I would buy one and hold on to it (a few cruise weekends here and there but no track).

My reason: I have a strong feeling that we are in a very short window of a muscle car renaissance. With the CAFE standards coming in a couple years and GM stating this is going to be a limited production run Camaro, this may be a car worth having a 4-5 years when the only thing you can get in a Camaro is a turbo 6cyl that looks like it belongs in a Toyota.

If the COPO would have been street legal (and they made a few more than 69 of them) I would have been in line for that for the same reason. Cars are most always a horrible investment but this one MIGHT be different.
very good call on the short window for REAL PERFORMANCE..........many dont see it coming, or rather refuse to look at it...thats likely why GM is throwing everything out on the market but the kitchen sink...since i have the zl1 i wont bother trading in to a z28, but if i didnt have one i would sure snag something..........unless your ok in the future with 6's, 4's and 10 speed trannys
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
Great web page Forty5th, I enjoyed the vids!
It is interesting that the SS 1LE has better track times than the Boss302 despite a higher power to weight ratio.
The sound of 5.0 at 7500-rpm however does much to add to the fun factor of the Boss package.
Mkorgen, your strong feelings will be fact, even now prices for v-8 muscle cars are intentionally high in order to limit supply to allow more econo boxes to be sold to keep up corporate fuel average.
To me cars are tools to be used (to get from point A to point B) or to have fun in (muscle cars).
It would be my choice to take an extra 20% hit on resale for a high track mile car.
Besides fellow club racers would find it a great deal since very few will actually push the envelope on the likes of a ZL1 or Z28 (having dry sump and superior brakes makes all the difference in wear and tear)
Money, you can't take it with you, enjoy it and die broke.
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
^ Thanks! I love all these types of muscle/pony cars for what they are... not necessarily who's faster than what, etc. I used to have two GTOs back in the day and there are/will always be faster & more powerful ones than even the mighty goat... fast forward to today and the SS, 1LE, ZL1, Z/28, and even the LFX will give all the classic muclecars a run for their money. Our technology and advancement nowdays are hands down worth it, IMO, especailly safety wise. And I'm glad GM gives us plenty of choices through their performance cars spectrum.

BTW, on Chevrolet's site... there's this footnote:

"PREPARE FOR DEPARTURE
Chevrolet surprised the world and introduced this ground-shaking vision of American performance, available Fall 2014."
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
If I get one I will track the hell out of it. Atlanta motorsports park and barbar are just about 3 hours away so my weekends will be full of fun
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
...I have a strong feeling that we are in a very short window of a muscle car renaissance. With the CAFE standards coming in a couple years and GM stating this is going to be a limited production run Camaro, this may be a car worth having a 4-5 years when the only thing you can get in a Camaro is a turbo 6cyl that looks like it belongs in a Toyota...
You are correct on this. Big block, large displacement, naturally aspirated engines are dinosaurs. Sad, but true. The impending regulations, which will only get worse, mean that manufacturers will only be able to sell small numbers of increasingly specialized (read: expensive) versions of these cars down the road. I'm not happy with that, but those are the facts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho928 View Post
...Besides fellow club racers would find it a great deal since very few will actually push the envelope on the likes of a ZL1 or Z28 (having dry sump and superior brakes makes all the difference in wear and tear)
Money, you can't take it with you, enjoy it and die broke.
One reason I'm doing more track driving -- and wanting a Z/28 to greatly increase my track time even further -- is because I recently lost a friend to pancreatic cancer. Sorry, I'm not mentioning that to sound morose, but we don't have long on this Great Blue Marble. Best to enjoy it to the max, and I no longer have any use for a Garage Queen. If I wear my Z/28 out and its resale value decreases, have I lost money? Hell, no! How do you put a value on the joy you get from using a car like this at it's limit, on the track?!?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
camarosss

Drives: Berger80,02CPE,67SSRS, 12 ZL1 #1342
No tracking here, I'm one for preserving and keep it pristine as possible. My ZL1 has 18 miles on it and only had 17 when I bought it. I get the first Z/28 coming to my dealer.

1967 RS/SS 468 18s/20s
2002 Berger #80
2002 SS A4 RED/BLK 19s
2002 Tahoe Z71 BLK 23s For Sale
2009 Tahoe LTZ BLK 26s
2012 ZL1 #1342
2014 Z/28 #225
camarosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
Ya if I bought one I would track it. Not going to buy one inless it was less than a zl1. Would rather build a 2ss and be faster for that much money.
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
No tracking here, I'm one for preserving and keep it pristine as possible. My ZL1 has 18 miles on it and only had 17 when I bought it. I get the first Z/28 coming to my dealer.
Life is too short to let rides sit and collect dust. :(
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Great blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
You are correct on this. Big block, large displacement, naturally aspirated engines are dinosaurs. Sad, but true. The impending regulations, which will only get worse, mean that manufacturers will only be able to sell small numbers of increasingly specialized (read: expensive) versions of these cars down the road. I'm not happy with that, but those are the facts...

One reason I'm doing more track driving -- and wanting a Z/28 to greatly increase my track time even further -- is because I recently lost a friend to pancreatic cancer. Sorry, I'm not mentioning that to sound morose, but we don't have long on this Great Blue Marble. Best to enjoy it to the max, and I no longer have any use for a Garage Queen. If I wear my Z/28 out and its resale value decreases, have I lost money? Hell, no! How do you put a value on the joy you get from using a car like this at it's limit, on the track?!?
Not to mention recent disasters that's been occurring lately, several friends including my father lost garage queens . All the years of pampering and 1 terrible day u lose it all . Live today cause tomorrow ain't promised
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Life is too short to let rides sit and collect dust. :(

AMEN!!!!
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
chilihed

Drives: 2010 Hendrick Modified SS #015
I'm #2 on the list at my dealer. Probably won't track it. I agree with the post above about being in a limited window for very high performance American muscle.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
ssr2003

Drives: 2010 toyota tacoma
I called 2 dealers in New Jersey and they had no information and would not take a deposit. I will try a few more dealers late this afternoon....
ssr2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Interesting numbers, so far. 50/50 on the track/no track choice. I would never have guessed that half of potential Z/28 owners would never drive the car on track. Wonder how this will carry through to actual buyers?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
If I get 1, HELL YES, TAKE IT TO THE TRACK! Have almost 80,000 on mine now. Best miles on OD were driving to, on, and home from track with great friends. If you have enough money for a garage queen, buy 2 and enjoy atleast 1 of them....