Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #141
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Ok... haven't read the entire thread word for word... so I'm sorry if I missed it... But what gear did you do the pull in? I'm strapping the car down on Saturday to get some good base line numbers and was curious what gear you used????

My understanding is typically you do your pulls in the gear that is closest to 1:1... Looking at the automatic I'm thinking 4th gear at 1.16... but the speed at redline is like 158MPH! think that's actually ABOVE the speed limiter? So I think i would feel better doing the pull in 3rd but that's 1.55... which may not produce the best results..... OK.. but now something just clicked... Just had a light bulb... Car goes through the traps in 3rd... so do the pull in 3rd... who cares what the numbers are as long as I'm consistent with my pulls, so I can show improvements!!! Ok... that's solved..

Other is a comment... After doing some research and talking with a few very experienced tuners.... it seems we need to change our way of thinking about A/F... apparently while you and I might think the car is pig rich at 11.6, in fact the A/F is really correct and is there by design! I brought up the fact that I thought the 11 AF was crazy fat and he explained that every time they've tried to lean things out a bit the cars end up pinging..... my other engineer friend explained that to get the high CR, you need to run the car a lot richer at WOT... hence the 11.6.... this is just what I'm finding in my "research"

Looking forward to Saturdays dyno session... will post up results!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #142
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Drives: 95 vette,07gxp,02wrx,slazer,
Send a message via AIM to Baldturbofreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpick View Post
This.

With out overextending too much the DI means that you're not taking air and fuel on the intake stroke. It's just air. So carbs are like air/fuel mixing centers port injection is shooting atomized fuel with the air and compressing it all on the compression stroke.

Fuel is a liquid and can't be compressed as much as air. So with direct injection. You have nothing but air being compressed and as the air is compressed you have all that pressure in the chamber and THEN the fuel is injected and ignited.

Compression needs to be payed attention to, but it's not as important on carb or port injection methods. Which is why you can run such a high compression. It's all air being compressed. The only thing you really need to worry about is can the internals handle all the energy happening in the combustion chamber.

Well sorta. IN only a few operating conditions does it use statified lean combustion.
When you put you pedal to the metal,The DI system will still inject fuel during the intake event to promote a homgenous charge. The benefit of the DI is the very fine droplet size + spray that is directly in the chamber consumes many BTU's durign vaporization.
THis is what allows high static CR and also a great deal of boost.

In the LNF camp we experiance a propagtion phenomenon when we start moving past 40lbs/min and most importantly 5800rpm. THis is when the window to inject during the intake stroke becomes too small. The system, which is shooting for a specific AFR, is then injecting on the compression stroke. This wets the walls and piston crown with fuel, you see a large 25%+ drop in torque and the exhuast looks like a duramax.
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #143
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Drives: 95 vette,07gxp,02wrx,slazer,
Send a message via AIM to Baldturbofreak
Just as a FYI, the LNF engines run at around .86lamda from the factory under 20+ psi.

That's around 12.6 afr.
When they are below 3500rpm they are programmed to run about 13.1-1 afr. Factory.

I assume the rich afr on the V6 is to cover their arse on the 87 octane.
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #144
Detroittigers

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
What can I do myself that is cheap and will increase my hp?
Detroittigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #145
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroittigers View Post
Buy alot of stickers!!
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #146
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroittigers View Post
You can do this mod for about $30...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43367
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote