Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Girlfriend left wallet at restaurant with substantial amount of money..

So, I need some input from the C5 crew...

My girlfriend and I went out to eat last night at a sushi bar. We were 1 of about 3 tables left towards the end of the night. They closed at 10PM, we left around 950PM. After driving home, before we even pulled up my girlfriend realized her purse was missing, and said she forgot it on the chair (clutch purse) at the restaurant. We spin around, make it back to the restaurant around 1025-1030. Completely closed. Checked front, side, back. All shut down. We had 911 send an officer out to 'see what he could do', but alas he said "nothing you can do except call back tomorrow or come down and ask if someone found it."

...There were bank cards, close to about $1000 in the purse (she was depositing it the next day, she's a sever herself) - anyway - we need to know our options. We know it's at the restaurant, as we were nowhere else. Camaro was searched top to bottom.

My plan of action is to return there at 830/9AM (they open at 11AM) as my girlfriend says most restaurants 'open' early to prep food, but only to employees. I plan on going and just asking politely if they found it, if they have it just check the money situation etc.

Here's my question(s)...

If the restaurant decides to play games (they are asian, spoke broken english) what is the -best- course of action? The officer said call the police again and file a theft report. Can we ask to see camera footage if they have it? My girlfriend is going to be devastated if her money was stolen, and we need to approach this the best way possible.

Let's hear it..
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul

Last edited by BreakingBad; 09-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Ya I have a question, what does being Asian and they speak broken English have to do with your situation?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Unfortunately...the purse was NOT stolen...it was lost by your girlfriend...and there is a difference. So there's no way the police will do anything for you or arrest anyone...nor do you have any right to any camera footage...if it even exists because no crime was committed. Her only hope is that someone honest found it and is willing to return it...otherwise she's screwed.

Your best approach is the go to the restaurant in the morning...but don't ask if they found it...because that says "it was lost." Tell them that she left her purse at the table just before closing time last night, since they were closed when you returned, you filed a police because the purse contained a large sum of money and you are there now to collect the purse.

Here's the reason for my recommendation: I left my wallet at the cash register at Target on Christmas eve last year right before closing. When I called the day after Christmas...I was told it had not been found or turned in. But I knew I left it there so I returned to the store with my receipt and told them I was at register (whatever) at a specific time and was checked out by employee (whoever) and I left my wallet sitting on the counter and I was there to collect it. A few minutes later my wallet was miraculously found and returned to me with none of the contents missing.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Unfortunately...the purse was NOT stolen...it was lost by your girlfriend...and there is a difference. So there's no way the police will do anything for you or arrest anyone...nor do you have any right to any camera footage...if it even exists because no crime was committed. Her only hope is that someone honest found it and is willing to return it...otherwise she's screwed.
In some states, finding a wallet or purse and not turning it in, is considered a lowered level of larceny. You can look up on google about cops playing a trick where they will leave a wallet or purse on the sidewalk waiting for someone to pick it up and then arrest them for it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
If they deny seeing it you'll likely be out of luck as it’s going to be your word against theirs. Also you are assuming one of the employees found it, could have been another guest who picked it up and waled out.

As for any camera, not likely they'll be willing to turn that over without a warrant, I know if I were a business owner I wouldn't without one.

Hopefully they found it and all goes well and you'll get the purse back. Good luck!

Last edited by nyrfan; 09-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Ya I have a question, what does being Asian and they speak broken English have to do with your situation?
Easy answer. The fact that they are Asian, they are honest people. OP, you have no worries. She left her purse with the right people.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Keep us updated, OP. Hopefully there's some good people left in this world.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Easy answer. The fact that they are Asian, they are honest people. OP, you have no worries. She left her purse with the right people.
I was with you every word but then you put the in there. Not sure what you meant with that.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Didn't mean anything by it. Just laughing.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
did you recover the wallet?

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 09-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Didn't mean anything by it. Just laughing.

So it's 7:30 CST. Are you waiting outside the restaurant yet? Hoping this works out for your GF.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
xkvator

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels SS 2013 IOM 2LS
hope things turn out ok...
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
update:

so the place opened at 11AM the following day, and we showed up at 930. my girl had said most places do open a bit earlier to prep food, clean up etc before customers start to arrive, so our thought process was to catch whoever opens (the manager) to see if it was found.

we sat there for a half hour, nobody showed - finally people started showing up...some waitresses, mostly cooks - a van rolls up and about 9 mexicans hop out and when I ask who the manager was, their collective response was "yames" (james)

we ask a few more people who the manager was, where they were at, nobody could interpret what we were saying - majority of them were just cooks. finally an asian girl walks in (ironically speaking perfect english, unlike the cooks) and i ask her about the manager and she points to this car driving by, which was this dude eyeballing my car...I walk up and ask if he's the manager and his response was "Is this your car?" and I was caught off guard because my mind wasn't on the car, but rather the hundreds of dollars my girl might be out...so I say "yeah..." and he says "nice car very very nice!" so I thank him and quickly explain we have to check lost/found for my girl's purse. he says he was not in yesterday, but to follow him in and he'll check.

we walk in, he goes to the cash register, looks around, reads some post-it notes...then he bursts out "AH HA!" and there's her purse! every dollar still in it, every bank card, etc. we breath a huge sigh of relief, tell him thank you/we'll be back etc. this would of been a huge impact on us financially, so thank god our waitress (who i'm assuming found it, as the waitresses were also bussing) was honest enough to turn it in - goes to show that mutual respect and kindness (thank yous, tipping well, etc) can truly pay off!

“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
A huge happy ending...and fyi...just because the people may be a different nationality/race, it really has no impact on their honesty. Most people who work for a living are honest people, like the cooks and servers in a restaurant, and most would not want something like that to happen to them either.

It's the GOVERNMENT you have to worry about! LOL!!