Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
This is what I used. No sanding or priming neccessary. The sunrise red is a perfect match for our VR
Just wash your part with a little dishwashing liquid to degrease and let dry COMPLETELY. Bought from Home Depot. $5 Also got the nuts and bolts there too.
Attached Images

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by firengnred View Post
This is what I used. No sanding or priming neccessary. The sunrise red is a perfect match for our VR
Just wash your part with a little dishwashing liquid to degrease and let dry COMPLETELY. Bought from Home Depot. $5 Also got the nuts and bolts there too.

Thanks! I'll go look for some.

I've got a CAI coming in next week. Once thats on and squared away I'm going to work on my cover.

I'm going to do mine very similar to yours but I think I'm going to do the cut out to give under the cover some room to breath. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=engine+cover
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
firengnred

Those look awesome too

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!

Drives: Awesome
I pulled mine off last night and am getting ready to start modifying it... not looking forward to all of the masking off as I am a perfectionist. You did a great job!
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Nice Job!!!
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by firengnred View Post
Got my paint tonight. I might start the mod this week.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #21
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
VERY nice job..

If I did it there would be runs everywhere...LOL
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
firengnred

Quote:
If I did it there would be runs everywhere...LOL
Wet sandpaper is your friend

Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #23
firengnred

Quote:
Got my paint tonight. I might start the mod this week.
Post pics when done!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #24
Imjaybird

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Did my own IOM. Used paint from Auto touch up .com. May add fasteners later.

Nice job on yours.
Attached Images

$IMJAYBIRD$
Imjaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #25
caverman

I'M ABOUT TO PULL MY F@#KING HAIR OUT!!!!!

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing wrong. I can not get this engine cover painted without it cracking!

I'm using the Rustoleum Plastic paint as suggested. The first time I sprayed it came out almost perfect. There were a couple minor spects/dirt in it. So my friend talked me into lightly sanding and re-spraying. I sanded a couple pieces out and let it sit overnight. In the morning I re-sprayed and it did this cracking you see in a couple spots. So, I sanded out most of the cracking and let is sit over night again. Spayed it the next afternoon when it was about 65 outside. I got some cracking again. Re-sanded....waited overnight....resprayed. This time it didn't crack. Waited several hours or so and sprayed some clear over it. On one side it immediately cracked. Other side is fine. I re-sand (can't get all the cracking out but got most of it)....re-spray....all is good. I let it sit overnight and then this morning I let it sit out in the sun for a good 3+ hrs. Bring it in let it cool down for about 30 mins. Re-spray the clear and it freakin starts immediately cracking. I'm done now....I've lost the battle. Have no idea what to do. Guess I should take it to a professional paint shop????? That's going to cost me about $100 just to get it painted. Then I have another $50 worth of vinyl to put on.

BTW: I've been wiping it down with the stuff I use to clean my granite. It's a mix of 70% water, 30% alcohol, and a couple drops of dish soap. I wouldn't think this would cause the problem but maybe it is???

Anyone have any suggestions????

Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Axtion

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Well 2 days and its done. Never spent this much time doing something like this. I always thought it's easier to buy. There are a couple blemishes and missed a little in the creases but hard to notice and I am happy with it. Thanks for the tip on the paint and the hardware.
Attached Images

Axtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Nice work!!

And you saved all that money that people paid for this!

LMAO,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
firengnred

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions????
2 suggestions......

1. Re-sand and wipe down with water with a litle dishwashing liquid ONLY, and let dry 24hrs. Helps if you have a compressor to blow off as much water as you can, but not required.

2. No clear coat. As this paint is designed for plastic, it does not appear to play well with clear coat.

I just tried doing my fuse box cover and the same thing happened when I shot the clear coat on it. Was going to clear coat the engine cover after I finished the fuse box cover. Glad I did the fuse box cover first.