Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #981
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The ZL1 is an awesome all round automobile. The 1LE is a bit more focused. Because the 1LE is lighter in weight, it requires less HP to get around a track. Less weight makes things work better on a road course. 305/30/19s work better on the 1LE because they have less weight working them.

If you want to casually run HPDE events, the 1LE and the ZL1 are close to track ready. Both benefit from upgrades in brake fluid and pads, but the casual HPDE driver can run them pretty much off the showroom floor. The more aggressive you are behind the wheel the more you will need to upgrade your Camaro.

Both cars will respond well to the JPSS Black Magic Rear Sway bar. The bigger rear bar will loosen the car, make it more neutral and easier to drive fast. Adding JPSS Black Magic Caster locks increase caster by 1 degree. This also frees up the car and brings the steering wheel back on center more quickly. JPSS Black Magic Billet Radius Arm Bushings reduce dynamic caster change and improve the on center steering wheel feel. These are the track essentials for both cars.

As you are able to run harder and faster the next barrier in performance will be engine coolant and oil temperatures. We have developed a highly effective oil cooler system based on a huge Fluidyne cooler. It requires modification of the front bumper bar, welding, brackets and of course plumbing. The massive Fluidyne well installed keeps oil temp under 290 degrees. With the lower oil temps coolant temps are proportionately lower. As you build more HP you also build heat. C&R Racing has an off the shelf radiator that is a direct OE replacement that works well for higher HP builds.

As we move up the ladder with driver skill and HP more suspension modifications are required. We really like the Z/28 coil rates. We like the 1LE / Z/28 Light setup and the ZL1 / Z/28 Light setup. Using Z/28 coils on the ZL1 or 1LE may not follow the book for perfect damping, but the results are excellent on track.

We would welcome you build i our shop in stages or we can work with you as you build your own Camaro in your home shop. Your email did not come through. What email did you send it too?
Thank you very much for the well thought out reply. As always great advise! I sent it to info@jpssonline.com I have it saved if you would like me to resend it.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #982
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
I just resent it to the same address. Let me know if you receive it.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #983
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #984
JusticePete

We have tested and revised the front blade a few times. The newest photos show what we call Version 2. Version 3 will be 2 full inches wider with integrated front wheel well canards to cover 315/30/19 on our GA3R JPSS offset wheels.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #985
JusticePete

Didn't make it on the trailer, but it made it home to SSsoon. 166.4 miles through the mountains and hills of Virginia.

Oops... Race Ramps on the way.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #986
Synner

Drives: cars
Well after a year overseas I was finally able to troubleshoot my front suspension problems after going off track last year. I pulled the wheel and everything kept looking fine which was driving me nuts, alignment was fine, arms were fine and not bent. There was a horrific clunk while driving and the wheel was contacting the coilover. Nothing bent or out of sorts. Finally put it on ramps and my coilover had a 30 degree bend when weighted by the car. Externally the unit and shaft look fine up until its supporting the vehicles weight. Temporarily threw a stock strut back on so I can move next week.

So the gameplan:
- Send it off for repair and a new spring and then sell the set.
- Upgrade sways (black magic) to the newer style.
- Swap out the current BC ER's for the newer version with track valving
*Thoughts on spring rates?*

I've considered the DSSV struts but they wouldn't play with my pedders camber plates so I'm going to stick with what I've had good luck with and minimize costs. All I have to do is move across country and have my tools arrive/unpacked and I can begin the work/ordering.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #987
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Well after a year overseas I was finally able to troubleshoot my front suspension problems after going off track last year. I pulled the wheel and everything kept looking fine which was driving me nuts, alignment was fine, arms were fine and not bent. There was a horrific clunk while driving and the wheel was contacting the coilover. Nothing bent or out of sorts. Finally put it on ramps and my coilover had a 30 degree bend when weighted by the car. Externally the unit and shaft look fine up until its supporting the vehicles weight. Temporarily threw a stock strut back on so I can move next week.

So the gameplan:
- Send it off for repair and a new spring and then sell the set.
- Upgrade sways (black magic) to the newer style.
- Swap out the current BC ER's for the newer version with track valving
*Thoughts on spring rates?*

I've considered the DSSV struts but they wouldn't play with my pedders camber plates so I'm going to stick with what I've had good luck with and minimize costs. All I have to do is move across country and have my tools arrive/unpacked and I can begin the work/ordering.
The valving in the DSSVs is arguably the best there is. If you want to go that way send me your front spring seat and the standoff that goes in it. I'll make you an OE compatible set of pieces. It all depends what you really want. I have SSoon's Camaro sitting at 640mm ride heights all a round on the DSSV struts and coils.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #988
Synner

I'll have to do some pricing. I know its still hard to get the struts by themselves and I don't need the total package.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #989
JusticePete

Quote:
I'll have to do some pricing. I know its still hard to get the struts by themselves and I don't need the total package.
I get better pricing on the complete package, just like everyone else.

How many miles are on your Camaro?
Did we replace all the bushings?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #990
Synner

Do I need any other Z/28 unique parts aside from the 4 units? I have 1LE rear upper mounts right now.

I'm getting the new sways and lower arms regardless.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #991
Synner

Yup everythings been replaced, 6,500 miles mostly track. I'll be adding 1,200 miles next week.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #992
JusticePete

Quote:
Do I need any other Z/28 unique parts aside from the 4 units? I have 1LE rear upper mounts right now.

I'm getting the new sways and lower arms regardless.
The upper rear outer bushing from the Z/28 is the best part available. The toe links with sealed monoballs are excellent.

Depending on your mileage, the front control arms could be a plus.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #993
JusticePete

Quote:
Yup everythings been replaced, 6,500 miles mostly track. I'll be adding 1,200 miles next week.
Do you have radius arm inserts of full bushings?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #994
Synner

Your full bushings.