Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #8821
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Anyone here do Long Range rifle? Either LR Military matches, or Tactical.

We do an informal LR steel shoot at my Club in Great Falls, MT each Wednesday and some more formal matches monthly. We had one this morning. Three shots at a 12 x 12 inch steel plate, at 675, 775, 900, 975, 1100, 1245 and 1420 yards.

Without sighters and with the variable 12-24 mph winds...it was a very TOUGH day.

I happily was the RSO this morning, so had a good excuse NOT to participate. LOL.

Our targets are on the small berms downrange and up on the distant hills.

FN in MT
Very cool! Here in Florida hard to get past 300 yards. I have a friend who I am helping to clear some land and make a 1000 yard range. Just got 3 bullet dummies to add this weekend for $700. Supposedly will take 10,000 rounds but I told him for $700 I would rather shoot steel around the dummies! haha
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #8822
drivingagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
And it has nothing to do with the fact that a couple months earlier he accidentally shot one of his students in the chest during one of his training exercises which he was later charged and convicted of and served jail time. North Carolina has also revoked his trainer license because he's repeatedly put his students lives in danger.
This is amazing. Accidently shot one of his students in the chest and still has a website saying he the trainer to see! haha
Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #8823
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
This is amazing. Accidently shot one of his students in the chest and still has a website saying he the trainer to see! haha
What's stupid is he still has people posting on his facebook page asking about when his next class is.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #8824
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Very cool! Here in Florida hard to get past 300 yards. I have a friend who I am helping to clear some land and make a 1000 yard range. Just got 3 bullet dummies to add this weekend for $700. Supposedly will take 10,000 rounds but I told him for $700 I would rather shoot steel around the dummies! haha
I'm assuming you are talking about targets?

For high powered rifles, you need a minimum or 1/2" aR500 rated, plate. Have them water jet cut, NOT by torch.

Impact velocity, bullet design and allowing plates to swing freely ALL impact longevity. Stay away from hi velocity magnums, shooting solid copper bullets. UNLESS the plates are at 300+ yds. 400-500 even better.

We hang plates by conveyor belting. It's self repairing and can take many hundreds of rds before failing. Chains, welding stuff onto plates....forget it.

If you can angle the plates a bit, even 10 degrees...you help longevity.

Take a look at MGM, Mike Grand manufacturing for high quality targets.

Another good one is JC Steel.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #8825
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Do you bolt the belt to the plate? I tried grade 8 bolts and chain. Grade 8 was a waste, high speed lead shears it clean. Same with chain.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #8826
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
If you weld an angle or even just a tab to the upper back side (but not at the top) and bolt to that you shouldn't ever be able to hit the bolt unless you were to catch it with the plate in mid-swing. Plus, the weight of the plate will naturally make it angle itself downward.

Norm
Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #8827
Frank237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Do you bolt the belt to the plate? I tried grade 8 bolts and chain. Grade 8 was a waste, high speed lead shears it clean. Same with chain.
For the Club steel....We have our water jet guy cut us a pair of 1" holes in the upper corners on the big plates, and a single 1" on small plates, top, center. Allows us to use LARGE bolts, that get chewed up, but last. We use 1/2" conveyor belting cut 6-12 inches wide. Punch holes to match you plate on both ends. Loop over the crossmember on our frames, bolt together. We use punches with the belting on a board and a 3 pound sledge to make the holes with the punch.

Welding to AR500 will anneal it , allowing impacts in the weld area to make dents. Once the dents start, the plate gets chewed up more and more.

For my plates we use here on the Ranch....I have used 5/8" grade 8 bolts and they work fine. For the plates at 800 to 1K yds I used some old 3/8" AR500 from the pistol range....and they have lasted just fine.Then again...NO one here is TRYING to hit a bolt, or trying to destroy the plates like at the Club Range. We had idiots shooting steel at 25 yds or less.....HOPING to put a hole or dent in it. Thats what we fight at the Club.

For personal use welding a tab on the back, etc. May work fine over the long haul. It doesn't ,when subjected to dozens of impacts on a daily basis. The tabs are actually a good idea especially if they allow the plate to be angled a bit. The angle really helps to save the plates.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #8828
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
I'd bet you could weld any tabs only at the outer edges of the plate and have minimal issues with annealing for the vast majority of 'hits'. But make any person who insists on intentionally shooting at the weld areas buy the next plate.

Norm
Old 06-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #8829
Frank237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'd bet you could weld any tabs only at the outer edges of the plate and have minimal issues with annealing for the vast majority of 'hits'. But make any person who insists on intentionally shooting at the weld areas buy the next plate.

Norm
Tough to do as we never seem to catch these assholes. We had a shoot and I added a 5" square, 3/8" AR500 as a harder target, basically a 1/2 moa target at 250 yds. Here's what I found after 3 days when I returned to retrieve and repair stuff.....

The welded tab idea, as well as angling the plate, would probably work fine in limited use. You and a few buddies.

I get years and years out of plates here at home , as I don't abuse them. NO hi velocity impacts, no copper solids or GI AP, etc.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #8830
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
What about water jet cutting the top corners and bending them back far enough that they point down to the rear of the plate? Then bolt onto that. That way you're not welding (though bending it would take quite a bit) and the bolts would be protected.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #8831
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Tough to do as we never seem to catch these assholes. We had a shoot and I added a 5" square, 3/8" AR500 as a harder target, basically a 1/2 moa target at 250 yds. Here's what I found after 3 days when I returned to retrieve and repair stuff.....

The welded tab idea, as well as angling the plate, would probably work fine in limited use. You and a few buddies.

I get years and years out of plates here at home , as I don't abuse them. NO hi velocity impacts, no copper solids or GI AP, etc.
AR500 1/2" will hold up to .50 all day long. They probably thought it was real cute shooting AP at someone elses steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
What about water jet cutting the top corners and bending them back far enough that they point down to the rear of the plate? Then bolt onto that. That way you're not welding (though bending it would take quite a bit) and the bolts would be protected.
Using a spacer on the back side and mounting chain or belt back away from the steel will tilt it, It'll take a pretty big hoss and anvil to bend 1/2" AR500 and still may weaken it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #8832
Frank237

It's not .50 AP. It's apparent from the other Ranges when someone is shooting a fifty. Usually other shooters will check to see what they are using for ammo.

You are right that angling the plates helps, it surely does.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #8833
drivingagain

Speaking of targets Have been eyeing this one. Wish they just sold the top part. I could supply my own angle iron for the legs and save on shipping too.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #8834
Mr Twisty

Quote:
It's not .50 AP. It's apparent from the other Ranges when someone is shooting a fifty. Usually other shooters will check to see what they are using for ammo.

You are right that angling the plates helps, it surely does.
I have no idea the cal. But that damage is definitely from ap ammo. Folks want to shoot ap they can bring their own steel. AR500 is expensive!

One of these days is like to build a Texas star

Tags
camaro gun