Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2LT/RS
Programming new Key Fob

Just this weekend I purchased a 2011 2LT and it came with 2 keys and 1 Fob. I want to order a 2nd Fob to have 2. All the programming videos and instructions I have seen are from before the recall.

How do you program a new Fob to the car post recall?

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CCSB D/A
I cannot offer much advice but I ordered a keyfob from an online source and I ended up having to send it in to the dealer to have the keyfob added. They actually struggled with it a bit and had to have the switchblade keyfob sent off to another dealer to have it cut. Not sure why but it ended up costing like $70 in labor after I provided the keyfob.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
If you have an owners manual, it should tell you if you can program it yourself which I believe you can as long as you have a good one. I had the same issue with my '15 but this model year has to be done by the dealer for $50.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Just this weekend I purchased a 2011 2LT and it came with 2 keys and 1 Fob. I want to order a 2nd Fob to have 2. All the programming videos and instructions I have seen are from before the recall.

Any GM dealer can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
I cannot offer much advice but I ordered a keyfob from an online source and I ended up having to send it in to the dealer to have the keyfob added. They actually struggled with it a bit and had to have the switchblade keyfob sent off to another dealer to have it cut. Not sure why but it ended up costing like $70 in labor after I provided the keyfob.
Yeah, I could sell FOBs that don't work.
I'll even put them on sale and be out of stock.

Here, in Illinois, you need to prove that you own the vehicle with three forms of identification before you can buy a key. Driver's License, Registration, Insurance Card.

And if you have any doubts about other keys being programmed to your Camaro it will only be in your best interest to pay a GM service center to remove them.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
dfw

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post

Very simple. 1. Start the car with the old one, turn the car off.
2. Next, start the car with the new one, turn the car off.

Done.

I got a new Key fob at the dealer and they cut the new key for $57.00. This will not work on the newer cars with push-button start.
dfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
anth331

Drives: 2016 Z71 Silverado 2013 1SS Camaro
I just had mine done today I bought a new FOB from the dealer and they programmed it for 75 dollars I didn't even have a FOB It works great remote start and everything
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
uvraise

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw View Post
Very simple. 1. Start the car with the old one, turn the car off.
2. Next, start the car with the new one, turn the car off.

Done.

I got a new Key fob at the dealer and they cut the new key for $57.00. This will not work on the newer cars with push-button start.
+1, Had a new key cut for mine last year, did the above, done! Works perfect!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
ffas23

Drives: 2011 Coupe
I have a question. I most recently purchased 2 new keyfobs online for my wife's 2011 Camaro. Bought them for backups. Can I program the two new remotes first to make sure they work before getting the blank keys cut somewhere? I have read about people buying replacement remotes and spending big money getting the keys cut yet the remotes were bad when they tried to program them. I am betting the key has nothing to do with programing the remote. Am I correct? It must be in the radio signal to the remote. So in other words can I have both my 2 original remotes in the car using them to program my 2 back up remotes I just purchased? I would then find some where to get the blanks cut on them or just use the remote control feature in case I locked a original key remote in the car to open the door.
ffas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
anth331

Drives: 2016 Z71 Silverado 2013 1SS Camaro
When I had my fob programmed at the dealer The first thing they asked me was, does your car have remote start? I said I don't know so they used my vin number to find out that it does. The technician told me that if you don't have remote start and you buy a fob online that supports remote start it will not work The same the other way If you have remote start and you buy a fob that doesn't support remote start it won't work either Right or wrong that's what the technician told me
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23 View Post
I have a question. I most recently purchased 2 new keyfobs online for my wife's 2011 Camaro. Bought them for backups. Can I program the two new remotes first to make sure they work before getting the blank keys cut somewhere? I have read about people buying replacement remotes and spending big money getting the keys cut yet the remotes were bad when they tried to program them. I am betting the key has nothing to do with programing the remote. Am I correct? It must be in the radio signal to the remote. So in other words can I have both my 2 original remotes in the car using them to program my 2 back up remotes I just purchased? I would then find some where to get the blanks cut on them or just use the remote control feature in case I locked a original key remote in the car to open the door.
You are correct.

You only need one key to program the other 2 FOB's. Just repeat the programming process twice. The car will tell you how many keys have been coded. I'm on like 5 due to the wife "losing" them constantly. Yep, she is forbidden to hold any keys now.

If you go to a big chevy dealership, they will cut them for you. I have not had to pay them to cut them. But would have to pay them to program it to the car, which takes about 25 seconds.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
You are correct.

You only need one key to program the other 2 FOB's. Just repeat the programming process twice. The car will tell you how many keys have been coded. I'm on like 5 due to the wife "losing" them constantly. Yep, she is forbidden to hold any keys now.

If you go to a big chevy dealership, they will cut them for you. I have not had to pay them to cut them. But would have to pay them to program it to the car, which takes about 25 seconds.
I am interested in how to program a FOB that doesn't haven't a key attached.
How can I do that?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I am interested in how to program a FOB that doesn't haven't a key attached.
How can I do that?
Everything I've read says that the Camaro does not have the ability for the owner to program a Fob that does not have a key attached and that you must go to a dealer or a lock smith that specializes in vehicles. Apparently in order to program a keyless Fob, you need some kind of special diagnostic tool that plugs into the OBD port.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #13
TheFlyingBananaSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Today I had my new $26 fob cut at the locksmith. $27 later I program it by turning on the original key, turning it off, removing it and putting in the new key and turning that one on and off too. It doesn't get any easier folks.

Still loving my Camaro!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Everything I've read says that the Camaro does not have the ability for the owner to program a Fob that does not have a key attached and that you must go to a dealer or a lock smith that specializes in vehicles. Apparently in order to program a keyless Fob, you need some kind of special diagnostic tool that plugs into the OBD port.
could be true on the newer vehicles, but not on any 2010-2012 vehicles. I have seen it done. The keyless fobs on the Camaros are the same FOB's as the keyed ones. Nothing different or special about them. They just have a pin holding the key part in.