Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #57
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I'm thinking this sounds like a situation I had.

I went to lunch with my fiance and her dad. She valeted her 1 month old BMW. We were in the restaurant for about an hour and when we get out as we drive away she gets super pissed and says they put like 65 miles on the car, I don't remember the exact number but she gave the miles they put on to an exact number. I immediately looked at the oil temp guage and the car was cold. The miles she gave would have taken an hour at least especially in the area we were as there are no expressways. She swore she knew exactly how many miles were on the car and got pissed at me when I pointed out the car was cold and they could not have been driving the car recently.

Long story short, she definitely forgot how many miles were on the car, if they did joyride the car it was only a few minutes as it had sat a long time to cool off in Florida weather, she still swears they drove it the whole time we were at lunch. On the plus side every time she wants me to valet my car I remind her of the valet joy riding her car!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #58
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
You admittedly didn't know the exact mileage when you dropped it off... you said "8xx."

What if it was 897? It would have easily turned to 902 on the way home.

You can't be sure, so I wouldn't be too eager to accuse them of something you can't be sure of.

My bigger concern would be whether they did a good job detailing the car. I would never let a dealer touch my car to detail it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #59
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Bottom line, you've misread how many miles you had on the car. Even is you think you didn't, you don't know exactly how many miles you had. Think about it, you could easily be wrong on how many miles you had.

Unless you (OP) have your own facts straight, I wouldn't blame the dealership.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #60
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
The OP has no case. He doesn't even now how many miles were on it when He dropped it off.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #61
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
My bigger concern would be whether they did a good job detailing the car. I would never let a dealer touch my car to detail it.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #62
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Street Eagle
Drop the 2010 off and Geo Fence the location.
If it moves off the lot the Car will text me and i can Look up its location and speed on line.
Had this happen at my exhaust shop. When I called them and told them where and how fast the car was going they were freaked. also it was parked in a over flow lot across the highway.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #63
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
probably just drove it to a car wash and/or gas station...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #64
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
How could they have driven it that far AND had time to detail it in that amount of time?
That is what I am thinking,that gauge may be bad.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #65
MiracleAces

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe
Just curious if maybe you had the 'trip' mileage on and they reset it to the actual odometer reading?

"Being persistant and never giving up may not always get the job done, but it just may annoy someone else enough to make it worth your while."
MiracleAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #66
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Well not to throw gasoline on a fire but this kind of thing has been know to happen. In this case karma caught up to the service tech that was doing it though, big-time. It was a dealership that I had been going to for over over a dozen years at the time and knew the service manager personally so I found it hard to believe. This happened back in '94.
I was talking to a co-worker one day at a place I was contracting. His drag racing buddy had a green Z-28 that had somehow accumulated over 150 miles on it while in for it's last service. The owner had suspected it in the past and had written down the mileage. Of course the service manager flatly denied it could ever happen, so when he very reluctantly left the car for follow-up service he made the SM come out and record the mileage himself.
Later around lunch time he receives a phone call from the police inquiring if he is the owner of a green Z28, Lisc.# etc. He says yes and is told the vehicle has been involved in an accident with fatality. He tells them the car is in for service and that isn't possible. They ask him to come to the scene. It is his car. Service tech lost control at a high rate of speed on a curvy road near the dealership that parallels a river. Car left the road and struck a mailbox, the post penetrated the windshield and impaled the driver killing him almost instantly.
The story was a bit unbelievable and had "urban legend" written all over it. I would've had trouble believing myself but the next day there was a newspaper article about it (Did NOT say he was in a customers car), and the guys obit the day after. The dealership had three used Z-28's on the lot and he got his pick so they did replace his car.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #67
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Well not to throw gasoline on a fire but this kind of thing has been know to happen. In this case karma caught up to the service tech that was doing it though, big-time. It was a dealership that I had been going to for over over a dozen years at the time and knew the service manager personally so I found it hard to believe.
I was talking to a co-worker one day at a place I was contracting. His drag racing buddy had a green Z-28 that had somehow accumulated over 150 miles on it while in for it's last service. The owner had suspected it in the past and had written down the mileage. Of course the service manager flatly denied it could ever happen, so when he very reluctantly left the car for follow-up service he made the SM come out and record the mileage himself.
Later around lunch time he receives a phone call from the police inquiring if he is the owner of a green Z28, Lisc.# etc. He says yes and is told the vehicle has been involved in an accident with fatality. He tells them the car is in for service and that isn't possible. They ask him to come to the scene. It is his car. Service tech lost control at a high rate of speed on a curvy road near the dealership that parallels a river. Car left the road and struck a mailbox, the post penetrated the windshield and impaled the driver killing him almost instantly.
The story was a bit unbelievable and had "urban legend" written all over it. I would've had trouble believing myself but the next day there was a newspaper article about it (Did NOT say he was in a customers car), and the guys obit the day after. The dealership had three used Z-28's on the lot and he got his pick so they did replace his car.

wow thats crazy
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #68
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
This thread is chock full of win
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #69
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
On a side note, did they do a good job detailing the car?
Dealers don't "detail" customer cars. It is called a courtesy wash. They take the cars out back, wet it a little, speed wash it with the same bucket of suds and sponge they've used on the 20 dirty cars before your car, dry it with the same grimey towels they used on the other cars. Some dealers have a drive-thru car wash with wash bristles that haven't been cleaned/replaced forever and mostly just a water spray (barely sudsy). Often times, you will notice more swirls on your car after a dealer's free "detail" job than what you had before.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #70
heff

Drives: 2011 Camaro pace car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post
Hey All

Thanks for the feedback. I did call OnStar and explained my situation they said they don't track the mileage and couldn't help me.

I know without exact mileage I can't prove it. As for the "detail" all they really did was wash it and put armor all on the tires. Wasn't really a detail at all. As for taking it there in the first place, I had to go pick up the spare cover for trunk floor which was missing, so I figured I'd take them up on their offer to detail it.

As for my memory of the mileage I know it was over 800 but no where near 900. And my google mapping of my driving for the week corroborates my memory. I mapped pretty much every mile I drove for the week and I cant even get to 800 miles. And that includes the trip to the dealership that morning. Even if I'm off by 50 miles it only comes to ~840 miles TOPS. they had to have driven it. I figure if they really only washed it they would have had at least 45 minutes to drive it.

One other thing I noticed, my display was set to Fuel Range and I know I had it set to Fuel Economy because I was tracking my highway mpg on the way there that morning. I was getting about 23 mpg. Maybe it got changed when they were wiping down the interior but maybe the used to how much gas to put back in the car. Maybe I'm just paranoid

Anyway I'll see what Chevy says but I don't really expect to be able to definitively prove it. Lesson learned: Snap a picture of the odometer when I drop it off. Honestly, I'm now wondering if I didn't misremember my mileage but then the mileage I mapped doesn't add up.

Oh well. Thanks again.
I didn't hear anywhere in there where you called the dealer and said I"M SORRY!
heff is offline   Reply With Quote