Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
moiy1983

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
Unhappy NEED SOME LEGAL ADVICE. WAS PULLED OVER TODAY AND GOT REEMED!..:(

Well fellas I really need some help. I was on my way to coffe and cars today and I was pulled over for speeding(75 in a 60). Thats not the problem while I was pulled over the officer noticed my car has a aftermarkt exhaust (Corsa) and he noticed the"rumble" of the cam. He said that was illegal and i was trying ask him and explain that it was a cam in the enigne marking that "rumble".He was pissed of that i disagreed with him and he delayed me even more and then all he said was Ill see u in court. he was rude and diddnt care to hear me out. Im not fighting the speeding but what I am fighting is the citation for "defective equipment loud exhaust" & "defective equiptment modified exhaust [fumes]. I been trying to resaerch laws on exhaust and modified engine in texas but have had no luck.
Anyhelp well be much apreciated!
moiy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Sounds like a jealous asshole cop to me As long as you have cats and mufflers you're legal. That's what is checked for the state inspection, noise has nothing to do with it.

I've had plenty of cops pull me over to ask what kind of exhaust I have. I tell them headers, high flow cats and deleted the stock mufflers. They've all told me that it sounds awesome. They always give me compliments. Of course I havent revved it to 7000 either in front of them

I have some officers in my neighborhood and family. I'll try to get some specifics on regulations if any. As far as I know he's full of it!

Good luck man

BTW, you goin on that cruise tomorrow?? Your buddy H-Town SS bailed on me
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
From a web site (and an officer of the law): "For a while I was using faulty exhaust as one of my standard OWI-enforcement PCs. And while it never came up in court, I stopped doing it because one of my fellow officers pointed out that I had no way to proving that the exhaust was faulty. I'm not a mechanic, I don't have a decibel-meter showing it's too loud, I'm not going to crawl under the vehicle to take pictures. How can I continue making those stops and help ensure that something will stick in court?

so don't take your car to court when your hearing comes up as for the fumes I'm not to sure about that one. Can you actually see fumes?
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
moiy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
From a web site (and an officer of the law): "For a while I was using faulty exhaust as one of my standard OWI-enforcement PCs. And while it never came up in court, I stopped doing it because one of my fellow officers pointed out that I had no way to proving that the exhaust was faulty. I'm not a mechanic, I don't have a decibel-meter showing it's too loud, I'm not going to crawl under the vehicle to take pictures. How can I continue making those stops and help ensure that something will stick in court?

so don't take your car to court when your hearing comes up as for the fumes I'm not to sure about that one. Can you actually see fumes?
absolutly no fumes are visible. but every car has fumes comig out the tailpipe. thats called exhaust fumes. that cops was obviously in a bad mood!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiy1983 View Post
Well fellas I really need some help. I was on my way to coffe and cars today and I was pulled over for speeding(75 in a 60). Thats not the problem while I was pulled over the officer noticed my car has a aftermarkt exhaust (Corsa) and he noticed the"rumble" of the cam. He said that was illegal and i was trying ask him and explain that it was a cam in the enigne marking that "rumble".He was pissed of that i disagreed with him and he delayed me even more and then all he said was Ill see u in court. he was rude and diddnt care to hear me out. Im not fighting the speeding but what I am fighting is the citation for "defective equipment loud exhaust" & "defective equiptment modified exhaust [fumes]. I been trying to resaerch laws on exhaust and modified engine in texas but have had no luck.
Anyhelp well be much apreciated!
That's gay.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
moiy1983

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.
Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.
The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.
Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.
Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.
The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.
If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.
Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.
The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.
NOTE: Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.
1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.
2. Inspect for and reject if:
a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.
b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).
c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.
d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.
e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).
f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.
g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.
h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.
i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.
j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
NOTE: Holes in the exhaust system made by the manufacturer for drainage are not cause for rejection. The tailpipe must direct the exhaust fumes out from under the passenger compartment.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Sorry to hear about the problem. In regards to the noise (Houston Noise ordinance):

Sec. 30-4. Noisy vehicles generally.
The use of any automobile, motorcycle, or other vehicle so out of repair, so loaded, or in such a manner so as to create loud and unreasonable grating, grinding, rattling or any other loud and unreasonable sound is hereby prohibited and declared to be unlawful.
(Ord. No. 93-77, § 2, 1-20-93)

The problem with this law is that there is not an exact limit of how loud the exhaust can be before you are 'breaking the law'. Therefore, it is up to the officer's discretion.

You're not alone in disagreeing with the law. Apparently, there is a petition to have the law changed so that "loud and unreasonable sound" is more defined.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/houstonnoiseordinance/

Last edited by LoneStar; 12-04-2010 at 07:07 PM.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Looks like you got all the angles covered with that write-up from the state inspection book. Take that info with you to court. The noise level is not checked. As far as the noise ordinance, the cop didnt do a decibel check so he has no ground to stand on. It's all a matter of opinion on the noise.

Just sounds like you ran into a rookie cop who used to get his ass whooped and his lunch money taken from him when he was a kid Now since he has a badge and a gun he thinks he's the shit
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
moiy1983

Another thing that played againts me was getting pulled over by a bridge so it had a bit of an echo
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Harley owners and other bikers catch flak for their bikes being loud all the time! It is a bunch of crap! It should not be subjective! I mean, they wouldn't be like "It LOOKS like you were going over the speed limit" No, they have a precise measuring device to determine it. So they shouldn't be able to say "It SOUNDS like your exhaust is too loud without measuring it!" Good luck!!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
louperrault
Former 2010 owner :(

Drives: 2011 Siverado C/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Harley owners and other bikers catch flak for their bikes being loud all the time! It is a bunch of crap! It should not be subjective! I mean, they wouldn't be like "It LOOKS like you were going over the speed limit" No, they have a precise measuring device to determine it. So they shouldn't be able to say "It SOUNDS like your exhaust is too loud without measuring it!" Good luck!!

I never catch flak about my exhaust, but you can use motorcycle exhaust against the citation (why not, cyclysts used motorcycles to push for bycycle lanes in san antonio) I have never seen nor heard of anyone getting a citation for noise or fumes here in Texas. Sorry to hear about your cop problem.....Most are doing thier jobs and this should not reflect on the good ones, there are a few here in the San Antonio Camaro club. Lou
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
The first thing I always do is shut the car off. What he isn't hearing he isn't writing up. Take it to court and you'll lose. The Houston ordinance is vague and gives the officer total discretion as to what he feels is loud or not.
Did you happen to keep calling him Roscoe or Sheriff Coltrain? I don't see many cops that pull something like that out when they're writing you up.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
The first thing I always do is shut the car off. What he isn't hearing he isn't writing up. [/I]
The bad thing is we know this from experience! :(
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Some good points here I also read on a web site about the pitch changing. Reminds me of sitting in the media room at home. I turn the surround sound on and the wife tells me to turn the volume down "it's to loud"? Something can sound noisy by pitch or where you are in relationship to the nose....so that was used as a defense also. If you could find an article addressing this issue you could introduce it as the good ol "Exhibit A" your honor.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote