Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #43
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
so... I am guessing we should guard the battery cable with some extra protection around the starter....

pics of the cable at the starter anyone?
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #44
2LT_Dad

Drives: Lexus
Where is Starter Located?

I realize from pictures posted here that the battery is located in the trunk. So where is the starter and the "battery cable" so that we can all check on ours when delivered? I want to assume in the engine compartment but am not certain. Thanks!
2LT_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
ac delco no prob. here been starting my 468 bb. for 6 years
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #46
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Thanks for informing us!
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #47
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
I had a similar problem with my 2003 S-10 and the trans fluid line. I was half way through a road trip in BFE when I realized I was running through gas faster than normal. Then the engine started going erratic on the RPMs. Long story short I pulled over, walked to the back of my truck (which was smoking a little) and the entire rear bumper and tailgate were dripping with trans fluid. Got it towed and they found one of the line retainers had come lose and the hose came in contact with something which rubbed a hole in it. Only had like 22,000 miles on it. No damage to the trans and I never had another issue with it. Was not fun though.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #48
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207

Drives: 95 S10
Glad they found your problem and it is not super serious.
That would be upsetting.
Happy driving from now on.

Could this be the starter Photo.
Attached Images

GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #49
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
Original thread stating problem with car -- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20125

First and foremost I want to THANK EVERYONE who responded with great ideas and suggestions. I'm so thankful to all that lended their experiences and wise knowledge. I joined this forum because I googled my car and found it on this website. Wild it was my car that brought me here. Also, I want those that thought I was kidding or lying to know that I simply posted what I did for information purposes. I hope that my experience could only be heard by others and maybe prevent or help someone else. I understand that this car is new and the first one in a long time, I know there will be bumps, this is why I wish to share and be shared with. Knowledge is power afterall. I will not pretend to know a lot about my car, for I am a girl... Just kidding. I have already learned so much from this website.

To all that said the Decepticons had a hand in it. I concur. That was absolutely my first thought.

So without further ado. We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. They have not replaced the battery, and don't plan to. They are going to test it though. I sure do hope it's ok. I don't want to think about my battery being compromised. It's covered though, right? A new battery cable is reordered and should be installed Wednesday morning. They have also rerouted the cable. I should have my baby back Wednesday. I'm so so thankful.

So to all new camaro owners , hopefully my incident is isolated and I am one of few, rather one of one! But, if for any reason your new camaro should just shut down, check the battery cable near the starter.

Again, thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm so grateful to have joined such a wonderful forum. Glad I became a member, wish I would have joined years ago, or whenever it was started. I will be sure to hold a photo session when I get my car back and I will post for all to see.

Speechlessly Gracious,
S. OR BUMLEB
now THATS good news!
good for you and congrats again on your new beastly baby.
amazing!
let us know when you get her back and .... if you didnt already....
lots of pics, please.

CHEERS!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #50
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM'r_For_Life View Post
Glad they found your problem and it is not super serious.
That would be upsetting.
Happy driving from now on.

Could this be the starter Photo.

I think I see the starter, but can anyone identify the battery cable?

Bumbeb, do you think they might give you the old cable back? sure would like to see it!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #51
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
To the ones saying that Optima batteries are the way to go, I disagree. Ive went through 2 new red tops and a new yellow top in the past 4 months. I now use Kenetik Batteries. Check them out. Optimas are good but if your going to spend the money, I PROMISE these are way better. I have two on my dually and my little girl watches movies in it all the time at car shows with the stereo up with 3 12"s, 2 amps, mids and highs, and at the end of the day I can get in and start it right up no problem.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #52
Bell040

Quote:
..... We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. .......
It is not the battery..... its the battery cable.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #53
91RS

Drives: 1991 RS
I gotta say, after looking at the pics, Yellow looks the best out of all colors a night. Wow, really nice.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #54
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live.
so the battery below from a 91 syclone should not work when the truck was removed from the barn in 2008? the battery actually started the truck without any help

FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #55
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Less than 40 miles. There were 3 miles when it got off the delivery truck. And other 20 put on my the dealership. Before I drove it home there were either 22 or 24 miles on it.
Im glad your car is fixed. I have a question. Why did your dealership put miles on your car?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #56
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
Im from NJ and my battery is stock and 4 and half years. Im sure its coming to the end of its life cycle but I have never had an issue with ac delco batteries.