Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
redriverchevy

Drives: 2007 Chevy Silverado
rear end clunk PLEASE HELP!

Ok i just purchased a 2002 Camaro ss. I have had the car now for a week and a half. Today I drove the car to church and to lunch. As i was going to see a uncle of mine this is when a big problem occurred. As I turned into his subdivision going about 10 mph i noticed a loud clunk sound. My wife stated that I night have ran over something but I did not. As I slowed down it occurred again. So I stopped the car to take a look. Nothing seemed abnormal so I got back in and drove real slow to his house. Every time I would apply the brake, and the car would have to go front then back it would do it again. When I got to his house i pushed down on the back of the car multiple times and the sound reappeared again. My uncle said it might be the u-joint. It defiantly sounded like its coming from the drive shaft. I need HELP! If this has happened to anyone please respond with any solutions you might have.
redriverchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
check your u-joints.

what do you mean the car would have to go front then back? forward then reverse?

also (not saying this is what happened) if it isnt the driveshaft, be prepared as you might have busted the spider gears in the diff.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
redriverchevy

it is for sure hitting something on the outside. It is to loud for it to be an internal problem.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
on my 78 i heard a loud clunking that turned out to be my exhaust rubbing on the body. only happens on harder right turns at speed. check to see if there are any clearance problems anywhere

a few zip ties fixed the problem for now. when i have the time and money after i get done with boot camp and 'A' school im going to fix as much as i can on her.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriverchevy View Post
it is for sure hitting something on the outside. It is to loud for it to be an internal problem.
well, what are you doing on here? go out and find out what it is.

sounds like a driveshaft or u-joint problem. go find out.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
redriverchevy

Hey bud I was just trying to find out what it could be. I had it towed to my dealership yesterday. I am going to have it looked at today. Thanks for the input. I think it might be something along those lines.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I see two possibilities, both I've experienced:

1) Most likely a tranny mount. The best way to check this is pop the hood and put it in drive and reverse. If you see the back of the engine shifting up and down it's the tranny mount(s) and you're hearing the trankky shift into the floorplan from the torque. My brother took the liberty of getting airtime in my '91 vert and breaking my mounts, so I know exactly how loud that knock can be.

2) Bad rear end. When the pumpkin died in my IROC, it made an awful sound, but it did so mainly when turning (the differential had locked up on it's way out) and you didn't mention that. However it was a loud banging and it something I'd check.

U-joint is a possibility but not likely. Rarely do they make banging noises, usually they will "click" but not for long...they generally fail without much notice.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I see two possibilities, both I've experienced:

1) Most likely a tranny mount. The best way to check this is pop the hood and put it in drive and reverse. If you see the back of the engine shifting up and down it's the tranny mount(s) and you're hearing the trankky shift into the floorplan from the torque. My brother took the liberty of getting airtime in my '91 vert and breaking my mounts, so I know exactly how loud that knock can be.

2) Bad rear end. When the pumpkin died in my IROC, it made an awful sound, but it did so mainly when turning (the differential had locked up on it's way out) and you didn't mention that. However it was a loud banging and it something I'd check.

U-joint is a possibility but not likely. Rarely do they make banging noises, usually they will "click" but not for long...they generally fail without much notice.
i was thinkin trans mount too, but he said it happend when going slow on a corner....

tho if it is a trans mount, get a polyurethane one and never worry about it again.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
redriverchevy

The thing is is that it is drive-able. Keep in mind that this is a six speed car. What I ment by the car moving back and forth is the surge when you slow to a complete stop. That is when it is most noticable. Or when the car kind of jerks when you are in first gear and it gives you that slight surge forward then back, the noise again appears. I hope that this gives you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Check the torque arm busing too. If it's the original one, depending on the previous owner and conditions the car was driven through, that rubber bushing maybe just bad. I've seen some to where there was no rubber in the bracket anymore and the torque arm was free to smack around under there.

Good luck and keep us posted

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

^^^^^
yup
ive seen times where the clamshell outer portion came off. but the bushing was still there... not doing a whole lot, but still there.

check the tq arm bushing, and the trans mount, with the trans mount, you might not be able to see it outright unless you push up on the tailshaft of the trans. and check the d/s and u-joints as well for safe measure.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm anxious to see who is right. Hehe.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm anxious to see who is right. Hehe.
X2 LOL! This is kinda' fun

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
X2 LOL! This is kinda' fun
ive been pming a mod or two about putting up a tech/how-to section on here for troubleshooting guides, manuals, etc. its up in the air right now, but ive been compiling a donkey buttload of information if/when it does get put up. so if you got some extra idea, pm them to me and we'll add them up after proper review.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: