Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
My first PDX track day experience!

Well, this SCCA PDX event last Saturday at Daytona was my first track day ever and it was a completely awesome experience. I went in having no idea what to expect as far as how capable my car or I was on the track. The day consisted of 4 20 minute sessions which followed several parade laps to familiarize ourselves with the track. My instructor drove the parade lap so I can learn the proper lines and as I saw from several youtube video as I watched beforehand the breaking zones were indicated as well as the apex and passing zones.

After the second session they signed me off for solo driving so the afternoon was very fun by myself. I was actually one of the fastest cars there, only a newer Porsche 911, modded Impreza, and RX7 were faster than me. It was a lot of fun passing the others, I thought at the beginning of the day that I would be doing point bys all day long, but even the handful of cars that matched me or slightly exceeded me in the corners I hauled in at the straights.

By the end of the second session I felt comfortable that I knew the limits of the car and now I can't stop thinking about the 1LE which I will be upgrading to once they are released with Recaros (I was flying all around at 85-90 mph slight turn with uneven pavement). Not to mention the additional handling capabilities. I plan on doing the next PDX in Sebring July 20th and my instructor wants me to make a trip to Roebling October 18, hopefully the 1LE is in my garage by October, we shall see. My wife and her cousin were jealous so I might have a few friends with me at Sebring.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Congrats and welcome to the addiction.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Awesome.... I hope to be able to get a "real" track day in soon.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
What doc said . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
once they are released with Recaros (I was flying all around at 85-90 mph slight turn with uneven pavement).
This is a big problem with many current cars. For cheap, a CG-lock or similar means of locking the OE seatbelt adjustment is more than worth investigating. There's also angel wings - they apparently mimic a seat with extra seat cushion bolstering to similar effect. Might keep in mind that any instructor who sits right seat is entitled to the same level of restraint as the driver.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Yes, I have read about both and know about the instructor seating. I am leaning toward the CG locks, less expensive and I can use them in the 1LE too. No need for Angelwing pads in the future with the Recaros.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Congrats, on your track event
Road racing is extremely addictive.
Roebling Road is a fun track to run, you gotta try Road Atlanta, I will be there at the end of the month
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Exigent

Drives: 2003 Porsche 996tt
Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Attending an SCCA PDX event was exactly how I got hooked.
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote