Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
67CamaroRS

Drives: 1967 Camaro, Red RS
2010 2SS Ignition Key Problem

After signing all the paperwork at the Dealership, John L. Sullivan, I put the key in the ignition and started the Camaro. I then proceeded to drive it home. When I got home, I could turn the engine off, but I could not turn the key far enough to remove it from the Ignition. So for tonight it is locked up in my Garage with the key still in it and the accessories still on. Tomorrow morning I am hoping that there is still enough power left to start the car again and drive it back to John L. Sullivan for Warranty work and to remove the key from the ignition. My car had 48 miles on it when I picked it up so I think some one at the dealership tried to start the car with the wrong key and damaged the ignition insert for the key.
Onstar and several people at the dealership tried to have me do different things with starting and stopping it in and out of several gears and turning the steering wheel, but the key would not come out of the ignition.
Attached Images

67CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
that sucks. hopefully it is a quick fix

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Jarvis59
owner/operator VIN 1760

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What did you have done to the side gills? Are they painted or vinyl?

I have the same color SS and this is the first pix I have seen with darkened gills. It looks great.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
unhook the battery!!!! that way it wont be dead in the A.M.
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
just in case the obvious hasn't already been checked, is the transmission in park (automatic tranny). I tested this out this morning and if I left the tranny in drive and turned off the engine the ignition switch will not go to the full off position until the gear selector was placed in park. if yours is in park then the gear selector position switch or the ignition switch selonoid might be faulty.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
67CamaroRS

2010 2SS RJT

Thank you for your responses. In answer to your questions.
Yes, the Transmission was placed in Park and I tried to turn the steering wheel and remove the key, but it still would not come out. Right now it is at John L Sullivan's Chevyworld where they are working on the problem.
Also that is where they did the Painting of the Side Gills which they called Pin Stripping. I dont see it as Pin Stripping because I have white Pin Stripping on my 67. But they did Paint the side gills Black, and I do like how it enhances the RJT Paint. They did the Painting without my approval, and I had to pay for it, but now I like the way the Camaro looks.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
They applied paint to your car without your approval?! Man, that's playing with fire on their part. Good thing you liked the outcome, otherwise they would have been kicking themselves.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
The gill accents are decals not paint. They applied the same thing to my 1SS.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
Is your problem fixed? On other GM vehicles (i.e. Saturn) I've seen the key get stuck in the ignition and it's actually a known manufacturer problem. The workaround is that there is a little square cover on the bottom of the steering column close to the key. Remove the cover and feel around for a button. Once you depress it it unlocks the key. It's definitely a pain! Hope the Saturn workaround works for your Camaro until your problem is permanently fixed.
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
67CamaroRS

Key Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycicada View Post
Is your problem fixed? On other GM vehicles (i.e. Saturn) I've seen the key get stuck in the ignition and it's actually a known manufacturer problem. The workaround is that there is a little square cover on the bottom of the steering column close to the key. Remove the cover and feel around for a button. Once you depress it it unlocks the key. It's definitely a pain! Hope the Saturn workaround works for your Camaro until your problem is permanently fixed.
The Problem is still not fixed. And this is a Saturn Dealership as well as Chevrolet Dealer; so they should be aware of the Saturn problem. Right now they are still dealing with Detroit trying to get a replacement part from the Canadian Factory and/or the Supplier. Then it has to be shipped; so I am looking at the problem not being fixed til next week because of the July 4th Holiday. Hopefully I will get the answer in the morning as to how soon the replacement part for the Ignition arrives.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have heard nothing but bad about John L Sullivan. They add a bunch of stuff to the cars that are ordered by customers without their permission so they can charge them for this crap.

I love to see you have kept your 67 all these years. BTW used to live down the street in Galt
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
67CamaroRS

Key Problem

GM called today and they are still working on the problem. We are going into the Fourth of July Weekend and the Camaro is still in the Shop. Will have to wait for next week to get a call back from the GM District Manager with more information on the status and location of my replacement Ignition Part.
Will keep this post updated til I get a the Ignition fixed.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
outlawz

Drives: 1995 Camaro Z28 Drag car
OMG..... painted with out approval but you had to pay for it....

Good old John L Sullivan.....
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
67CamaroRS

Ingnition Key Issue

My 2010 2SS is still in the shop at John L Sullivan Chevrolet of Roseville, CA.
They are still trying to work with GM and the Factory in order to get the Ignition Part that does not exist in the system right now. New 2010 Camaro Parts are difficult to find. They are all going to build new Camaros.
As a side light I have found out that I am not alone in my Problem. Apparently, there are four other Camaro Owners that can not get their Keys out of the Ignition. Hopefully they are being taken care of by their dealer.
Attached Images