Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
scv_guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Turbonetics why???? UPDATED!!

I have a turbonetics kit on my car and it runs great! But the last time i had the car on the dyno my tuner tells me " I got good news and bad" good news you have plenty of fuel! Bad news is with your current engine combo (stock) the turbo is maxed due to back pressure.

Why would turbonetics use such a small exhaust housing .68???

9/13/2016
First off I was wrong and need to do a bit more reading before posting I have .96 ar not .68
The guys at Turbonetics Reggie & Rodolfo went above and beyond as far as customer service goes! If your looking to buy a turbo kit look no further there kit makes great power and there customer service is second to none!

Last edited by scv_guy; 09-13-2016 at 03:45 PM.
scv_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Because it is designed for a nice but moderate power gain, and that is what fits, and even if you go bigger, the downpipe and rest of hot side will restrict after that. Its an emissions legal kit, and for what you got out of it, you should be really happy. Want more, start looking at other options.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Because it is designed for a nice but moderate power gain, and that is what fits, and even if you go bigger, the downpipe and rest of hot side will restrict after that. Its an emissions legal kit, and for what you got out of it, you should be really happy. Want more, start looking at other options.
In your opinion do you think it's a waste of money to upgrade to the "stage 2" 76/75?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
That is a better system for sure but still limited to that 3" exhaust pipe. That's less flow than the stock exhaust system. Bottleneck
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Get long tube headers, remove all cat's, straight pipe exhaust or just do a dump exhaust.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
TurboneticsRW

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
I have a turbonetics kit on my car and it runs great! But the last time i had the car on the dyno my tuner tells me " I got good news and bad" good news you have plenty of fuel! Bad news is with your current engine combo (stock) the turbo is maxed due to back pressure.

The exhaust hsgs is not a .68 you might have it confused with the turbine wheel which is our F1-68 turbine (68mm). If you're not concerned about smog issues I would run our 75/75 turbo as we put down over 900rwhp with that turbo with the same piping. This goes without saying that you need to have a setup that could support that type of power.
TurboneticsRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I like the Turbonetics kit but the limiting factor is the hot side plumbing. Sure you can make big power but it's less effecient the higher you go.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
We listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post

There is so much miss information/communication out here
I, in particular don't spend much time in forums, too many internet engineers and keyboard warriors. not targeted to anyone in specific, just the community as a whole. how many people on forums? Vs few that actually know?

This kit was design around Emissions and reliability hence the only reason for tapping in to the exhaust post-cat. most people don't know, but this kit was co-design with GM and CARB to be included in the performance catalog and offered under warranty. with that in mind, lets be realistic maximum power was never in the table, GM did not want failed motors, and CARB doesn't really want us to modify anything. you can now see what we where up against and why some design decisions where made. now that the history lesson is behind us.

I really doubt you have a 0.68 A/R Turbine housing. it should be a 0.96 A/R please double check.

I took the liberty to roughly match our 75/75 turbo to your power goals.
we don't typically share all of this information with customers, but in the spirit of factual data here it is.
please look closely at the values highlighted in red. you can find each RPM point plotted against the compressor map on the right.
those are ever changing variables but I can calculate and account for anything that happens in the real world. i.e. temp, altitude, humidity, back pressure, intercooler effectiveness, fuel type etc.
with the assistance of Dyno pulls we can plot back data in to the calculation and fine-tune BSFC perfectly for your individual setup. this allows us to account for all customer variables and tailors each match for a specific vehicle setup.

since you are spraying meth I can account for it in the intercooler effectiveness tab and factor in the temperature drop.
this will also considerably richen your air fuel mixture. still I used very conservative temps and fuel ratios.
targeted power goal was set to 811hp between 5k to 6k/rpm factor in 18% drivetrain loss and you end up @ 686WHP. (you been automatic this can be higher, we can account for it)
the calculation results in 12psi manifold "boost" happy to see that my data matches your actual signature information, I than proceed to match the turbine data.

you mentioned your tuner said the backpressure was choking the turbo.
while that maybe true, its not the 3" downpipe that's the problem per say.
but rather the wastegates (pre turbo unexpanded high pressure gas) dumping back into the same 3" pipe ( post-turbo expanded low pressure gas) laws of physics dictate you can flow more air the higher the pressure.
when you combine high pressure gas to a low pressure pipe it can quickly choke.

let me elaborate, what you are looking at bellow is turbine power required to make the specified compressor work (boost)
under "wastegate persantage" you can see the turbo only requires about half of the flow generated by the engine to make said boost. (12psi)
the other half is bypassing the turbo and been dumped back in to the low pressure 3" pipe, thus creating your choke condition.

in conclusion:
relieving/redirecting said wastegated flow to atmosphere will significantly increase flow capacity that your turbo desperately needs.
you can try this and see for your self, its free.

further more, as you can see by the compressor map, a stage two has lots of room to go.
900whp on our company car with a build motor, using the same plumbing you have & we are not dumping the wastegates ether. fuel c16 was maxed out, well be back with E85 and continue to push.
as for the turbine side here is a pic of a 75mm hsg (stage two) vs the 68mm turb whl you currently have. this is not a sales pitch I don't work in sales, its information. make up your own conclusion and go from there.

if you have any more questions please feel free to PM email or call us.

Last edited by CamaroSS sleeper; 08-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.
CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
Almost 700 rwhp and carb legal, I'd be happy as hell with that.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS sleeper View Post
There is so much miss information/communication out here
I, in particular don't spend much time in forums, too many internet engineers and keyboard warriors. not targeted to anyone in specific, just the community as a whole. how many people on forums? Vs few that actually know?

This kit was design around Emissions and reliability hence the only reason for tapping in to the exhaust post-cat. most people don't know, but this kit was co-design with GM and CARB to be included in the performance catalog and offered under warranty. with that in mind, lets be realistic maximum power was never in the table, GM did not want failed motors, and CARB doesn't really want us to modify anything. you can now see what we where up against and why some design decisions where made. now that the history lesson is behind us.

I really doubt you have a 0.68 A/R Turbine housing. it should be a 0.96 A/R please double check.

I took the liberty to roughly match our 75/75 turbo to your power goals.
we don't typically share all of this information with customers, but in the spirit of factual data here it is.
please look closely at the values highlighted in red. you can find each RPM point plotted against the compressor map on the right.
those are ever changing variables but I can calculate and account for anything that happens in the real world. i.e. temp, altitude, humidity, back pressure, intercooler effectiveness, fuel type etc.
with the assistance of Dyno pulls we can plot back data in to the calculation and fine-tune BSFC perfectly for your individual setup. this allows us to account for all customer variables and tailors each match for a specific vehicle setup.

since you are spraying meth I can account for it in the intercooler effectiveness tab and factor in the temperature drop.
this will also considerably richen your air fuel mixture. still I used very conservative temps and fuel ratios.
targeted power goal was set to 811hp between 5k to 6k/rpm factor in 18% drivetrain loss and you end up @ 686WHP. (you been automatic this can be higher, we can account for it)
the calculation results in 12psi manifold "boost" happy to see that my data matches your actual signature information, I than proceed to match the turbine data.

you mentioned your tuner said the backpressure was choking the turbo.
while that maybe true, its not the 3" downpipe that's the problem per say.
but rather the wastegates (pre turbo unexpanded high pressure gas) dumping back into the same 3" pipe ( post-turbo expanded low pressure gas) laws of physics dictate you can flow more air the higher the pressure.
when you combine high pressure gas to a low pressure pipe it can quickly choke.

let me elaborate, what you are looking at bellow is turbine power required to make the specified compressor work (boost)
under "wastegate persantage" you can see the turbo only requires about half of the flow generated by the engine to make said boost. (12psi)
the other half is bypassing the turbo and been dumped back in to the low pressure 3" pipe, thus creating your choke condition.

in conclusion:
relieving/redirecting said wastegated flow to atmosphere will significantly increase flow capacity that your turbo desperately needs.
you can try this and see for your self, its free.

further more, as you can see by the compressor map, a stage two has lots of room to go.
900whp on our company car with a build motor, using the same plumbing you have & we are not dumping the wastegates ether. fuel c16 was maxed out, well be back with E85 and continue to push.
as for the turbine side here is a pic of a 75mm hsg (stage two) vs the 68mm turb whl you currently have. this is not a sales pitch I don't work in sales, its information. make up your own conclusion and go from there.

if you have any more questions please feel free to PM email or call us.
Great Post, we need more reliable accurate data like this, it builds customer confidence.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
bob2010ss

Drives: Turbocharged 2010 GLOSSY NARDO GREY
Just curious, do you track the car often or are you more "fun on the street"?

SPI Built and Tuned

Eibach Suspension and beeeeeefed up axles!!!

and a whole lotta whooooooosh

oh and those are MT Drag Radials on the back
bob2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #12
bob2010ss

Drives: Turbocharged 2010 GLOSSY NARDO GREY
BTW that was probably one of the most informed responses i have ever read!

SPI Built and Tuned

Eibach Suspension and beeeeeefed up axles!!!

and a whole lotta whooooooosh

oh and those are MT Drag Radials on the back
bob2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2010ss View Post
Just curious, do you track the car often or are you more "fun on the street"?
The car has never been to the track
Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboneticsRW View Post
The exhaust hsgs is not a .68 you might have it confused with the turbine wheel which is our F1-68 turbine (68mm). If you're not concerned about smog issues I would run our 75/75 turbo as we put down over 900rwhp with that turbo with the same piping. This goes without saying that you need to have a setup that could support that type of power.
Pm sent