Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Not gonna happen by 2023.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Not gonna happen by 2023.
I concur, this isn't the first company to make this bet either. But, I would love to live to see it happen.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
i say put all the murderers/pedo's/rapists on mars first. see how they survive.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
not worth the money IMO and no country is in the position to finance this...
Private enterprise, not government funded.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Private enterprise, not government funded.
This groups timeline is entirely dependent on their level of funding as well. Who knows, maybe the reality show will be a giant success and they'll get the money they need in time? If they manage to develop the crew module and landers at the same time they are training everyone, 10 years is somewhat doable (if they started right now anyway). They already have Space X's falcon 9 to get to space, so that part is taken care of. Really, if you wanted to throw this together, all you would need:

Rocket to gain Earth orbit: check
Crew module: Use one or two Bigelow BA330's attached to a propulsion unit
Landers: They have their own design, but could also more than likely talk Elon Musk into using a Dragon capsule for the lander.

All the other supply missions are done robotically and will be launched before and after the astronauts, so that's stuff our space industry already has experience with.

Really, if you are familiar with our current tech and capabilities, this is not far fetched at all. It just comes down to how much money they can raise.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Private enterprise is also involved in other plans related to going to asteroids and mining resources. I love the recent test they did on doing vertical landings.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Oh, and as far as supplies, yes they would need regular supplies. Water filtration and other technologies have gotten far more advanced, and there's been lots of research into self contained habitats.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Solar Warden

"Solar Warden", (if that is real) according to cited whistleblowers, says a lot of things about our real abilities in space exploration, one of which is that we have already established bases on the moon and mars. There also exist a few people who insist they have teleported to Mars.

The real question to think about (to me) is why the urgency to colonize space by such an agency. It tends to lean towards saying they "know" earth is headed for extinction, whether it be from a catastrophe, or by some kind of alien takeover. I have read at least one place online, that a known planned alien invasion may be scheduled for the year 2030.

The hacker named McKinnon, I believe somehow found information about Solar Warden. He also claims he found the names of two different space crafts, which both start with U.S.S.S. USSS Hillenkoetter, and USSS LeMay, both of which has no information online at all about their existence. Hillenkoetter and LeMay are both individuals who do deem worthy of having their names on such crafts if they are real. (Look up those 2 guys). LeMay was some kind of amazing aviation general, with an avalanche of accomplishments and respect.

To me, it is plausible to believe we have advanced crafts which remain confidential to the general public. That type of info could not be discussed out loud, due to the social ramifications.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I kinda wanna sign up for this always been kinda interested in space the the unknown of it all. Heck id volunteer for a one way trip to the outskirts of our solar system and further. If it as all possible.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
I have read at least one place online, that a known planned alien invasion may be scheduled for the year 2030.
What do you suppose is the best round for blasting aliens? I found 5.56 XM855 to be pretty effective against some nasty human hostiles so I stocked up on that.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
BUt even now they should be sending supplies to mars, well ahead of time, and like a train system, so before anyone even shows up, they got plenty there and enough on the way.

is a long trip
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Building a settlement on Mars? We're having a hard enough time just keeping up the one here.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
My question is how would the colony really support itself? You can't send stuff from earth to Mars forever. No livestock, no natural water, no fertile soil... everything on that mission looks temporary
As I undersand it, its a pseudo-colony. There will be a base deployed before arrival. Water can be recycled very efficiently, and fuel-cells can make up for the difference (they take hydrogen and oxygen and produce electricity and water). Soil fertility can be tweaked with a little fertilizer & specially selected crops. Lastly, there are only going to be a handful of people. They aren't intending on supporting 200 people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
I've read through Mars One's plans, most of their stuff is fairly well thought out. They put a lot of emphasis on the actual psychological factors that people are going to be dealing with, wanting to make sure they send groups of four people that actually get along with each other.

My only reservation is that the public gets to "vote" (American idle style) for the winners of the reality show. Decisions this big should not be left to the public imo. Other than that, I wish them the best of luck
To quote Agent K: "A person is smart, people are dumb"

btw, idle means sitting around, doing enough to keep yourself going & nothing more. Idol is something to be in awe of, or to worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
"Solar Warden", (if that is real) according to cited whistleblowers, says a lot of things about our real abilities in space exploration, one of which is that we have already established bases on the moon and mars. There also exist a few people who insist they have teleported to Mars.

The real question to think about (to me) is why the urgency to colonize space by such an agency. It tends to lean towards saying they "know" earth is headed for extinction, whether it be from a catastrophe, or by some kind of alien takeover. I have read at least one place online, that a known planned alien invasion may be scheduled for the year 2030.

The hacker named McKinnon, I believe somehow found information about Solar Warden. He also claims he found the names of two different space crafts, which both start with U.S.S.S. USSS Hillenkoetter, and USSS LeMay, both of which has no information online at all about their existence. Hillenkoetter and LeMay are both individuals who do deem worthy of having their names on such crafts if they are real. (Look up those 2 guys). LeMay was some kind of amazing aviation general, with an avalanche of accomplishments and respect.

To me, it is plausible to believe we have advanced crafts which remain confidential to the general public. That type of info could not be discussed out loud, due to the social ramifications.
People claim lots of things. Fact is, its impossible to conduct a launch into space without the rest of the world knowing. The Russians (among others) monitor for rocket launches, namely to see if anyone is sending a nuke their way. After that, any large object sent into space is pretty easy to track. Something sizeable enough to be a manned mission to Mars or a colony starter kit would be easily identified -and distinguished from a simple unmanned probe/rover.

The Earth is doomed, no doubt about it. Whether we have decades, centuries, millennia, or eons is up for debate. But if humanity is to survive indefinable, we have to eventually get off this rock.

There are most definitely vehicles that are well beyond top-secret that the public have little to no idea about. But that doesn't mean we've got devices to teleport people to Mars either. An aircraft capable of flying at say mach 10 certainly achievable, given enough R&D funding. But teleportation, or otherwise getting to Mars without the knowledge of other nations is something which is beyond the current known limitations of physics. DARPA can do many things, but even they can't build on a foundation that does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What do you suppose is the best round for blasting aliens? I found 5.56 XM855 to be pretty effective against some nasty human hostiles so I stocked up on that.
Depends. Do they have an exoskeloton or endo? Is their outer surface layer (what we call 'skin) soft and pliable like ours or is it tough and armoured? Are these extra terrestrials even biological in origin? Could the be mechanical, or even non-corporeal in origin? Perhaps a non-corporeal machine (more or less a space faring computer virus). Bullets probably won't do much against that.

And of course, those possiblilits are only that which can be generated by the human imagination. Due to the vastness of space, there are countless potential versions of life that are possible that we are simply unable to comprehend as existing, let alone recognizing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Building a settlement on Mars? We're having a hard enough time just keeping up the one here.
Which is kinda why we need a plan B. If we screw up massively enough on Earth, well we'd kinda be in a pickle at the moment.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote