Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ruby...this is awesome news!

Now first I say trust your installer and let him do his thing! He wants to try something new so let him do it. If it doesn't work out he has already said he will work with you to make you happy so no harm there.

You've raced other V6s at the strip so I'm sure you've heard what the V6 with LT headers sounds like right? They will make a dramatic change to the current tone and loudness of your Borlas right now. But I think in the end if you don't mind a louder exhaust you will be happy as it will sound very muscular with your Borlas. Borlas are a bit on the tame side by themselves, but paired with LT headers its usually the tame exhausts that end up sounding the best in my opinion. The only thing you'll need to look out for is a raspy tone (very thin and metallic sounding) but your installer seems to already be looking out for this so thats good. In the end, if you need to you can always add a resonated pipe and correct this.

Also...if you could somehow get videos of the sound as you make changes that would be great. We'd all love to hear it!

Now for the tune. Go with IPF for sure. Contact "IPF-Tuning" on this site. The guy who handles this online stuff is Andy. He will take care of you. Just know the IPF tune is more expensive than Trifecta as the tune gets more expensive depending on your mods. You have lots of mods so just tell him what you have done to your car and he should be able to quote you a price.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
More Horsepower
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Awesome!!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Who is our contact person for the IPF tunes?
Call Andy at IPF: 480-6827059. He's a good guy!

I always enjoyed my Trifecta, but I think these IPF guys have an edge with the LLT chip.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
No on my LLT. Nick feels confident in what he is fabricating. I asked him about resinators & he did not think I needed them. If need be I can always add them later. He thinks the LLT with his x-pipe setup does not sound good. ??????????????

And I hope I will get some better times on the drag strip!

Does anyone know of someone specific who had ARH long tubes & h-pipe & switched to resinated X-pipe?

Actually i was referring to nyrfan... he loves his long tubes because he has a V8... Long tubes on a V6 are going to introduce a ton of rasp. A standard h-pipe or standard x-pipe are going to do nothing to help control the rasp. IMHO an h-pipe is going to be a little bit more raspy than a standard x-pipe... b

I believe we have a number of members here that have done long tubes and then end up installing a resonated x-pipe due to the terrible rasp... hopefully they will chime in...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #20
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Actually i was referring to nyrfan... he loves his long tubes because he has a V8... Long tubes on a V6 are going to introduce a ton of rasp. A standard h-pipe or standard x-pipe are going to do nothing to help control the rasp. IMHO an h-pipe is going to be a little bit more raspy than a standard x-pipe... b

I believe we have a number of members here that have done long tubes and then end up installing a resonated x-pipe due to the terrible rasp... hopefully they will chime in...

.......all right........you called me out........

I installed my OBX headers two years ago( remmeber these are catlless thou). I took one drive and said no way am I dealing with that RASP.

I all ready knew the solution was the Magnaflow resonated X pipe.

I was online that evening ordering one. It was installed less than a week later.

I get a ton of compliments all the time about how GREAT my system sounds.

There are plenty of videos of my latest set-up linked on the forum. I am not going to add another one here on Ruby's thread.

I am sure she has heard it and she can decide for herself on what she wants for sound.

RUBY........Good Luck with you set-up, I am sure the builder knows what he is doing. If it is the sound you are after when completed, then that will be AWESOME for you.

If not, keep in mind you can always go with the resonated X pipe.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

This is a possibility (common even) but it is very easy to fix. A Magnaflow resonated X-pipe will kill the rasp and deepen the tone. It will also bring the volume down a bit.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Have you considered BBKs? ARH seems a little over priced and their X-pipe is a sure fire way to make our 6's sound ricey. If you do go for the ARH set up make sure to get the Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe as everyone else suggested and get a set of OEM Manifold gaskets.
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I don't think you will have a problem with the ARH headers, they produce less rasp than the other companies. I enjoy the hell out of mine, big power gain.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Dang! the IPF tune IS going to be pricey & you have to buy the tuning module now instead of having a deposit & returning it. Oh well, I would rather do things right hte first time & not have to go back & change later.

Sooooooooo, will it hurt anything if I wait a while after my headers are installed to get the tune? I know it will throw codes, but will it hurt anything? Or, I may just have to wait a bit longer to get them installed until I save enough to cover the installation & tune.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Dang! the IPF tune IS going to be pricey & you have to buy the tuning module now instead of having a deposit & returning it. Oh well, I would rather do things right hte first time & not have to go back & change later.

Sooooooooo, will it hurt anything if I wait a while after my headers are installed to get the tune? I know it will trhow codes, but will it hurt anything? Or, I may just have to wait a bit longer to get them installed until I save enough to cover the installation & tune.
You'll be fine without a tune, you'll just have that annoying light.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

Sooooooooo, will it hurt anything if I wait a while after my headers are installed to get the tune? I know it will throw codes, but will it hurt anything? Or, I may just have to wait a bit longer to get them installed until I save enough to cover the installation & tune.
Hrrmm...I haven't heard that you have to buy the module. What if you get the tune through a dealer, like Matt@FSP? Maybe he will do the deposit thing. I'd look into that.

If you do headers without the tune...no it won't hurt your car. The light will come on due to the rear 02 sensors "sniffing" too much emissions in the exhaust, but these sensors are only used for monitoring. They will not tell the ECM to make adjustments, which is what the front 02 sensors would do.

But the tune will help performance when you get it.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Buy the IPF supercharger kit, you will get a tuning module then.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Get it dyno tuned that is the best way