Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Why are you getting the V6?

Just wondering why some of you chose the V6 over the V8.

For me, it's because I'm a college student and I want a car this is really good-looking and awesome, and I love the older Camaros, but something that's also not a gas guzzler and something that won't cost too much in insurance.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
gas mileage, lower insurance and lower price. still looks amazing! 305 HP is enough for me!

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Cheaper price point, better mileage, and I already have a big V8 for when I want to go really fast. Its a perfect daily driver upgrade from my current 93 cavalier.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
The V-6 has more HP than my 89 IROC-Z 5.7 and it's about 7K cheaper than the V-8 I would've gotten.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I may or may not get the LLT Camaro, but I'll tell you why I would get the V6 and be happy if that became the car I could afford.

It's fast. No—it isn't the LS3, but it is dominant among the pony cars and will run with the best Japan has to offer.

"It's still a Camaro." In the words of one of my coworkers, any Camaro is worthy of the name. It will still dominate Mustang and Challenger V6s, so it is still a winner in a lower class.

There's always a faster car. The V8 is a great road warrior, but there just isn't enough competition in that bracket. Competing with slightly faster cars in the 300-hp division might be fun. It's always great to be a winning underdog.

It's the ultimate sleeper. High-performance V6s are getting pretty popular. Expect to see some 400-hp LLT Camaros rolling around with their superior weight distribution (50-50) and their high-tech GM engines.

Look at it. No sacrifices have been made inside to separate the interiors. They look the same on the inside, so there's no feeling of missing out.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I may or may not get the LLT Camaro, but I'll tell you why I would get the V6 and be happy if that became the car I could afford.

It's fast. No—it isn't the LS3, but it is dominant among the pony cars and will run with the best Japan has to offer.

"It's still a Camaro." In the words of one of my coworkers, any Camaro is worthy of the name. It will still dominate Mustang and Challenger V6s, so it is still a winner in a lower class.

There's always a faster car. The V8 is a great road warrior, but there just isn't enough competition in that bracket. Competing with slightly faster cars in the 300-hp division might be fun. It's always great to be a winning underdog.

It's the ultimate sleeper. High-performance V6s are getting pretty popular. Expect to see some 400-hp LLT Camaros rolling around with their superior weight distribution (50-50) and their high-tech GM engines.

Look at it. No sacrifices have been made inside to separate the interiors. They look the same on the inside, so there's no feeling of missing out.

You hit the Nail right on the head :c lap::cla p:
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:

right on!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
jtaack

Drives: 2010 V6 2LT Imperial Blue
All of the Above!

jtaack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Rally Sport

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT
i agree with everything said above, the V8 would be cool but i'm not in the financial position to be making those payments, plus insurance (being only 22 that hurts a lot!), and of course gas money, but i'm not ashamed at all of that, this is one of the most advanced V6 engines in the world, i would almost feel bad driving the V8 because i feel like its being lazy just replacing technology with displacement with is an old school mind set and does not impress me, and finally the mods for the V6 should be KILLER!!! even just getting it tuned to run on premium gas would probably give you a big increase in power...
Rally Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
phlegm

Drives: '89 Bonneville; '10 2LT/RS
Well for me, being 22 and in college, my financials permitted me to either get the 2LT or 1SS. I figured that the power would be nice for a while, but I would rather have the creature features inside that I would probably benefit more from on a day to day basis.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:

I agree with most of what you've said. Only things I would disagree on would be that the v6 camaro is a pretty horrible sleeper in that it looks 95% like it's v8 sister car. There's nothing wrong in that, just that most people will think they rolled up next to a v8, and then wonder why they didn't get demolished. A nice sleeper is the cobalt ss. Also, I don't think the v6 will run with the best of japan, but it will run with most of what's in it's price range. The rest though, as i've said, I do agree with.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
gas mileage, lower insurance and lower price. still looks amazing! 305 HP is enough for me!
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
1. Price, at $24,670 for the one I am getting, it is $4,000 less than My Sky with 134 more horsepower and better features (although not a convertible)
2. I don't need 400-426 HP for the kind of driving I do every day.
3. I love the look of the V6 more then the V8
4. It's a Camaro!
5. 29 mpg highway is more than my Sky and close to the HHR...
6. All the reviews I have read on the V6 makes it seem like a better everyday car, and trip car than an SS would be.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
I'm looking at the total package of what I'm getting for my money. I don't need to be the fastest off the line and as someone said, there will always be a faster car out there. I've driven the CTS with the direct inject engine and it was great. I ordered a 2LT/RS so I get all the creature comforts I've come to enjoy. The 2SS would be another $7,000 or so for the same package plus the V8 and brakes. To me, that's a lot to spend on something that isn't going to make much, if any difference in my day to day driving. I'm not into racing and I don't do stop light drag racing any more.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote