Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
AizenDono

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Mods allowed on a bank owned, warranty covered Camaro

Hey all,

New Camaro owner and new camaro5 member here looking for some helpful insight. My 2012 2LT/RS is still covered under warranty and bank owned (only 4 months old). With that in mind I was looking for a nice list of "allowable" mods i could perform to make my car my own. clearly (in my mind) changing out any engine components would be a no-no, but would painting the calipers or various engine trim pieces be allowed?

I figure there has to be someone on here that's been in this predicament before.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
I am financed, was under warranty, and have a host of mods incl supercharger.... no problem
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Toross

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe
If its not a lease u can do anything u want as long as ur not destroying it. Engine mods aren't a no no. It's your car u make the payment to own it in the end.
Toross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
My bank owns my car for 22 more payments, then it's free and clear. I mod the shit out of mine. Why would the care what you do to your car? Unless it's leased then your wasting your money modding a car you will never own.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Toross

Hell even if u want to destroy it u can. U just still have to pay. Once that little paper says approved and u drive off the lot they can't say $h@t
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
AizenDono

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Good to know. I was thinking that since the bank technically owns it (until i finish paying it off) there would be certain things i couldn't do to it because, in their mind, if i failed to make payments and they repoed it they'd need to make sure it was still sell-able to recoup their money. although come to think of it...they won't have any problem selling a Camaro anyway, mods or not.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Toross

Yeah for the most part it's not gonna matter. They will never know what was done unless u don't pay on it. And if u sell it before its paid off then as long as u can get the pay off amount out of it or come up with the difference they don't care. Now if it were a case where they repo it and u have done something to highly devalue the car they would then make u use ur insurance to repair it. That's one of the reasons financed cars have to have full coverage.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toross View Post
If its not a lease u can do anything u want as long as ur not destroying it. Engine mods aren't a no no. It's your car u make the payment to own it in the end.
LOL...my 2001 SS was a lease and with 6800 miles on the odometer it had heads/cam/longtubes/gears etc. With 10,500 it had a 6pt roll cage in it.

Of course I sold it 3 months before the lease was up.

To the OP...you can do whatever the hell you wanna do to it...it's your car (as long as you pay for it)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Toross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
LOL...my 2001 SS was a lease and with 6800 miles on the odometer it had heads/cam/longtubes/gears etc. With 10,500 it had a 6pt roll cage in it.

Of course I sold it 3 months before the lease was up.

To the OP...you can do whatever the hell you wanna do to it...it's your car (as long as you pay for it)
Lol yeah I just meant technically. I know all to well what people do to leases. I once worked with a guy who did a wide body mod on his leased gti!! Then sold it 2 months later. Crazy!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
As said, it's yours. The warranty though is the other end, if you want that in tact then some mods may not be for you seeing as that is at the desecration of your dealer should something go wrong to your Camaro.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Toross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
As said, it's yours. The warranty though is the other end, if you want that in tact then some mods may not be for you seeing as that is at the desecration of your dealer should something go wrong to your Camaro.
Very good point. I got carried away about the bank thing and telling him to cut it to pieces and forgot to mention the warranty. They won't care about any mods, but gm may have something to say about it. Anything minor ur good, but if u want any major mods, most of all engine, check with ur dealer first.

Tags
2012 2lt/rs, mods, paint, warranty