Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
MPG issue?

I have a 2014 V6 with CAI intake, x pipe, MRT axle back. I can't get passed 19 mpg even at cruising on the highway at 80mph or lower. I have a 6 speed manual and I can drive it correctly. What could be the possible issue here. Car has 5,900 miles.
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
check your tire pressure, if they are low on air it will kill your mpg. make sure tires are cold when checking pressure.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
What octane gas do you run? I guess you don't have a catch can. Vacuum leaks? Pour a can of seafoam in the gas?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
dmginc

catch can shouldnt affect mpg, i dont have one yet and i get better mileage city then he does highway.

Chris in the DIC, what does it say your avg speed is?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Da2ss

Drives: Blueray metallic 2ss
Octane is not and issue on the v6 cars.....so I've read over and over
Da2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
catch can shouldnt affect mpg, i dont have one yet and i get better mileage city then he does highway.

Chris in the DIC, what does it say your avg speed is?
All engines work slightly differently from each other. His engine could go through oil faster than others or have had a different break in and thus need upper intake cleaning. Just spitballing.

Octane matters to an extent. We've discussed it, as you've said, over and over. Saying it doesn't matter at all is like still saying the Earth is flat - perfectly fine if you believe it, but that doesn't make it correct.

Anyway. Let's not make this another V6 gas grade topic. dmginc's question stands - average speed is another good reference.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
That's terrible, I Get 33 MPG highway with a 6 speed manual LFX.

Could be related to fuel pressure, map sensors, computer, and a ton of other stuff. Take it to the dealer... check fuel trims and fuel pressure for sure.

What are you getting CITY?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
I average around 30 mph in the city. I don't beat on my car. I range from 65-80 on the highways. It sticks at 19.8 mpg no matter what. It's crazy!
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
dmginc

next time you fill up reset your avg mpg and avg speed and see where it is at next fill up. also, what grade gas (87,89,91,93) are you running just out of curiosity? also check your tire pressure before you go anywhere.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
OP, I can tell you that my average MPG can vary widely depending on my driving habits. And I don't mean just how I drive, I mean where I drive and when I drive.

In the winter, my mileage takes a significant hit. Colder, denser air plus winter blended fuel plus extra idling time equals crappy MPG, like 18-19.

In the summer, if I commute all the way to work, I average at least 24 MPG I mixed city/highway driving, 31 miles each way (about 70/30 hwy/city).

If I only drive to the train station (about 5 miles away), my average drops to about 19-20 MPG. This route is about 50/50 hwy/city, and about 20‰ of that trip, the car is not warmed up.

A couple of weeks ago, on a freeway trip, with a strong tailwind, I got over 30 MPG over several hundred miles at 75-78 MPH.

Try this: next time you're on the highway, set your cruise control at say, 60 MPH. Be on a flat stretch of road. Then reset your MPG reading. See what your highway MPG is. If it's still that low, I'd say there's a problem, unless you're driving into a 40 MPH headwind.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
GDSPEED

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
I'm in the same boat as you. never seen more than 20 MPG average in my 14 2LT/RS...I always tell myself im going to drive normal and accelerate slowly to see if it improves my mpg by a lot but it never ends up lasting for the whole tank of gas
GDSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
dmginc

what i find strange is that i dont try to get good gas mileage...from a stop im in race mode till i hit the speed limit...then ill cruise in an appropriate gear. that said im averaging 22.7 right now with my avg speed being 33. i reset the avg speed and avg mpg 5 tanks of gas ago.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
what i find strange is that i dont try to get good gas mileage...from a stop im in race mode till i hit the speed limit...then ill cruise in an appropriate gear. that said im averaging 22.7 right now with my avg speed being 33. i reset the avg speed and avg mpg 5 tanks of gas ago.
I do this too! And my DIC says I'm averaging 23.5 around town currently. Average speed 32.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
DylanH

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Metallic RS Camaro
I have a 14 1LT RS and I average around 23 mpg with 87 octane and 26 mpg with 91. Mostly driving highway, but mine is stock still.
DylanH is offline   Reply With Quote